Mark Audio CHR-70 Application Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Simple question - do the CHR's need any break-in to bring to moderate volume as I have read about Alpair drivers?

Ouf, tough question. I started at low levels as I connected them to the Pc for 10 or 15 hours.
Today I integrated them into my stereo system crossed to a subwoofer at 80hz 36db/oct and I guess I "bring them to a moderate volume" ;)

There was nothing bad or unusual audible. However, I think it's not bad if you follow the advice given by Mark Audio. IMHO, you shoulden't simply push them over their limits/x-linear at any time.

Greetings, Alex

Last edited:
Simple question - do the CHR's need any break-in to bring to moderate volume as I have read about Alpair drivers?

Hi T, bigaudioscotto and guys,
Apologies on my part as I've concentrated on Alpairs. bigaudioscotto's advice is good: 30 hours of low volume gentle music is nice run-in for CHR-70, BB4-AL, EL-70 and CHP-70 (Japan and German models). After this time, gradually increase usage to average listening levels.

FYI:
The CHR-70 Gen.2 will take a bit more stick than the Gen. 1 version. CHR-70, EL-70, BB4-AL and CHP-70 are designed with more experimentation in mind and for wider applications, so they are more robust than the Alpairs. From memory, there's some posts from a member who ran his CHR's to near destruction, damaged them and they still kept going. This was extreme experimentation to see what CHR's could deliver. However, to get normal service life, it's best to moderate volume levels for any full-ranger, as few (if any) can handle higher power.

Member AlexGER's advice is good: "IMHO, you shoulden't simply push them over their limits/x-linear at any time", is best applied to all full-rangers.

For CHR-70 (Gen.2), BB4-AL, EL-70 and CHP-70, recon on using up to 3.0-mm of X (1 way) for the non-linear peak load (roll of the drum, clash of symbols). A well matched cab design using this amount of excursion will produce pleasing bass.

Cheers

Mark.

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thanks for the recommendations.

I am going to try these Open Baffle at first. Cross over at 300hz, with an Alpha 15a on the bottom end.
I am going to compare them to FE103 (dirt old) 4" radio shack full ranger and 3" FF85ks that haunt around in my basement.

outdoor powered CHR-70s?

ok... may be a stretch here and way out of my area of knowledge. I'm thinking about using some CHR-70 drivers I have to build some small outdoor speakers. I've been searching for a decent receiver that will fit in my bookshelf to power them and the only I've found is the Sherwood r-904n which comes in around $500 to my door. For that price, and considering I already have a preamp that fits my bookshelf, as well as an extra low-voltage lighting transformer, is it crazy to consider some weatherproof powered CHR-70-based speakers running off a 12v transformer and fed line-level inputs from my preamp? Bottom line is I have about 100 ft to the furthest speaker. I have two concerns outside of my comfort area: 1) length of the run, and 2) low quality of the power supply. Which of these is the bigger concern, and are there any reasonably low-cost ways to address them? If so, can anyone recommend a simple low-cost single channel DIY amplifier that would mate well with the CHr-70s? Thanks in advance.

Skinny folded halfTower with front exiting terminus.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

folded halfTower 0v8 map

Someone build it and report back. Based on the microTowers built already should work fine

Would need to be reworked for the EL70

dave

Hi,Dave

Initially I planed to put CHR-70 in Toll70 for my new near-field (1-2m) speakers but then I noticed this interesting project that to my knowledge should have better low freq transient response and maybe go lower than BR speaker (maybe I'm wrong).
The plan is pretty vague about lining of damping material (copy-paste from non-folded plan?) so here's couple of questions:

1. Are you using low or high density acoustic fiberglass for damping?
2. What about lamb's wool?
3. The inner width is only 140mm so one side of 25mm acoustic material seems pretty thick especially at the driver position.
4. The pictures show how I'd like to build speakers and the damping material position. Will that be OK?

Thanks,
Damir

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 721
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 726
The champher on the top id going to screw up the vent length.

Should notice that I changed panel thickness to 19mm so full lenght of port is 162mm and effective length is (143+162)/2=152.5mm (close to yours 154mm). Will that be OK?

Probably the eeasiest route is to stuff 1st 2/3rds of the line...

Like that? I have the choice of polyester or lamb's wool. What is better?

BTW, is that project for gen. 1 or 2 CHR-70 or both?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 720
Hmmmm...just picked a couple pairs of these up. Was wondering if I reworked the front baffle of my Chili Changs if I might use two or even three of these drivers in the Chili cabinet....any thoughts on this.

My wife hates these Chilis and at some point they have to go, in fact they are for sale on the swap meet threads. No takers to date so I am thinking of experimenting with them a little. Maybe just remove the 167 from the baffle and use a thin piece of ply to fit over the face and cut two holes for the 70's?
Any thoughts?

Hmmmm...just picked a couple pairs of these up. Was wondering if I reworked the front baffle of my Chili Changs if I might use two or even three of these drivers in the Chili cabinet....any thoughts on this.

My wife hates these Chilis and at some point they have to go, in fact they are for sale on the swap meet threads. No takers to date so I am thinking of experimenting with them a little. Maybe just remove the 167 from the baffle and use a thin piece of ply to fit over the face and cut two holes for the 70's?
Any thoughts?

What exactly doe she hate about the Chilis? If it's the size/aesthetics, I can highly recommend a different design for dual CHR (or EL) 70s :

138650d1250013844-mark-audio-chr-70-application-thread-microtower-comp2.jpg

my personal favorite for room placement flexibility and soundstage presentation is the version on the left.

another design that has been quite successful with this size driver (but which I've not yet heard) is the bipole Metronome

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member

...Any thoughts?

I don't have the capability of predicting the effects of the horn loading of the vents, but 3 drivers per box looks like it could work based on a more primitive sim and a bit of guesswork.

Scott?

dave

You know, thinking about it, I could do this without destroying them. I could place an aluminum 1/8" thick plate over the Fostex hole and mount a single onto the plate...and adaptor of sorts. Then I could cut the holes out for the other two drivers on each side, Kinda like the Lotusx2 but making a Lotusx3. If it doesn't work out it would be very easy to cover the side holes and return them back to a Fostex driver.

Dave, what about putting a single CHR70 on the front baffle and then use two of the less expensive Eh70's (I think that's what they are called, the paper coned one that is basically the same size) on either side? What would need to be done to tune it properly once it is set up? Maybe fill the CC a little or block part of the outlets into each horn a little? If I can't sell them as they are (and they are very nice...) then I guess it would be fun to try something like this and report it back here.
So Dave, you think three would be optimal? What about four, two on the front and one on each side....or maybe one on every side, close to a true monopole?
If I did three driver I was thinking of running the two side drivers in parallel then run both of those in series with the front. Any other suggestions on What to do here?
Dave, do you have any of the plain, cheap EH 70's for sale at your site? I would need another pair to do this.
Thanks,
Jeff

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Dave, what about putting a single CHR70 on the front baffle and then use two of the less expensive Eh70's (I think that's what they are called, the paper coned one that is basically the same size) on either side?

The idea of side mounting #2&3 was my 2nd thot after the obvious short array.

EL70 is at least 3 dB more efficient than CHR so mixing is very problematic. It also wants a larger box (so a very weaj analysis would indicate 2 in the volume of Chli), so i'd discard the idea. EL70 & CHR70 are about the same price, if anything CHR is cheaper (shipping from Wisconsin vrs BC).

dave

Which ones to build?

Hi guys,

I'm having trouble deciding which cabinets to build for my first project. I was thinking of the pensils but from my listening position in bed I would be looking down on them and they would be partially obscured by the end of the bed and the bedposts, would that matter? I'm also thinking about some speaker on stands that I could put right at the end of the bed or bookshelves on the bedside tables either side. Another option would be on top of the bedposts which stop 400m from the ceiling.

What I have to work with is:
A pair of CHR-70s (not sure which version how would I tell?)
an 8x4 of 17mm pine plywood
A tablesaw and router, drill etc

Attached is a quick sketch of my room. Ceiling is standard height 2.5m?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I really want to start building asap.

Cheers,
James

Attachments

• my room.png
    my room.png
    19.3 KB · Views: 868
Hi guys,

I'm having trouble deciding which cabinets to build for my first project. I was thinking of the pensils but from my listening position in bed I would be looking down on them and they would be partially obscured by the end of the bed and the bedposts, would that matter? I'm also thinking about some speaker on stands that I could put right at the end of the bed or bookshelves on the bedside tables either side. Another option would be on top of the bedposts which stop 400m from the ceiling.

What I have to work with is:
A pair of CHR-70s (not sure which version how would I tell?)
an 8x4 of 17mm pine plywood
A tablesaw and router, drill etc

Attached is a quick sketch of my room. Ceiling is standard height 2.5m?

Any help will be greatly appreciated, I really want to start building asap.

Cheers,
James

milli-sized box mounted near ceiling corners, aimed at bed?
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/mMarS-1v0-map-231009.pdf

these aren't large, difficult to build, or too heavy for mounting with adjustable wall brackets - and should fit above the door on the left side (you might need to turn sideways?)

milli-sized box mounted near ceiling corners, aimed at bed?
http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/FAL/downloads/mMarS-1v0-map-231009.pdf

these aren't large, difficult to build, or too heavy for mounting with adjustable wall brackets - and should fit above the door on the left side (you might need to turn sideways?)

Thanks Chris, I never thought about wall mounted, I'll see what that looks like when I get home. Those were the cabinets I initially planned to build until I got this big sheet of wood.

Edit: What about this idea? http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...chr-70-application-thread-60.html#post2307533
Also can the pensils be pushed right against the wall or do they sound better standing out a bit?

Last edited:
Here's a quick something I knocked together using the CHR-70 and a few bits of 6" pipe.

Used as my PC speakers, I couldn't be happier :D

Thanks Dave for recommending using 6" pipe over the 4", heaps better bass.

Attachments

• CHR-70 TL.jpg
    CHR-70 TL.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 844
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.