Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Some pics

Here are some pics, which may be of interest to anyone doing the typical mods.

COG ceramic 220pF caps on the servo, a similar cap added to one of the decoder's digital rails, and an overview of Steve's CD63.

It really does sound excellent now. The big cap on the +10V rail was probably the single most important mod, but it would still be missing detail, dynamics and lots of sweetness and warmth were it not for the COG ceramics, decoder regs and Black Gates.

Simon

Attachments

• COGs_servo.jpg
    COGs_servo.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 228
  • decoder.jpg
    decoder.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 217
  • overview.jpg
    overview.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 217
Everyone loves pictures, don't they?

Some more pics.

One of them shows more or less where you'll have to drill to put an oversized snap-in electrolytic at C813, another is the output area with "HA" op-amps, Black Gate caps and the obligatory bypassing of fuse resistors and HDAMs. The other pic is the decoder regulators. No need for PCBs here, just connect them straight in! Their power feeds aren't yet connected in this picture.

Attachments

• PICT2343-1024.jpg
    PICT2343-1024.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 201
  • PICT2342-1024.jpg
    PICT2342-1024.jpg
    254.3 KB · Views: 235
  • PICT2336-1024.jpg
    PICT2336-1024.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 103
Nice work there Simon! I've also got a couple of those TX's Lee's got so I'll try them in my 63!

All of my Uber regs are in my CD960! I've now got 9 or 10 LM317's in my 63. I've been on a bit of quest, trying to see what other cheap options are available. I've been researching LDO low noise regs. I've found these as a direct replacement for 7805 etc.

TS2940

They cost about 50p from RS in 20's!

I've also been looking at MIC5219. although only rated at 500mA they could be very good if used with the bypass cap for lowering noise

MIC5219

should be easy to mount the caps to the top of the chip and the chip directly to the top of the board?!?!?!?:eek:

i'd be interested in any thoughts on these "low noise" of of the box regs!

Ian

Hi Matthieu, sorry i've been illusive lately!

I do have a decoder chip that I can dig out. When I swapped mine, I found the problem was elsewhere. Check the whole signal path from the laser to the decoder using the service manual. My problem was in the HF amp area. The decoder chip will need the signal from the laser to spin the motor. Do you hear your laser focussing? Mine gave me very similar problems to you but it wasn't the decoder. I think there is a good chance that if Lee's decoder hasn't fixed the problem, mine won't either! I think you might need an oscilliscope to diagnose this problem! I think to be honest, i'd be on the look out for another player ready to start transplanting all the mods! :(:no::(

Last edited: