Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Marantz CD-67 type owner and Not a DYI guy

This is my first post, and it is very mission-oriented.

Who do I get to Mod my Marantz CD.67 MKII?

Phonosophe?

Audiocom International LTD?

Audio Upgrades?

Anyone else?

And why? It sounds pretty lovely right now. I use it in a bed-side system with a Maple Tree Audio Designs (MAD) Ear + Purist HD headphone amp. (I also have an Arcam CD-192T in my main system - a mixture of affordable equipment by Blue Circle, Quicksilver, Stirling Broadcast + a not-so-affordable Single Power headphone amp.)

These mods are all pretty expensive, esp the Phonosophe (www.phonosophe.de)

What will these mods do to the already-lovely sound of my 1997-era Marantz? I really don't want another Arcam. I already have one.

Why doesn't Audio Upgrades throw in an IEC connector + some decent RCA jacks? The only problems I have had with my 67 have been the solder joints to the power cord and the RCA analogue output jacks. Yes I can solder. That's it. No. I can change tubes, too. No, I can stick aluminum foil on volume pots with rubber bands and super glue to ground them to the chassis, too.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
they are all ground. But the chip has a gnd to match the digital and a ground to match the analogue rails. In most circumstances the grounds are all connected together. It is always best to keep the supply and its relevent ground equal length if possible.

So to answer you question gndA is the analogue ground where gndD would be for the digital

Hi Brent

I can not identify a gndD here....

Attachments

• alw lm317 reg.pdf
    87.2 KB · Views: 147
Re: Marantz CD-67 type owner and Not a DYI guy

Frihed89 said:

And why?

Hi Frihed89 and welcome to this thread.

You asked who should mod your 67.

If you can solder and do the mods you say then you should be able to do the mods from this forum yourself, given patience and a little more confidence in your abilities.

I felt the same as you at first, with no electronics ability and very mediocre soldering skills. I practiced and asked questions, read a lot of this thread and now have a very good quality CDP for a fraction of the cost to buy a stock machine of that quality.

There is a complete list on Ray's site along with helpful hints.

Most problems and questions have been asked already, and using the search facility at the bottom of the page can help to find most answers.

As to why, I personally have found a great improvement to the sound quality of my CD63SE.

Better resolution of detail, more realistic soundstage, more of everything, really.

At the end of the day, if you do not feel you could develop your abilities, do not wish to risk your machine, or simply do not have the time, our own Brent aka Rowemeister provides a modding service through his company, Sercal Electronics. A number of our members can recommend him and his products.

The choice is yours, but whichever you choose, I feel sure the gains in sound quality will surprise you.

Regards
Jim

RCruz said:

Hi Brent

I can not identify a gndD here....

Hi Ricardo

I remember seeing this somewhere earlier in this thread.

The ALW reg uses two grounds, one called a Kelvin ground or something similar.

I cannot remember all the details, but I think this helps the accuracy of the reg.

The two grounds of the reg are nothing to do with splitting analogue and digital grounds, which is what your original question was about, I think.

The reason for separating analogue and digital ground is so that noise generated by one circuit does not pollute the other. I think I'm right in saying the digital side generates a lot of HF noise which interferes with signal purity, and therefore sound quality.

You could try searching this thread about the ALW reg or maybe have a look at www.acoustica.org uk.

Hope some of this helps.

Regards
Jim

Frihed89 try it with a heated desoldering pump

Frihed89 try it with a heated desoldering pump, adds spice to any relationship, and is also very good for removing components from these some what sensitive old boards. Without one I'd never have dared removing opamps, but now its easy: 1,2 ,3 wiggle, 4, 5, suck.

There are still some things I'll never try like soldering directly onto DAC legs, I reckon my pump will open up the majority of mods to even my skill less paws.

jimh0612 said:

Hi Ricardo

I remember seeing this somewhere earlier in this thread.

The ALW reg uses two grounds, one called a Kelvin ground or something similar.

I cannot remember all the details, but I think this helps the accuracy of the reg.

Hi,

You are correct.

The "ground" leg of a 3-leg regulator is actually a misnomer.

It should be called the sense.

A look at a typical diagram for a regulator shows why.

The "Kelvin Ground" is the point where the regulator senses its load.

Hence the "ground" (sense) should be connected there to obtain optimum regulation.

If it is conected elsewhere it will "regulate" any voltage/current between it and the load.

In a discrete regulated power supply, the bridge and capacitor should be connected together and that point connected to the load. The output ( ground / sense ) of the regulator should also be connected directly but separately to the load to avoid sensing the charging currents.

Easy when you see a diagram, not so easy to say.

Andy

Frihed89 said:
This is my first post, and it is very mission-oriented.

Phonosophe?

Audiocom International LTD?

Audio Upgrades?

Anyone else?

And why? It sounds pretty lovely right now. I use it in a bed-side system with a Maple Tree Audio Designs (MAD) Ear + Purist HD headphone amp. (I also have an Arcam CD-192T in my main system - a mixture of affordable equipment by Blue Circle, Quicksilver, Stirling Broadcast + a not-so-affordable Single Power headphone amp.)

These mods are all pretty expensive, esp the Phonosophe (www.phonosophe.de)

What will these mods do to the already-lovely sound of my 1997-era Marantz? I really don't want another Arcam. I already have one.

Why doesn't Audio Upgrades throw in an IEC connector + some decent RCA jacks? The only problems I have had with my 67 have been the solder joints to the power cord and the RCA analogue output jacks. Yes I can solder. That's it. No. I can change tubes, too. No, I can stick aluminum foil on volume pots with rubber bands and super glue to ground them to the chassis, too.

Hi

Audio Upgrades is me ;)

The reason we do not specify iec or gold rca upgrades on the upgrade lists is because we concentrate on the parts that make the most difference to the sound. I would always spend the money on good caps before the things that look nice but don't give the same gains. Of course we can fit these items if the customer wants.
Our philisophy is to give the best upgrade path for the money, rather than just sell you a load of expensive parts and not implement them well.

Brent

Re: Re: Marantz CD-67 type owner and Not a DYI guy

jimh0612 said:

At the end of the day, if you do not feel you could develop your abilities, do not wish to risk your machine, or simply do not have the time, our own Brent aka Rowemeister provides a modding service through his company, Sercal Electronics. A number of our members can recommend him and his products.

The choice is yours, but whichever you choose, I feel sure the gains in sound quality will surprise you.

Regards
Jim

Cheers Jim ;)

Frihed89 said:

This link is down right now, can you tell use anything about their mods?

Anything and everything.

Don't worry, it will leave the Arcam for dead if modded extensively.

Why doesn't Audio Upgrades throw in an IEC connector + some decent RCA jacks?

An IEC connector is nice but quite annoying to fit, and alone doesn't provide any gain in sound quality.

Better RCA jacks may give a subtle lift to detail and reduce grain but the difference is tiny compared to using better decoupling caps, additional regulators and additional PSUs or installing a better output stage. If you pay extra you can have pretty much anything you like...

Simon

Joined 2006
Paid Member
poynton said:

Hi,

You are correct.

The "ground" leg of a 3-leg regulator is actually a misnomer.

It should be called the sense.

A look at a typical diagram for a regulator shows why.

The "Kelvin Ground" is the point where the regulator senses its load.

Hence the "ground" (sense) should be connected there to obtain optimum regulation.

If it is conected elsewhere it will "regulate" any voltage/current between it and the load.

In a discrete regulated power supply, the bridge and capacitor should be connected together and that point connected to the load. The output ( ground / sense ) of the regulator should also be connected directly but separately to the load to avoid sensing the charging currents.

Easy when you see a diagram, not so easy to say.

Hi Andy

Now I understand the concept.

I want to power the servo with two sregs .

Can I use this tech here ?

I am afraid I might cause some ground loops.

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
they are all ground. But the chip has a gnd to match the digital and a ground to match the analogue rails. In most circumstances the grounds are all connected together. It is always best to keep the supply and its relevent ground equal length if possible.

Thank you Brent

I already have a PSU layout for the two +5v sregs.

As I am using one Nuvotem 5VA with two 9v secondaries, I believe I could use the layout in attach.

Note:
Each "arrow" should have +5v regardind to GND.

Ricardo

Attachments

• +5v psu layout.jpg
    +5v psu layout.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 271
Re: Re: Marantz CD-67 type owner and Not a DYI guy

SimontY said:

This link is down right now, can you tell use anything about their mods?

Simon

I heard their entry level machine at a shop here and it sounded very very nice. The main board looked very familiar. I wrote to them about their mods, but the only information I got back was the price: something like 1300 Euros for one set of mods and 2000 Euros for another. I asked them what was entailed, but never received a reply. I do not read German.

That's about all i know.

Mac