Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Also for fitting smt ics. Place them on the pads and tack it in place on two pins (opposite corners).
Then spray some flux around the pins, this will allow the solder to flow more freely and create a better solder joint.
Once it/they are fitted clean the residual flux off the pcb with alcohol.

Make sure you have a small tip (soldering iron tip lol) and not too hot 300C - 350C should be sufficient. You will need tip cleaners also.

Sounds like a lot of hassle but really it's not. More hassle when it goes wrong rushing and using the wrong tools.

Brent

adfinni said:
What did you think of the scm11s, ive heard that the mids on the older models are obviously superior, and the highs are a little recessed ?

Hi Adam,

Nothing was recessed or lacking, the sound was terrific. Detail retrieval was even better than my home system, perhaps not far off Brent's hi-fi even. My only slight criticism, which doesn't apply at the price, was that when pushed the bass seemed to take on a slightly tubby quality. I'd put this down to the extreme driver excursion required to produce moderate SPL, deep bass from a very small driver. Basically - the driver flaps around.

The speakers sounded cleaner, less distorted and almost as musical as my home system. The bass had no right to sound as deep and potent as it did!

rowemeister said:
More hassle when it goes wrong rushing and using the wrong tools.

Oh I can totally second this comment!! Time saved means time and money spent when it all goes up in magic smoke :hot:

I got myself a pack of new iron tips from Maplin yesterday so I may get doing a couple of small tweaks again, even though "Dad" told me not to... :whazzat:

It's vital to have a decent soldering iron tip, nice leaded solder, and the tip tinner / cleaner (I found some on Ebay) seems to help and smells lovely (but toxic) :dead:

Simon

rowemeister said:
Simon would you reccomend he goes for the SCM-35 with mid driver (my 40s replaced these) rather than the SCM-11.

I say go for second hand SCM-35

Brent

Nope. Knowing that Ad has a small listening space and is likely to move to London where space and money are precious I'd say the small ones would be more sensible for now. The larger ones only offer a reasonable increase in subjective quality and lower distortion, and a whole load of bass that could get in the way. If he gets a large area in a flat in which to listen he can then resell and lose nothing and move up to the bigger ones. There'll always be 2nd hand available. Money should be saved for a beefy amp. And maybe some "RM" CD63 tweaks ;)

Simon

rowemeister said:
Simon would you reccomend he goes for the SCM-35 with mid driver (my 40s replaced these) rather than the SCM-11.

I say go for second hand SCM-35

Brent

Still tempted, but as ive mentioned to simon that would be a heart over mind purchase, and i know moving them would be near impossible. But im still tempted to find some scm12's as they have the same mid driver.

SimontY said:

Nope. Knowing that Ad has a small listening space and is likely to move to London where space and money are precious I'd say the small ones would be more sensible for now. The larger ones only offer a reasonable increase in subjective quality and lower distortion, and a whole load of bass that could get in the way. If he gets a large area in a flat in which to listen he can then resell and lose nothing and move up to the bigger ones. There'll always be 2nd hand available. Money should be saved for a beefy amp. And maybe some "RM" CD63 tweaks ;)

Simon

yup simons hit the nail on the head here, but the amp im getting will easily be powerful enough for some ATCs. Then next year i can finally stop talking about more 63 mods and just get my player sent off to brent to play with :D

The amp:

http://www.lyngdorf.com/images/stories/Reviews/sdai-hifi-world.pdf

rowemeister said:

hehe was browsing those auctions last night. Ive decided to pick up x3 pairs of the 150s to use in the 7.1 home cinema as front speakers then the other 2 pairs as the rear speakers. Might get an additional one and lie it horizontally ontop of the plasma tv as a centre speaker :D

e industrial look of the 12's is really growing on me, but i know the sound will be first rate. A little expensive as i have seen a number of 2nd hand pairs going for 500.

those 7s look like great value, and would be less that half price of the scm11's even if i could pick up a ex-demo pair. Slightly better sound for double the price, hmmmmmm.

Good marketing for you, just need to get your website listed on those mod lists :)

ye ATCs seem like the dogs. Well just landed a temp job starting monday and will get 7 pounds per hour so not too bad for the time being. Well, until i get something in engineering that is.

Well the guy selling the lyngdorf amp hasn't sold it for over a month and has reduced the price a little so il have a little barter with him in the next week and try to secure it for a bargain price :D

Ahhh very very nice lists now.

Also, i see a psu section coming soon on your website. ut im thinking of trying something different with mine when i want some new psu's. Might try to fit in a petrol compressor, but i might need an external case. Well it would sound cool at least and allow you to smell petrol throughout the room all the time :D

Amp is about 550 off some forum and looks the business. But it's in silver and i want a black faceplate. Manufacturer said about 100 for a black faceplate and i need to be an audio engineer to be able to install it. lol.