Matching horns to compression drivers, a discussion

Joined 2004
Paid Member
What I found insane with the 745Neo that the screws of the back cover at the same time fixed the diaphragm! This is a no go for me. I am not sure if the larger drivers have the same issue but if you are unsure how to correctly align a diaphragm then hands off ;-)
I beg to opine differently! After realigning my diaphragms (very easy to do) I can state that I actually like this construction. It allows one to realign the diaphragm without removing the back cover. Much safer!

Maybe I should explain... It is a trial and error process while you measure with REW. Untighten screws, wiggle diaphragm, retighten screws, measure and repeat. Wether the screws are the diaphragm screws or the back cover screws, the process is the same. Just safer if the diaphragm is not exposed to the screwdriver.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
@marco_gea Thank you very much for your thorough explanation in post #85. (y)
Your post answers some of my questions, but of course raises others.
there are ALSO other goals worth pursuing, such as, as already mentioned multiple times elsewhere in this thread, avoiding sharp discontinuities in terms of internal angles at the driver-adaptor and adaptor-horn joints.
This is often mentioned and I believe well understood by many builders. And shouldn't this already be taken care of when we find an optimum match to the flare rates?

You've made it clear in point 2 that there can be only one ideal match between the conical horn throat expansion and an expo or hypex horn, but that we try to get as close a match as possible. In the paper above by Marcel Batík, he writes of the effects of reflections that occur from the mismatches in the expansion rate. This is easy to understand. What is more difficult to understand is how to determine the flare rate. You posted this:
A few definitions first. For an expanding duct of area Sx at distance x from the origin, the "flare rate" m is defined as m = 1/Sx * dSx/dx.
If the expansion of the duct is exponential (T = 1 in Salmon's equation), then m is constant throughout.
If the expansion profile is Hypex with 0 < T < 1 (to increase loading in the vicinity of the "cut-off" frequency Fc), then m increases monotonically along x.
Can you explain this further for those of us who don't know the maths? That way we can perhaps work on these calculations ourselves. What does each part mean and how do we use it?
Sx is the area of the duct?
m is the flare rate
what is "d"? the distance from the origin of the duct? If so, why do we have "at distance x from the origin"? Are x and d the same thing? Please clarify d
"If the expansion of the duct is exponential (T = 1 in Salmon's equation), then m is constant throughout." Is m constant throughout for a conical horn?

Basically, you measure S1, S2 and L and calculate the equivalent exponential flare rate (and Fc) accordingly.
That can by nearly impossible for most of us. We will always know S2, and if we are lucky we will know L, but throat Length is rarely stated in driver specs or shown in mechanical drawings. But does it matter? If we know S2 and the exit angle, we can calculate S1 at any give L. The part that I don't understand is why does L matter if it's a cone?
Does a conical horn have a cutoff frequency? Obviously this is confusing to me, and I'd like to know more about the steps.

Once that is clear (at least to me and some other readers) we can move on to practical matters of how we determine these things on existing devices and make wise choices.

• Thank You
Reactions: 1 user
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
There's a simple solution to the curvature mismatch
On page 21 of Marcel Batík's paper, he says: "However, many compression drivers contain a segment of a conical duct as their exit section and even if the slopes of the walls match at the driver/waveguide interface, there will be a wave reflection from this curvature discontinuity." He shows this image which is similar to the graphics I posted earlier in the thread.
1680445234613.png

To solve this discontinuity he proposes inserting a ring into the driver throat that will effectively extend the horn's profile down to the driver's phase plug. This has occurred to me from time to time, but in somewhat less sophisticated terms. :)

This is often mentioned and I believe well understood by many builders. And shouldn't this already be taken care of when we find an optimum match to the flare rates?
Not necessarily. Matching the flare rates (first priority) could still lead to some discontinuity in the wall angles.
You've made it clear in point 2 that there can be only one ideal match between the conical horn throat expansion and an expo or hypex horn
Only ONE exponential horn (same Fc as driver's internal throat equivalent exponential Fc), but multiple hypex horns if one can change both T and Fc to match the horn's initial flare rate m at its throat to that of the driver's internal throat (eq. exp).
Sx is the area of the duct?
Sx ( more rigorously written: S(x) ) is the area of the wavefront surface at distance x from the origin.
what is "d"?
dSx/dx ( more rigorously written: d[S(x)]/d[x] ) is the first derivative of the equation for the surface area, relative to the distance x.

Is m constant throughout for a conical horn?
m (flare rate) is NOT constant in a conical horn. The only horns for which m is constant are pure exponentials.

Also, no cutoff frequency (Fc) is strictly defined for a conical horn. In conical horns, driver loading is determined by its solid angle (wider angle = less loading at lower frequencies).
The part that I don't understand is why does L matter if it's a cone?

L matters if one wants to calculate the flare rate (and Fc) of the equivalent exponential duct that shares the same S1, S2 and L as the driver's actual conical internal throat. All three values are required to identify a specific exponential expansion profile.
Can you explain this further for those of us who don't know the maths?
I'm afraid the only way to calculate the equivalent exponential parameters m and Fc, starting from measurements of S1, S2 and L is to actually use the appropriate/correct maths:

Fc = c/(4*Pi*L)*ln(S2/S1)
m = 4*Pi*Fc/c

where:
ln = natural logarithm (base e)
Pi = 3.141...
c = speed of sound = 343 m/s @ 20ºC
(L is likewise given in metres)

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Matching the flare rates (first priority) could still lead to some discontinuity in the wall angles.
If there's a discontinuity in wall angles, real wavefront curvatures will be different and so will be the actual flare rates.

This solution addresses the wall angle discontinuity, but not necessarily the mismatch in flare rates.
It actually solves both at the same time.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Only ONE exponential horn (same Fc as driver's internal throat equivalent exponential Fc), but multiple hypex horns if one can change both T and Fc
Ah ha, thanks. I may have accidentally demonstrated that early in the thread. ✅
In conical horns, driver loading is determined by its solid angle (wider angle = less loading at lower frequencies).
OK, yes. This can easily be seen Hornresp sims. ✅
m (flare rate) is NOT constant in a conical horn.
Sorry to me thick, but I do not understand this. Perhaps it is the word "rate" that is confusing me, I don't understand the meaning of rate. I'll have to run some numbers to understand it.
Sx is the area of the wavefront surface
Understood. I was thinking area of the duct section, but Sx is the area of the wavefront surface. ✅

Sorry to me thick, but I do not understand this. Perhaps it is the word "rate" that is confusing me, I don't understand the meaning of rate. I'll have to run some numbers to understand it.
"rate" as in "rate of change", i.e., how quickly something changes, along a specified variable dimension (which can be distance, time, etc.)

Mathematically, the "flare rate" m of a horn at each distance x from the throat is defined as the first derivative of the equation for the surface area, relative to the distance x, divided by the value of the surface area itself, measured at the same distance x.

Last edited:
  • Thank You
Hi marco_gea,

But the main issue with many "modern" drivers is that the internal equivalent cut-off frequency is rather high, thereby precluding meeting this condition of yours.
Could this be solved by the adapter with the correct flare rate extending from the adapter-to-horn interface into the (conical) opening of the driver? Or, would this disturb the wave shape generated by the phase plug?

Kindest regards,

M

Hi Pano,

That can by nearly impossible for most of us. We will always know S2, and if we are lucky we will know L, but throat Length is rarely stated in driver specs or shown in mechanical drawings
If one is willing to remove the protective screen, one can measure the depth (L) by e.g., a caliper or micrometer. The diameter (and then calculating S1) can be accomplished by either measurement, e.g., bore gauge, internal diameter caliper, and the like, or alternatively, if the included angle is known by simple math form diameter at S2 and L.

Kindest regards,

M

Reactions: 1 users
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Yes, it shouldn't be too hard when you have the driver and want to remove the bug screen. Unfortunately we don't know these dimensions for most drivers and the info isn't supplied but the manufactures. Currently we have to do a best guess off the info we do have.

This might be seen as the second part of the problem. Even if you know how to figure out what driver geometry might but fit our horn - or vice-versa - we don't know the geometry of the many drivers available.

Hi Pano,

. . . we don't know the geometry of the many drivers available
You are, of course, correct. I made the (inappropriate) assumption that one has the driver, a horn, or both and is trying to find the "best match" as described by marco_gea.

Saying that, such a situation may be very likely, hence my question in post # 111.

Kindest regards,

M

Could this be solved by the adapter with the correct flare rate extending from the adapter-to-horn interface into the (conical) opening of the driver?
Potentially, yes. I imagine it may be tricky to manufacture such an extended adapter to the required tolerances, though.
would this disturb the wave shape generated by the phase plug?
That would depend on the specific geometry of the phase plug itself - which sadly is rarely (if ever) disclosed by the manufacturers.

Reactions: 1 users
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks Marco, but isn't that showing a horn entrance the same size as the driver exit? The angle is very different, that's true.
Of course you might truncate the horn and build an adapter than fits into the driver throat. If the driver opening is larger than the horn opening, you could also build your adapter to do down into the throat, which might be possible. Or use a ring adapter inside the driver throat.
But if you had to stay external to the driver, the driver exit would need to be smaller than the horn entrance.

Last edited:
Hi Pano,

Thanks Marco, but isn't that showing a horn entrance the same size as the driver exit?

I was contemplating the adapter to be inserted into the driver throat, in which case it would actually be better to have as large an included angle as possible. In fact, if one were really lucky, the adapter would end at the same diameter as the phasing plug, thus avoiding the problem of interference that I was alluding to.

Hm, perhaps the driver's exit could be re-machined if such an operation would not affect the magnetic circuit.

Hi Marco,

Potentially, yes. I imagine it may be tricky to manufacture such an extended adapter to the required tolerances, though.
My friend has printed a gauge for measuring external screws' diameters, and it is amazingly accurate.

Kindest regards,

M

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I'm afraid the only way to calculate the equivalent exponential parameters m and Fc, starting from measurements of S1, S2 and L is to actually use the appropriate/correct maths:

Fc = c/(4*Pi*L)*ln(S2/S1)
m = 4*Pi*Fc/c

where:
ln = natural logarithm (base e)
Pi = 3.141...
c = speed of sound = 343 m/s @ 20ºC
(L is likewise given in metres)
OK, Marco, we are making good progress. Are you willing to walk us thru this with a few examples that we can learn from?
For example
  • Take whatever driver you for which you have data (even imaginary) and show us an example of calculating its flare rate and other needed parameters.
  • From that calculation, determine a horn expansion or flare that would match well to the driver.
  • Start with a horn, try to determine its m and then we can figure if a certain driver is a good match or not.
Not open only to Marco, anyone who can give us examples so that we can learn is welcome to do so.