Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

I have the 965 (basically the same thing)with OPA627s in it and it is sweet. Next couple of days I am losing the electrolytic output cap and installing Wima MKP10s and Obbligato Film/Oils to decide whick sounds better. Also silver wire and Eichmann RCA jacks! I am also replacing the 10K resistor next to the Cap from signal to ground with a 100K.

Then I will dabble with the JFET Cascode I built to see if Biasing to Class A is good or bad.

Whatever was done to that CDP was a shame! I hope they were fired or stopped doing Mods!

Regards//Keith

BGs are a huge improvement over what is usually there and have a lot of nice qualities and a great price. Wima MKS2s are also nice too and usually fit the small 5 mm spacing. But these three go a step further and also require creative mounting and lead extension but is worth it!

If you get a chance, try any of them! I am using 4.7uf 5%.

Regards//Keith

I will let you know in a few weeks what worked best in my situation. I have the caps burned in already with 350 hours on them with a circuit I got from Panomaniac and DaveT. Very nice for evaluating what the final result will be. You can see pictures of it on his thread.

See the thread "Tripath Input Coupling Caps" Thread by DaveT. The majority of what he is testing and reporting is for input caps but this is applicable to output caps because they do the same thing! His reference can help decide which few that you want to try in your situation/application. He is validating exactly what some of the heavy modders (Pros) are saying but with a surprise here and there!

So far, as far as value goes, you can't beat the price/performance of the Obbligato Film/Oil caps @ $6.75 US. That's like 3.38 British pounds. The Wimas are in between the Obbligatos in price and the Auricaps but the Wimas come from Germany and may be cheaper by you in the UK than here! Auricaps are made here and the dollar is half of what the pound is so there may be a good value too!

Dave (DSavitsk) has an article on a web-site that rates these caps (most of them) that is in line with DaveT's findings and others too.

Silver wire is disputed but many get nice results. If you ever get the chance, Extreme_Boky has posted some very impressive pictures of his Mods here with Silver Ribbon and he swears by it! He works on a lot of Marantz CD Players! I like the Silver wire and sometimes with no or minimal cotton insulation (back to that minimal bikini thing again being closest to nothing at all).

Regards//Keith

Hi Brent,

Hopefully you found something useful in that thread! It is a lot easier to scan than this one! Only 8 million posts here.

Dave is testing the MKP10s now. He will report back in a few days! He has already mentioned to me that they sit with the Auricaps and Obbligatos.

I am not sure what value you use for Output caps, that is more a personal call but these all have several value options!

Regards//Keith

It's funny, with the exotic caps, they can get substancially more expensive with every 1.0uf increase. Look at the Jupiter and Mundorf Silver/Oil, etc.

They also get bigger (a lot bigger). Just use the 1.0uFs only, they are cheaper AND smaller! LOL

You might check if the Wima, Auricap and Obbligatos have similar values if you want to try them!

Maybe the Blackgate ACs are meant to be used for this audio application only, the available values suggest something like this.

Regards//Keith

Today I received my 30va 2x12v tx which I'm going to use for the driver ic in my cd67. Could you shed any more light on how to do this Brent?

I also received my 120va 2x15v tx for my off-board, output stage supply, but it'll probably be a while before this gets done.

Keith, I think the Black Gate AC's are designed to be used in loudspeaker crossovers. I'm fairly sure that BG's are all designed for audio use.

Cheers,

Lee.

Hi Lee,

Yes I see that they are discussed in many threads with Crossover designs for Loudspeakers. Their values coincide with what many use for Output caps when replacing 100uF Electrolytics (especially the 6.8 and 10uF)!

Crazy stuff this electronics hobby! Thanks for the heads up!

Regards//Keith

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:
Does anybody want to buy some audiocom regs :rolleyes:

How much would they cost, Brent ?

Are these for the analog PSU ?

I want to try the (LM317 3-terminal positive voltage regulators 1,5A 20W) for +12V and (LM337 negative volt reg 1,5A 20W) for -12v but all I am finding are adjustable regulators...?! should not these devices be fixed in 12V ?

Note:
Obviously I am not as experienced as you All but I intend to get the best of this CD Player and I am a really fast learner.

Sorry for the basic questions but it would be very difficult to me otherwise.

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
RCruz said:

Thank You Guys...!!!

I got lucky this time because nothing bad happened..:eek:

So out goes the OsCon and in go the 220uF16VSILMIC from CD15/16.

I will report the "damage" because with the OsCon I got a lot more precision in the sound over all the frequencies..... and the player stopped skipping.

I lost precision and scale... The bass is not as detailed and powerfull.... I will try with 150uF 16V OsCon as soon as I get my hands on them...

Maybe the High ripple current is important in the SLED Driver...?!

Regards

Ricardo