Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Have you added good regs to the servo yet? This improves further.

No, not yet. I'm going to stick two LM317/337 boards in there soon.
A stable servo supply must have it's impact on servo tracking.

That looks very nice Ray, relay muting too. Now for the boring bit - wiring it all up LOL

LOL, that's no muting, those are the digital input relays. Special HF types with good VSWR for the S/P-dif signal :D
Wiring is almost done, i'm waiting for some parts to arrive this week so I can finish it up.

Ray

Transformer output!

There certainly is something about that DAC simon. When I 1st went to the 63, I kept complaining about harshness/brightness. When I went to the TDA that went away immediately. I'm fairly convinced i'd got used to the type of sound that the SAA7350 produced and chosen the rest of my system based on auditions with the CD850MKII.

With enough done, the 63 does start to loose that "digitalness" and sound very good (eh Brent! lol). When's the servo clock going in Steve?! Looking at the state of tune, its got to be soonish?

I've also been playing with transformers! Got 1 std 63 and another thats std with a decoder or Clock fault (Matthieu its catching!). I was going to try a std unit with the TX output in it against my own 63 with 47920's and see what I thought. I would also like to compare std vs std with TX output vs resonable mods level. If I can get to the bottom of the fault, I will do! Should prove intersting.

Lots to consider with the TX's. I know Lee's got no filter at all and there is no apparent audiable noise but there is obviously a reason for filter in the original design and the Ray's DOS. It could be that the freq response of the TX's we are using drop off outside the audio band (thus no additional filtering is required)! Also, I'm lead to believe the freq response accross the audio band is not as flat as would be ideal (but then again they are fairly cheap audio TX's). This could be why Audiocom use their TX's after the opamp retaining the filter section. If the Audio Consulting transformers are much wider band with much more linear response, the filter section would still be required. Based on that theory, I think I'd like to hear the Audio Consulting TX's with the filter fromthe DOS? Still at £300 a pair thats lots to invest! However, if they are that good and replace DOS, SPowers, Output caps, they could be considered not a lot more expensive? All food for thought!

Some interesting thoughts Ian.

Output transformers certainly do curtail the frequency response and hence need to additional filtering.

I think Audiocom leave the op-amps in because they want to maintain a strong output into any preamp/amp it may be connected to.

I'm not sure but I think just driving the tx from the DAC might not work 100% for every system.

Simon

My newest prized possession

Got this from ebay last week, $6.47 + $7.10 shipping:santa2:.

Here's the description:
This is an assortment of NEW CD Player repair parts.
Buy one, get them all. Take what you want, pass them along.
There are 26 small baggies containing diodes, micro push switches, earplug wires and more.
Most of these things look like items that customers ordered, but never picked up. Here is a list of part numbers from the larger boxes, pictured from the left, top to bottom:
Column 1:
Red Box: RCA 240166 Cover
Lot of Baggies full of small parts (diodes, switches)
Column 2:
JVC VCU1001-051 V Resistor Ref. #L0082
Pioneer WWY1011
Pioneer VWY-097
JVC Capstan Motor YU41963
Column 3:
JVC E-X180-W
JVC VGL1199-001 LC Displ. Panel
Samsung 923460156DA
JVC SGX-P001AZ
Marantz CD-63SEU/PU ASSY
:cloud9:

The box the new marantz laser came in has an (old, yellow stained) PO label on it dated from 1997 (I think that was the date). I think the price marked was ~$95.00:D.

If anyone has use for any of the other lasers and/or parts, send me a PM.

Well let's say it: no more games on my CD-53, I've fried it!
Removed my +/-7.6V for drivers, even removed the wire to right Decoder supply, the same, no spin. And the tracks starts to look like dirt road instead of Monza!
Anwyway, I'll get the best CD43 of the world soon (CD-63 no way to match Brent's monster and about CD-53 no way for the ultra-super-regulated Ricardo's one). Changing the front PCB with IR remote will make it a sleeper =)
I think I should take extra care on factory parts removal on the CD-43, maybe cut legs of parts in order to let them fall by them self. Any advice to defeat these bended f... parts legs?
As for SMD caps from the CD-53...

Matthieu

Attachments

• DSC00159.jpg
    DSC00159.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 165