Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Fixed this on the decoder circuit. Also added separate regs (only 7805, SPowers later).
3x DAC
2x Decoder
2x Servo

Sound is now much cleaner and powerful, better bass. Less digital.

I can also confirm that separate low noise power supply to the digital and the analogue rails of DAC, Decoder and the servo ICs can make a lot of improvements to the SQ.

I can also confirm that separate low noise power supply to the digital and the analogue rails of DAC, Decoder and the servo ICs can make a lot of improvements to the SQ.

Good to hear! I am about to power the DAC with separate power supplies – 2 toroidals, 1 powering the digital rail and the other the 2 analogue rails, all with power regulators of course.

Next up is the Decoder.

New DOS

Mundorf has recently come out with a new cap line, the EVO's. Their small size makes them ideal for use with the dos. Ray has already used them, mounting off board. This gave me the idea and inspiration for a new Dos board with the caps on board.
I changed most of the resistors to smd's, which created the board space to use the Evo's and to keep the board size about the same. I think I had to extend the board 4 or 5 mm's is all I had to add.
Also included Ray's use of an led for vref, and with his instructions of a month ago, in post, #19713 of this thread, I was able to adjust the current to what I wanted.
I just got this constructed and mounted into my 8260 yesterday. I am quite pleased with this new addition to the player.

Attachments

• DOS_EVO.jpg
    DOS_EVO.jpg
    690.6 KB · Views: 203
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Mundorf has recently come out with a new cap line, the EVO's. Their small size makes them ideal for use with the dos. Ray has already used them, mounting off board. This gave me the idea and inspiration for a new Dos board with the caps on board.
I changed most of the resistors to smd's, which created the board space to use the Evo's and to keep the board size about the same. I think I had to extend the board 4 or 5 mm's is all I had to add.
Also included Ray's use of an led for vref, and with his instructions of a month ago, in post, #19713 of this thread, I was able to adjust the current to what I wanted.
I just got this constructed and mounted into my 8260 yesterday. I am quite pleased with this new addition to the player.

Super cool work.... can you provide those boards ?

BTW, the new EVO caps are really good :)

Nice work.
BTW is it CD67 or CD63 ?

Hi Alan,

I tried that a few times, maybe you've read it here?

470pF will get you close enough. The filter gets a more smooth roll-off and you can hear the difference in the high-end. If the player is not fully tweaked and still sounds a bit harsh, it can be a good tweak to make it sound a bit more friendly. But after my player was decently tweaked, I went back to the original filter to have a bit more 'bite' and detail in the high-end. That was before the DOS entered the room. The passive filter of the DOS can also be changed to Bessel by the way.

Regards,

Ray

thx ray

Hi Alan,

470pF will get you close enough. The filter gets a more smooth roll-off and you can hear the difference in the high-end. If the player is not fully tweaked and still sounds a bit harsh, it can be a good tweak to make it sound a bit more friendly. But after my player was decently tweaked, I went back to the original filter to have a bit more 'bite' and detail in the high-end. That was before the DOS entered the room. The passive filter of the DOS can also be changed to Bessel by the way.

Regards,

Ray
Yes thats where i saw it, My players quite well tuned clocks recap no dos as yet servo psu opamps many regs so on the way.
thx ray alan;)

re 470uf

Hi Alan,

Regards,

Ray
Tried it had some caps from a german company. Bit too lack luster 470 pf a bit to much,Next may try a dos or valve output have a 6n2 output stage may have go at.
cheers guys alan:)

Last edited: