Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

rowemeister said:

ooo what ATC are you after. I love mine I think they are uber

Brent

Well looking at some second hand scm-11's, but ive heard excellent things about the scm-12's, especially their 'legendary' bass driver. Probably pick up a pair for 500.

But ive found a pair of scm-35's, so similar to yours but the older version, for about 875.

Il be buying the lyngdorf sdai 2175 amp first, then taking it somewhere i can demo some ATC's :D

philpoole said:
Hi Simon,

Grados do offer bass, and lots of it (if its present in the signal) but you wouldn't hear it in a noisy environment like at the meet.
In a noisy room, the HD 600s were far more impressive.
I agree they take a lot of getting used to.

Hi Phil,

I'd give em another chance, there was indeed FAR too much background noise at the meet, which is always very hurtful to bass.

Hi Simon,

The biggest issue with grados is that they absolutely fail to block out any noise. You need to be in a quiet room to properly enjoy them.
The meet really didn't suit headphone listeners really. Never mind.
Next time, I'm sure the focus will shift from speakers and amps to overmodded CD based sources :)

Cheers,
Phil

Joined 2006
Paid Member
6h5c said:
After modding a Marantz CD63 and a CD67OSE I decided to make a list of all the various mod's I found here and elsewhere on the internet.
Hi Ray

I am following your instructions with care and after replacing the Digital Reg in my CD53, I want to replace the analog PSU regs.

I understand now that "LM317 3-terminal positive voltage
regulators 1,5A 20W" and "LM337 negative volt reg 1,5A 20W" are the best choice.

After reading about them, I found that they are not fixed voltage as the digital psu one.

Can I replace the stock 78 / 79M12 with these or must I use any other fixed voltage ones ?

Also, can you please identify the ferrites used in RD01 / 04 with a Farnell code ?

Best Regards

Ricardo

Re: Re: Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

RCruz said:
Hi Ray
I understand now that "LM317 3-terminal positive voltage
regulators 1,5A 20W" and "LM337 negative volt reg 1,5A 20W" are the best choice.
Can I replace the stock 78 / 79M12 with these or must I use any other fixed voltage ones ?

Also, can you please identify the ferrites used in RD01 / 04 with a Farnell code ?

Best Regards

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo,

The LM317/337 are variable voltage regulators, you cannot replace them directly. You can try a search in this thread on 'raygulator'. There's also a schematic and a few pictures on my website in the Marantz CD57-XXL section.

The code for the ferrite beads is 242-500.

Regards,

Ray

rowemeister said:
Here are some low res pics taken on mobile whilst Simon and I were auditioning SCM11 - the owner brough us this ATC mid (used in SCM35 and SCM40 + their professional gear) as a replacement for a customes pushed in one :xeye:

PIC 1
PIC 2
PIC 3

Brent

Christ that wouldn't look out of place under the ground by the roadside in seria leone....... ;)

What did you think of the scm11s, ive heard that the mids on the older models are obviously superior, and the highs are a little recessed ?

Il tell when i audition some.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

6h5c said:

The LM317/337 are variable voltage regulators, you cannot replace them directly. You can try a search in this thread on 'raygulator'. There's also a schematic and a few pictures on my website in the Marantz CD57-XXL section.
Hi ray

Thank you very much... Can you inform the type of resistors used ?

Can I get them in Farnell ?

Best Regards

Ricardo

adfinni said:

Christ that wouldn't look out of place under the ground by the roadside in seria leone....... ;)

What did you think of the scm11s, ive heard that the mids on the older models are obviously superior, and the highs are a little recessed ?

Il tell when i audition some.

They were superb. Sat on crappy stand running on a £12K naim system. The bass was huge for such a small speaker (11L cabinet).

Simon will tell you what it was like.

Brent

smt soldering

hi as ive come to realise my smt soldering isnt all i thought it was:bawling:
and i was just wondering if anyone offers smt soldering as a service, as my ezdac and my parts are comming, and i dont want to order them again! if anyone offers this service maybe you could e-mail me with a ballpark figure

many thanks

chris

Chris, here's a tip for improving your soldering skills. Just find some old computer motherboards or video cards, and practice running solder along the chips with the iron and using a soldering braid to remove bridges. Sometimes, these boards will even have unpopulated pads that you can solder surface mount resistors or capacitors on. This should give you a good feel for it.