Mikasa, next?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks fastbike1

Now there is a possibility! There is even a 125 watt mono block to drool over. But I think the VTA ST-120 would serve Avebury well. The price is a steal, no doubt in my mind on that! I just have not earned my right to have it yet. I had a feeling my $500 budget was not realistic! This one is difinately on the list.

In the meantime, my freind has decided to give me the SAE for some services I can offer him. So, I am debating whether to restore it or sell it as is. It would make a good bass amp for my 777 system, and may even serve as a better amp for the Avebury while I earn for a VTA...

Possibilities are good...

Allen

Long time, no see

So what does one do when they have a good idea of what they want, but must wait to acquire it? I have three answers: work harder, make the most of what you have, and keep creating! I have decided to save up for either the VTA ST120 or the Hypex Ncore, time will tell which direction I will go (more on that below).

I have been working really hard while I can, as you never know what the future holds, especailly in my line of work. I have eight months left on my consumer debt from the past (it has been a longgggg journey), so I am making the amp a reward for myself when that is done (motivate me to maybe even finish sooner!) Pretty boring, I know, but I am glad I am learning to be a better steward finanicailly.

I did acquire a M-audio Fast Trac Pro ADC & DAC from a freind who bought a yamaha digital mixing/recording console. It certainly is better then the Realtek Audio in my computer. The tone is very similiar, but the Fast Trac has a more defined bass, which in turn seems to give the impression of a more vivid top end. It is overall more clear with more micro detail. Maybe not an Opus, but an improvement with the added benefit of two XLR mic/line inputs for recording (or a future measurement system)

Okay, now the fun stuff, as in making the most of what I have. I decided to try Avebury with my Fostex FW-305 in a woofer cabinet as a F.A.S.T. system. I have an old dbx subharmonic sythisizer with a built in active cross-over that can be set any where between 50Hz to 200Hz. The low pass is @6dB/octave and the high pass is @12dB/octave. At 50Hz, this just removed the felt bass from Avebury, creating an Avebury that had no bass clipping at all, pretty nice. The problem with that arrangement, is the FW-305 did not take up the slack too well. I got the same amount of felt bass, but it wasn't as "fast" and clean as Avebury on its own. The FW-305 was more comfortable playing at 200Hz and below, suggesting to me, that it is more of a woofer and a sub-woofer. At this setting, I could turn up the mid-bass and get a bigger sound feild, of course, then the mid-bass was fatter then it should be! I also found that this setting did not have the sub-sonic impact as the Avebury on its own. The conclusion I came to is if one was to do a fast system with Avebury, you would need to design a true sub-woofer as Avebury can handle it pretty well 50-80Hz on up for as loud as I would ever want to go. Avebury does not need bass 100-200Hz assistance! In fact, if you where to go that high, you do not need a cabinet as big as Avebury.

This Fast system experiment lead me to get Audacity to have access to some 10Hz - 100Hz test tones, which my current tone generater could not do. The results of these tests where quite insiteful. First of all, Avebury is indeed solid down to 40Hz, it can even do 35Hz, but after that, it flops around in the wind, accomplishing nothing. So, if you are running this system full-range, it would be wise to run a sub-sonic filter at 35Hz, esp with movies, that has content as low as 10Hz! :eek: The other surprise I found is that the Alpair 12 speaker could reproduce a 40Hz sound cleanly, no air noise or static, up to clipping, which is even handled with grace! Hats off to Mark on this one, very impressive! The FW-305 - a 12" woofer, had lots of air noise, and pops at clipping - a heart breaking moment, as I have always been fond of this driver. It just means it is not meant for a Sub-woofer, it is best suited as a Mid-bass in my 777 system!

Now for the sad part of this story. During these tests, I noticed I could play these single tones to some pretty loud levels, thru my Chip Amps with no distortion or clipping at the usual levels. Infact I was noticing that the single tones where playing louder then I would ever need them to, but why not with music or movies. Part of it is the unneeded sub 35Hz stuff, especailly for movies, and part of it, is needing more power for multi frequecy signals. But the rest is due to intermolulation distortion. When playing two tones at the same time, say 40Hz and 1kHz I found that the 1kHz would "osolate" at louder levels before amp clipping. Limitations, limitations... So even if I padded out the sub 35Hz signal, got the amp I want, I would still fall pray to the limitation of IM distortion at the loudest levels. The bar is set pretty high and I am amazed that Avebury has made it to this point, after all, we are talking about a 6" speaker! So, if I continue down the Avebury path, I will be considering a true subwoofer system. Not easy living the dream!

Attachments

• FastFW305.jpg
    FastFW305.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 216
But the story continues...

Through out this journey with the fast system, vintage amps and the such, I have been going thru all this stuff, getting ready to sell the stuff I no longer "need" to continue living the dream. I have gone thru all the components of my 777 system, set it up, listened to it, but keep coming back to Avebury's 3D sound. I liked the bigger sound field using the FW-305 at 200Hz with the Avebury, but did not like the less dynamic fat sound of this set up...

..So getting to the bottom of the pile of stuff, I found a box full of 30 - 4" pioneer NSF drivers. I have been always courious about line arrays, but never got around to building one. And after having some nice drivers, like the Fostex FF-225 and now the Alpair 12, I never really thought it would be worth the time building an array for these cheap pioneer drivers... Then you got comb filtering and EQ to worry about. But I could not let it go, I had to try it, as I did not want to always wonder if I should have tried it. So my version of the "stupid cheap line array" was born:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/193015-stupid-cheap-line-array-30.html

The cabinet is a total hack job compared to the Avebury build: regualer plywood, some particale board, very little chip board, not enough bracing, fibre glass insulation stuffing... This was a send no money, cheap, hill-billy build. Infact, the cabinet, at the moment is not even glued, in case I did not like the cabinet, I could use the wood for other stuff! Avebury was a proven design, I went all out, this array is a proto type. I call it, my Cheap and Cheerful project. :)

Attachments

• ArrayvsAvebury.jpg
    ArrayvsAvebury.jpg
    796.5 KB · Views: 200
  • 15array.jpg
    15array.jpg
    328.7 KB · Views: 206
Avebury -Vs- Cheap and Cheerful

This was and still is a lot of fun! Quite honestly, I was not expecting much from the Array. But even without EQ, I have to say, I really like the sound scape these throw out. With EQ (in Foobar), these sound better then they perhaps deserve to! Not as refined as Avebury, esp in the high. And this array does not even touch the bass capacity of Avebury. It can't even do 40Hz, although, that may have more to do with the leaky cabinet then anything else.

BUT, the array does something that I have always wanted a sound system to do - emcompass me in sound! These have that cool live scale sound like my 777 system did, with the 3D sound feild of Avebury! A win win!

Now that is not to say Avebury sounds small in comparison, becuase it throws out a big sound scape also. The main diference as I perceive it is:

With Avebury, you are enjoying the show closer to the back of the auditorium - a more of "the music is over there" feeling.

With Cheap and Cheerful, you are in the show! - a "music is here" turning my living room into what ever venue the band is playing.

I have not had a chance to enjoy the EQ'ed version of the Array for movies, as Media Player disables the EQ for movie play back BOOO :confused: They tend to be shouty without EQ.

But, given even the negative of comb filtering, which is really no big deal, the array has a huge sweet spot, and sounds even thru out the room. Sure, you can hear the treble "swish" with vertical movements, but Avebury completely changes, every where!

So at this point, I maybe giving Avebury a rest, and persueing a better array. Even Cheap and Cheerful is worthy of a glued cabinet, with more bracing, better stuffing, and cabinet design. I will post those developements on the "stupid cheap line array" thread

Avebury, as far as Bandwidth, Downward Dynamic Range, and driver design is still the bar to beat. Is it possible to have those traits in an array? I am thinking of the smaller Mark Audio drivers, it is a shame they have those big surrounds! Hint Hint...

As always, God Bless you all ;)

Allen

Avebury Measurements

I finally took the plunge, and bought myself a measurement mic and TrueRTA. I have not set-up true RTA yet, as the main reason I got that is to help me with the array project. The measurements here are from Holm Inpulse, which seems like a really good program, esp for the price (freeware). You can callibrate your DAC to get a more acturite reading, which I have not done yet. All in due time.

But for the fun of it, here are my initial measurements of Avebury in my room.

Keep in mind, this is not an acoustic chamber I am taking these in, nor are they at 1 meter. These measurements here are taken at my actual listening positions in my 10 X 14 foot room with 9 foot ceilings. My floor is carpeted. The blue line shows the response when listening on my couch. The red is just in front of the couch and the green is in front of the computer. I smoothed the response at 1/24 octave. If you remember, I liked the midrange infront of the couch, (note the smoothness) but as you can see, the most average even overall response is indeed the couch! I definately have some bass issues to deal with.

All and all, I think Avebury measures well, and achieves what I believe Scott intented, which is a good overall power response. It is safe to say that manufactures smooth their response out alot, however, some of the jaggedness is indeed room interaction too - as seen by the smoother mid-range of the central position (red). But I think our brain does a lot of smoothing also, as when I play test tones myself, it sounds pretty even :)

Attachments

• ListeningAll.jpg
    ListeningAll.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 125
  • Listeningcouch.jpg
    Listeningcouch.jpg
    231 KB · Views: 119
  • Listeningcentre.jpg
    Listeningcentre.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Listeninggame.jpg
    Listeninggame.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 42
Avebury positions

If you remember, I tried Avebury in diferent positions, so I measured them to see if indeed the difference in sound stage and livelyness can indeed be measured. The blue shows the Avebury right next to the side walls, about 2 1/2 feet from the back wall. In this position, I hear the biggest surrounding soundstage with a slightly weak centre stage. If you remember also, I heard a bass cancellation going on at 200 Hz. The red line shows my "normal" positions, about one foot from the side walls and 2 1/2 feet from the back wall. This gives the best overall soundstage: as in a slight sacrifice of surrounding stage and a better centre stage. Still a cancellation at 200Hz. The green line shows the cabinets about four feet apart, by the TV, two feet from the side walls and two feet from the back wall. There was no soundstage width or 3D at all in this position, I found the sound overall to be dead and lifeless. I did not "hear" the 200 Hz bass cancellation as much here, but none the less it is still there. But I am keeping in mind that these measurements are only reflecting the use of one channel, I should try them again running both channels in mono - see how the two channels interact with each other, esp the bass. This might be a better job for RealRTA. The surprising thing, is the bass below 100 Hz was the same no matter where Avebury was placed. This is more listening position influeneced. But the good news about that, if one was to go with a FAST system, they could place the main system where it soundstages the best and put the sub-woofer where it works the best.

Really, there is not that much difference between the measurements, but the difference I hear in sound stage is huge, so sound stage is very position dependent. It seems my normal position has more high, which may give me an overall sense of liveliness.

Attachments

• PostionTV.jpg
    PostionTV.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Postioncomprimised.jpg
    Postioncomprimised.jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 39
  • Postionwall.jpg
    Postionwall.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 32
  • PostionsAll.jpg
    PostionsAll.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 37
Baffle build-up

I am sure some of you have noticed that I have my Avebury on the swap meets, as I really like what the Cheap and Cheerful array does, so I would like to persue a better build of an array with better drivers...

However, my Avebury cabinets do have some issues to address, mainly the driver not being rebated and some minor air leaks. As it appears that no one wants to deal with these issues, and I do not blame them, I have decided to finish these cabinets to my original vision.

Here are some photos of the solid maple and oak mosaic I am adding to the front to rebate the driver and give the final finish some depth. I have considered staining the sides as they are to show the joinery, but I do not think it will look good with the fronts. I have considered veneering them or painting them to look like Avebury stone! Someone even recommended a straight black, which would off set the front very nicely, but may be too dark for something this big. All suggestions are welcome. It will take some time to glue up the fronts so...

But I am glad I measured these, as it will be interesting also, to see if the front baffle and driver rebateing has an influence on the measured response.

Either way, if you are looking to build a single driver system that has excellent overall power response, this is the system to build, the measurements prove that! In my mind they are still the reference system to beat. If tonality was my main thing, I would be done. Avebury has some of the fastest bass I have ever heard and there is heaps of detail and no shout in the mid-range. But there is something the array does that I have always wanted a sound system to do: create a present, emcompassing life sized sound feild. I would hope that I can build an array system that can do the tonality and detail like Avebury. The Avebury has the true to lfe tonality, and the Cheap and Cheerful array has the True to Life sized sound feild. Both are good at recreating a 3D sound stage at their respective scales. I have learned a lot on the Avebury journery and would hope someone else could continue the joy of learning I have had with this system...

God Bless

Allen

Attachments

• Bafflebegins.jpg
    Bafflebegins.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 162
  • Baffledrivercutout.jpg
    Baffledrivercutout.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 161
  • Frontbafflepieces.jpg
    Frontbafflepieces.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 164
  • Bafflepieces.jpg
    Bafflepieces.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
200 Hz Dip

Here is a measurement of my Cheap and Cheerful array. The reason I am including it here, is becuase there is also a 200 Hz cancellation in this system too. This is indeed a room and listening position problem, not an Avebury flaw. You will note that it is less of an issue when I listen to Avebury at my computer. So...

Attachments

• CheapandCheerful.jpg
    CheapandCheerful.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 163
Allen,

Good to see the experiments continuing. I haven't been able to put the Tubelab PP amp together yet. In the meantime I've made a set of speakers with CSS EL-70 (also made by Mark Fenlon) drivers in Dave's Mar-Kel70 box - they do a very impressive job for the size of driver and cabinet.

Hopefully another build next month with the Alp 12P which is nearing the end of break in period..

After building several cabinets, I finally feel comfortable with a square cuts on MDF. (no table saw)

I was thinking about Harvey but like the Mikasa cabinet due to no angle cuts. I have one of my favorite "el cheapo" speaker laying around (4 1/2") with following specs.

Power capacity: 20W/30W RMS/peak
Sensitivity: 96dB (1W/1M)
Impedance: 8ohm
Re: 7.6ohm
Le: 0.25mH
Frequency response: 68Hz ~ 15KHz
Fs: 68Hz
Qts: 0.38
Qes: 0.47
Qms: 1.40
VAS (liters): 8.7
Xmax: 1.0mm

from http://www.mcminone.com/product.asp?catalog_name=MCMProducts&product_id=51-075

Scottmoose, should I just follow the cookbook pdf file?

thanks for all your help.

gychang

I seriously doubt that this speaker (4"1/2 dia) would give you real 96 db/w meter. Even with baffle step you'll probably end with 89/90 db, maybe even less!

You're welcome!

Yeah, it's like the old muscle car horsepower 'race' where peak HP was usually either an outright lie or at an unusable RPM. I only hit a particular Corvette's HP peak one time and got a dropped valve/holed piston for my effort.

Anyway, I check every driver I'm dealing with:

n0 % = 9.6352e-10*Vas*Fs^3*[1/Qes]

Sens [dBa] = 112.018+[10*log10[n0]]

Sens [dBv] = 112.018+[10*log10[9.6352e-10*Vas*Fs^3*8/[Qes*Znom]

Hope I copied this right, it's from an Excel SS done by someone far more math oriented than me.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.