Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:

Nenhum problema

Nenhum mesmo Brent

Now back to serious business...

I am waiting for the http://pt.rs-online.com/web/search/...=searchProducts&searchTerm=278-6908&x=35&y=16

I want to use it to power two sregs for the servo chip.

My first issue is:

One of the 317 reg gives 5.01v and the other one (built with a girator) only gives 4.95v.

Can this voltage differential become an issue inside the servo chip ?

Second case:

I want to use separate windings for digital and analog +5vpsu...
In order to avoid hum problems or noises, can you suggest what secondary wire colors for the two independent PSU ?

Regards

Ricardo

RCruz said:

Sorry

I meant: Droit dans la mouche.;)

Maybe " en plein dans le mille " or " tu as fait mouche " ;)

Anyway, my mech is no more, just usable and noisy as a woodpecker. It's the second mech in my cdp, the OEM one was changed at the shop I bought the cdp, maybe 5 years after, now this second non genuine CDM12.1 is dead, maybe 5 years also. At least I hope so and not something wrong on the PCB...
The new unit is VAM12.01, should be on the way.
If no way at all to listen to cdp while waiting for new mech I'll have a close look to save it, as it seems unable to find a home position of x axis.
Anyone with a link of how-to diy VAM12 replacement?

Matthieu

SA7001 modification

Hi Ray, and sorry for such type of contacting since I'm still a new member and cannot send you an email directly.

I read thru modification list on your site that I'm going to use for modifying my new SA7001KI and one thing is unclear to me: that mute relay. What is a purpose and where I can find schematic of it?

Many thanks in advance,

Denis

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
the small difference in voltage is not a problem at all.

The transformer has the leads labled on the side. Makes things very easy.

Hi Brent

After studying some layouts I understand that a big cap AFTER the regs improve transient response dramatically.

Now I want to supply the servo with two 317 based regs and loockind at your work, I see the sregs mounted close to the chips, without any big cap after them.

Does the proximity of the reg to the chip make a big difference ?

Can I use big caps after the regs mounted somewhere and than feed the servo with long wires ?

Regards

Ricardo

RCruz said:

Does the proximity of the reg to the chip make a big difference ?

Can I use big caps after the regs mounted somewhere and than feed the servo with long wires ?

Regards

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo. Yes, in my opinion it makes a big difference if you place the reg close to the load (chip). I once made a big board of regs and then split them up and places them right onto the board. The sound improved a lot.

Lee.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Thomo said:

Hi Ricardo. Yes, in my opinion it makes a big difference if you place the reg close to the load (chip). I once made a big board of regs and then split them up and places them right onto the board. The sound improved a lot.

Hi Lee

What is your oppinion about putting some output caps on the regs even if they are near the chips ?

Another question:
Should I use fuses in the dedicated psu I´m building for the servo ?

The CD 53 does not have fuses on the opamp +-12v side but has two on the +5v rails...

I would prefer not to use fuses as they degrade sound but I´m afraid some reason escapes me.

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
My questions are based on my experience.

Actually, I have the stock TX feeding a 340 +5v reg followed by a really big cap.

This was one of my first mods, based on a Steinmusic CDM12 that I built before.

Even now, if I remove the big cap, I loose a lot of transient attack and headroom.

With this new mod (dedicated psu and regs for the servo) I will loose the big cap effect on the servo.

Ricardo

DAC to valve output connection help

Hi All
OK then I have my Marantz CD52 Mk II SE And I have just acquired A CD 67 std model I have had the 52se from new I haven’t dun much to modes to date just removed mute transistor and damped the case so far on the 52 but I intend to do most of the upgrades on rays lists on both the players
I Am intending trying a discrete/and or Valve output stage in both players but looking though Rays Exhalent Website as a beginner I have got my self a bit confused with the CD67s SM5872BS DAC connections to output stages I now the pin numbers but not sure on the connection method for the Valve output Stage see link Post 42
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=776926#post776926
too the SM5872 Dac Right Channel pin 25 RO pin 23 RON Pin 24 AVss2 For the Ground
Left Channel pin 20 LON pin 19 AVss1 Ground pin 18 LO
OK this is where I have got confused to connect the right channel of valve output stage do I connect the input wire to pin 25 RO and ground to pin 24 AVss2 on the dac and pin 20 and 19 for left channel

I also want to do this on the Marantaz CD52 SE
DAC SAA7350 Left Channel input of valve stage to pin 38 NITL ground to pin 36 Vss AL for the ground
Right Channel pin 19 NITR pin 21 Ground
Can anyone confirm if I have this correct if not can someone post the correct pin connection order pleas
Thank
Colin

rowemeister said:
Ricardo

Yes regs close to the load (chip) are so much better. I always use a cap on the reg output too, the servo does not require a big cap. 100uf - 220uF would be fine.

You don't need fuses either. The fuses in the 63/67 are mainly for the motor drive ics.

Brent

Hi Brent

When I put Rayregs on the DAC and decoder in my 63 I replaced the fuse resistors with the regs and just used the small tant caps on the regs between output/adjust as I understood the caps on the board (CD05,06etc) were close enough for reservoirs.

Are you saying you used reservoir caps on the reg outputs as well?

I thought that some regs could suffer if caps are directly on the outputs?

Or is it that output caps are a good idea on the servos cos they don't have reservoir caps locally but the DAC, etc., are OK?

I've got some of Thomo's 470u BG's for CD05, etc and I'm now wondering if they'd be better on the designated pcb locations or on the regs (which are in the fuse resistor locations like RD01, 04 etc.)

What do you think mate?

I can vouch for your and Thomo's opinion that regs close to the chip make a BIG difference, even just the Rayregs. Wish I had the cash for your Sregs!!

Jim

My SPower regs don't suffer with larger caps (not too big though) on them so for me it's not an issue. Most regs are infact fine with small caps on the input and output and often their spec sheet will show caps from 10uF - 47uF. It's large caps that cause the regulated circuit to slug down killing the reponse time.

On the dac a decent cap helps with bass weight.

Brent