Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

RCruz said:

Hi Brent

I did not build the buffer pre yet. I am still using the Meridian 101 now with a metal can in the output module.
This module has a 6x gain so I am not decided what to do to replace it.
I have two buffers, a pot, a TX and two Spowers waiting for a decision. That is why I need to know about your pre.

What about the Riaa... what type is it? jfet no feedback ?

Awesome work..... you keep getting better all the time. Are you using shielded cables for the psu lines ?

Ricardo

It's a mm phono stage lee and myself are building for a new TT manufacturer entering the market this year - PROTOTYPE HERE

The stage will have a Burson discrete fet opamp, Spower regulation, ZA & various mundorf.

Lee compared our development one to his own discrete stage and until he used some Russian military spec caps it beat it iirc

p.s I have found the Burson discrete opamp to match any dos in sound quality (providing both have equal quality caps, resistors & regulation around them). They really are that good!

Brent

LOL - they are good. Simon is saving up for some in his philips 650 after testing some at my work.

The bearing is a custom jobby. Some guys in a small unit that build locomotive engines for large scale models apparently. Holding it in the hand with no oil and only the lower platter you can spin it gentley and it keeps spinning for minutes. With the plater it seems to spin forever. I have also built the psu for this deck, it's a simple ac motor drive cct.

Lee has seen the bearing also

Brent

Yeah, that bearing is a proper precision job. The TT should sound awesome, and looks awesome too.

It'll be interesting to hear it working, and to see how much you have to mod a cd63 to get close to it. My very basic TT setup sounds very good indeed, it takes a surprisingly large amount of work to make cd rival even a half-decent TT.

Cheers, Lee.

Thomo said:
Yeah, that bearing is a proper precision job. The TT should sound awesome, and looks awesome too.

It'll be interesting to hear it working, and to see how much you have to mod a cd63 to get close to it. My very basic TT setup sounds very good indeed, it takes a surprisingly large amount of work to make cd rival even a half-decent TT.

Cheers, Lee.

Indeed, but the "software's" not so easily available!!!!

It does look very nice. What the pricetag likely to be?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Brent

Can you be more specific about the AC motor psu ?

What type of AC motor ? is it a 24pole (premotec) ?

Now back to the opamps...., My initial idea (following some very experienced suggestions by contributers to this thread) was to build a buffer to replace my 101pre.

I believe this would work wonders with the CDP or the tuner, but my Riaa needs some gain, so I postponed this experiment.

After your comments on the Burson, I am wondering if it is viable to build a pre based on the discrete opamp and if it should produce similar results as a no gain jfet no feedback buffer.

PS: I agree that we need an enourmous amount of work to make a CDP sound as good as medium TT, but I also agree that vinyl is not practical, needs much care and attention to detail and only 10% of the black discs sound better than CD. But when that happens, it is Nirvana. :worship:

Ricardo

Note: Please excuse my insistent off topic but this thread magically produces briliant ideas.

recently i Change opamp to discrete opamp , upgrade the clock , RCA Jack upgrade to Switchcraft than wire with 6N Silver Wire
and the section i upgrade below

PSU Regualtor - Black Gate STD
OPAMP - Black Gate N
HDAM - Panasonic FM
Analog Output - Black Gate STD
DAC - Sanyo OS-CON

all the things above i mod the price is more than the player alone :xeye:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

L700 said:
recently i Change opamp to discrete opamp , upgrade the clock , RCA Jack upgrade to Switchcraft than wire with 6N Silver Wire
and the section i upgrade below

PSU Regualtor - Black Gate STD
OPAMP - Black Gate N
HDAM - Panasonic FM
Analog Output - Black Gate STD
DAC - Sanyo OS-CON

all the things above i mod the price is more than the player alone :xeye:
QUOTE]

Cool. Try bypassing the HDAM and tell us what you think ;)

Brent

poynton said:

You haven't, by any chance, reverse-engineered the circuit have you ????? (and if not , why?)

Andy

Hi Andy

No I have not reverse engineered it, it's a pretty sorted cct tbh.

HERE is a pic I took of the V2 opamp. The Fets are 2sk170. Its much more compact than the V1.

P.S I'm not allowed to show the V2 images on the web site until 1st March when this one is officially released lol so :shhh:

Brent