Matching horns to compression drivers, a discussion

• Take whatever driver you for which you have data (even imaginary) and show us an example of calculating its flare rate and other needed parameters.
  • From that calculation, determine a horn expansion or flare that would match well to the driver.
  • Start with a horn, try to determine its m and then we can figure if a certain driver is a good match or not.
I thought that's exactly what I had already done when presenting those examples for the JBL 2450J in this post, and then again for the Radian 950PB here and the TAD TD-4001 here.

Anyhow, here we go again:

Driver: JBL 2450J
diameter at phase plug exit = 3.8 cm, therefore S1 = 11.3 cm2;
diameter at internal throat exit = 4.9 cm, therefore S2 = 18.9 cm2
internal throat length L = 6.3 cm

Equivalent exponential cut-off frequency of internal throat: Fc = 343/(4*Pi*0.063)*ln(18.9/11.3) = 220 Hz
Equivalent exponential flare rate of internal throat: m = 4*Pi*221/343 = 8.1

A purely exponential horn with a throat area of 18.9 cm2 and the same Fc = 220Hz (i.e., m(constant) = 8.1) would thus be a perfect match.

A Hypex horn with a throat area of 18.9 cm2 and Fc = 320Hz and T = 0.7 would also be a perfect match, since its flare rate m (no longer constant, but varying with distance from throat) happens to start at 8.1 and then grow monotonically from there.

This is less straightforward/intuitive, but it can be verified by calculating m(x) numerically and iteratively (starting at x = 0 and using tiny increments of x, e.g., dx = 0.05 cm), from its very definition: m(x) = 1/S(x) * dS(x)/dx

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
Can't help with your spreadsheet, but JBL claimed the flare rate was around 160 Hz on the old style drivers:
https://usermanual.wiki/JBL/tnv1n21.608649286/view

" JBL Technical Note Volume 1 Number 21

When the JBL 375 compression driver was designed during the fifties, it was based on the exit geometry of the original Western Electric 594 driver. Subsequent variations, such as the JBL 2441, 2445, and 2450 family all maintained the original exit geometry and were designed to work with four decades of horn hardware with 50 mm (2 in) throat diameter.

By our calculations, the initial flare rate in the older driver design was approximately 160 Hz, reflecting the need to drive the very large horns that were used in early motion picture systems. Today, we can double or quadruple that flare rate, inasmuch as many horns are now intended for nominal crossover at 800 Hz."

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hi Pano,

I'm trying to get those numbers working for me in a spreadsheet that will calculate Fc and m (flare rate), but so far am having a little trouble. I'll report back later.
Please let me know if you get stuck, I had created a spreadsheet that calculates Fc from m and vice versa as well as m from a set of S(x), and I will find it.

Kindest regards,

M

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
@marco_gea I'll have Jason look at file types again. It should be xls or xlsx (the new, zipped version) for uploads. .ods would be nice too.

I've been cruising around your spreadsheet, it's quite a lot of work you've put into it. Bravo. The graph with the driver throat, adapter and horn and throat continuations is very handy and allows rapid checks. In the sheet there are only 10 unprotected cells where the user can input data. Some of them are obvious, some are not (too me)

1680615860915.png

Cells that are obvious
  • D14 = L from chosen driver in top table
  • D15 = d0 from chosen driver in top table
  • G20 = Fc of hypex horn
  • G21 = T of hypex horn

Cells I don't understand
  • G17 = dx from driver data?
  • E14 = unknown
  • E15 = same as G17?
  • E17 = adapter exit?
  • E18 = adapter exit?
I will keep experimenting with it, perhaps I'll figure out all the cells. Thanks again for posting this, it's a great tool for visualizing and understanding the matching of horns and drivers.

• E14 = length of throat adapter
  • E15 = diameter of throat adapter entry
  • E17 = height of throat adapter exit
  • E18 = width of throat adapter exit

It is assumed that the throat adapter transitions from a round entry (on the driver side) to a rectangular exit (on the horn side).
E15 should be equal to driver exit diameter (D17), but the spreadsheet allows for some slight mismatch (e.g., 5cm vs 4.9cm)

Hi Pano,

I found my spreadsheet, but see that marco_gea has already provided you with his, which is much nicer than mine.

One item that I added was calculating the m for the "int.throat (conical)", since the conical expansion has variable flare rate, but it was done because I was interested how the m changes along the length, and because I was trying to re-create Fig. 4 from Tom Danley's "A White Paper on Danley Sound Labs Tapped Horn and Synergy Horn Technologies".

Kindest regards,

M

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
OK. Here is a list of the cell functions you need

• D14 = L from chosen driver in top table
  • D15 = d0 from chosen driver in top table
  • G20 = Fc of hypex horn
  • G21 = T of hypex horn
  • E14 = length of throat adapter
  • E15 = diameter of throat adapter entry
  • E17 = height of throat adapter exit
  • E18 = width of throat adapter exit

ra7

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Not to intervene in this healthy and fruitful discussion (I am learning too), but how do snoutless drivers play into the horn matching? For example, the JBL 2452 1.5” exit driver has the exit right at the end of the phase plug. Does this mean it is a good match for a larger variety of horns?