Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Given mine another tweak today. I fitted a SPower on the standard 5V rail as there are several 10K resistors that feed some voltage to the servo etc. While doing so I also lifted U133 to the CPU and fitted a 7805 there so that it was isolated from the new cleaner std 5V rail.

I can't tell any difference here at work and will need some home listening to see what's happened

Brent

Well, from an older Ian's message who may have seen futur and send some infos before I needed it!

UV101 said:
Hi, after much studying of the sm!

My error 10 was caused by a split rail in the HF amp area. I'd got half running off the main 5v reg and half running off an external reg. i guess the voltage difference was enough to upset the signal arriving at the decoder.

I trace backward. no motor spin (but focus) so I checked the driver chips. There was no status change on the motor drive. the Decoder feeds than driver chip.

I'd already changed the servo chip and the decoder chip so I know it had to be something not arriving at the decoder. I followed back to the HF area and found that I split a rail!

I replaced the resistor a fed the whole circuit from another point and voila! problem solved!

I'm not sure if any of that will help you but I hope so!

Regards

ian

I know this is not right but I did fit regs while waiting for my decoder... so driver regs, I have 7.60 and -7.50V even if resistor values where the same... strange.
And also... a HF Amp reg! I've just removed the R505 and replaced the lytic by my reg.
It sound the same as your Error 10 wich... is the same here!
But I can't see from where another 5V is taken in HF Amp, and if I understand well it may be a good idea to remove it and let R505 go back home, right Ian and guys?

The flickering light of hope is brighter...

Matthieu

edit : many fried players... means many lonely remote controls ? PM me for an offer guy ;)

Last edited:
...I fitted a SPower on the standard 5V rail...

Hi Brent,

Is there still room in that player?? :spin: :D

I tested your C2 with the servo clocked this weekend. It's clearly an improvement! (but I guess you already knew that :D)

The soundstage has more depth, cymbals are less grainy and the overall impression is that the player sounds more "in control". It's like the player has pitch control and it's playing at -2%, very relaxed. Peace and quiet has come to the music. Absolutely a recommended mod.

Hey, this is all new to me! This is my first heavily-modded CD63! I'm going to insert the regs for the +/-10V soon...

Regards,

Ray

Last edited:
I tested your C2 with the servo clocked this weekend. It's clearly an improvement! (but I guess you already knew that :D)

The soundstage has more depth, cymbals are less grainy and the overall impression is that the player sounds more "in control". It's like the player has pitch control and it's playing at -2%, very relaxed. Peace and quiet has come to the music. Absolutely a recommended mod.

Hi Ray! This party started ages ago!

Although I must admit I've yet to get a C2, it's on the wish list.

Simon

ps - anyone else think the SAA7350 is a nice-sounding DAC chip (CD42)?

Yeah, I know... I was/am busy building ezDACs and Crescendo amps :D

I didn't have a CD63, so that didn't help either. With a nice KI in the house, some more possibilities are available. It's nice to fiddle around with the players again!

I wonder how it will sound when I hook it up to my new DAC...

Ray

Attachments

• ezDAC_new.jpg
    ezDAC_new.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 187

Thats what is in my CD850MKII which i think is almost identical. I had that player from new until last year! Its very laid back compared to a 63. The only mods I had in my 850 was the Trichord 4, op amps and caps. I have to say, I prefer the CD50 (TDA1541) series of player with these minor mods. I never modded mine enough to properly compare to the 63 or the 1541.

Also, they are used before tda1547 in cd17's (well at least in 2 of the 3 models). Also before a pair on 1547's in the Teac VRDS10

Mine was very relaxed but lacked detail (albeit I didn't realise at the time!). I think you'd probably be quite impressed. I had no nice regs or caps (other than on the op amps)

Also this dac was used in the pink triangle dacapo which is (so i beleive) an awesome sounding DAC! Another thread maybe Simon!?!? ;)

I have a CD72mkII, with this chip followed by a TDA1547. I think it sounds very nice already, and it's not fully modded yet. But the sound has a kind of calmness with the right opamps behind it.

The "beast" is a rebuild of my first ezDAC, only this time with discrete regs on the supplies and relais PCB with three digital inputs. I think it's going to be the heart of my system soon :D

Ray

Hi Brent,

Is there still room in that player?? :spin: :D

Hey, this is all new to me! This is my first heavily-modded CD63! I'm going to insert the regs for the +/-10V soon...

Regards,

Ray

Hi Ray

Not much room left no LOL

The servo clocking mod is fantastic, it removes alot of problems from the 63. Have you added good regs to the servo yet? This improves further.

Brent

Last edited:
Yeah, I know... I was/am busy building ezDACs and Crescendo amps :D

I didn't have a CD63, so that didn't help either. With a nice KI in the house, some more possibilities are available. It's nice to fiddle around with the players again!

I wonder how it will sound when I hook it up to my new DAC...

Ray

That looks very nice Ray, relay muting too. Now for the boring bit - wiring it all up LOL

Brent