Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: Os Con

6h5c said:

Yeah, why not, experiment all you want I would say. I don't think there will be much effect from the Vref though, but who knows...

I can't explain the skipping, as those caps should be ok over there. Maybe it's a coincidence caused by handling the transport. Try refitting the flatcables and cleaning & lubricating the metal slider-rod.
Thank You Ray

I need to understand the functions of the several IC of the CDPlayer so that I can preview the effects of the modds... ;)

Can you please explain the basic functions of (Q105) Sled + LD versus (Q106) Focus + Radial Driver ?
What does it mean "Radial Driver" ?
I believe the lens has only two movements:
- Radial (when the sled is transporting the lens from the center to the outer "dots")
- Vertical (when the lens is moving up and down searching for the best focus).

Do both IC control the Radial movement of the sled ? Or does Q105 control other movements of the sled ?:confused:

After your comment, I decided to leave VREF as is, and would like your comment on the replacement of C135 / 138 (Q105) Sled + LD with 220uF 10V OsCons.

PS. For your analisys, I am sending and update file on the CD53SE Mods. (The sound is now very detailed in all the spectrum with power and definition in the bass. The headroom improved substantially as well as the transient response... needs to be improved in the trebble because it is coarse compared with my Ariston Record Player. I believe that it needs a new clock in the servo to improve detail and speed in the trebble.... ):D

Regards

Ricardo

Attachments

• marantz cd 53 se mods rcruz.zip
    8.8 KB · Views: 93
Joined 2006
Paid Member
OsCon

Hi Ray

Just another question:

Following your pdf, i should replace R127 / 128 (Q105) Sled + LD 4,7R by 220uH/2,5R + 2 ferrites.
Unfortunately I only have 470uH/2,5R Siemens 517-070... Can I use these instead ?

What about the ferrites ? Would you please explain what they are and instruct me how to install them ?

Regards

Ricardo

Re: OsCon

RCruz said:
Thank You Ray

I need to understand the functions of the several IC of the CDPlayer so that I can preview the effects of the modds... ;)

Can you please explain the basic functions of (Q105) Sled + LD versus (Q106) Focus + Radial Driver ? What does it mean "Radial Driver" ?
Do both IC control the Radial movement of the sled ? Or does Q105 control other movements of the sled ?:confused:

After your comment, I decided to leave VREF as is, and would like your comment on the replacement of C135 / 138 (Q105) Sled + LD with 220uF 10V OsCons.

Q105 controls the laserdiode (ON/OFF) and the SLED movement. The laserlens also has a small radial movement and that is controlled by Q106, which also controls the UP/DOWN movement of the lens (FOCUS). C135/138 can be replaced by OSCONs, but you'll need at least 16V.

Following your pdf, i should replace R127 / 128 (Q105) Sled + LD 4,7R by 220uH/2,5R + 2 ferrites.
Unfortunately I only have 470uH/2,5R Siemens 517-070... Can I use these instead ?

What about the ferrites ? Would you please explain what they are and instruct me how to install them ?

Regards

Ricardo

Those 470uH will work fine, their DC resistance is also 2,5R, so that's fine. The ferrites provide extra impedance at the highest frequencies, and they should be mounted on the axial inductors, see picture.

Regards,

Ray

Attachments

• inductor_beads.jpg
    inductor_beads.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 257
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Re: OsCon

6h5c said:

Q105 controls the laserdiode (ON/OFF) and the SLED movement. The laserlens also has a small radial movement and that is controlled by Q106, which also controls the UP/DOWN movement of the lens (FOCUS). C135/138 can be replaced by OSCONs, but you'll need at least 16V.

Those 470uH will work fine, their DC resistance is also 2,5R, so that's fine. The ferrites provide extra impedance at the highest frequencies, and they should be mounted on the axial inductors, see picture.

Thank You Ray

I am using two 220uF10V OsCon on the C135/138 (+-10V) and the skipping sopped. (I hope it is not dangerous :hot: :hot: )

I also replaced some R by uH as per your instructions and the sound has much more dynamics.

Thank you againf for the great help.

Ricardo

Don't Os-con's have a failure mode of short-circuit like tantalums too? (unlike aluminium electrolytics)

I think I read that somewhere...

It would probably just result in blown fuses but worth bearing in mind... (a short after a reg often just shuts the reg down, but on unregulated side worse may happen.)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Glenn2 said:
Don't Os-con's have a failure mode of short-circuit like tantalums too? (unlike aluminium electrolytics)

It would probably just result in blown fuses but worth bearing in mind... (a short after a reg often just shuts the reg down, but on unregulated side worse may happen.)
These lines provide +-10V to the driver..... The OsCon I am using are rated at 10V..... is dis dangerous ?

Ricardo

RCruz said:
These lines provide +-10V to the driver..... The OsCon I am using are rated at 10V..... is dis dangerous ?

Ricardo

The key point is that the rails are unregulated. (Only nominally 10V.)
If you measure them with the machine not playing you will probably find they are 11V-12V. It tells you in the service manual.
They will probably sag a bit when you press play.

They will also vary as your mains supply varies.

You may be lucky but you are running them beyond their specified limits. I certainly wouldn't do it.

Hope this helps...

Glenn

EDIT: I just noticed I picked the wrong driver to show, but it's the same for all three.

Attachments

• driver.jpg
    driver.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 234
RCruz said:

Ricardo

Yes these voltage rails are +/- 12V. Only the + volt sags a little bit. More so on a 53 63. The SE and KI only sag a little bit due to the larger VA tx.

I would defo put a 16V minimum rated cap on those rails.

Brent

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Glenn2 said:

Thank You Guys...!!!

I got lucky this time because nothing bad happened..:eek:

The first time was when I put almost 1 Farad after the +5V Reg... "Quel frisson" But in the end everything was allright and it gave me transient response.

So out goes the OsCon and in go the 220uF16VSILMIC from CD15/16.

I will report the "damage" because with the OsCon I got a lot more precision in the sound over all the frequencies..... and the player stopped skipping.

Thank you again for your help, your work is invaluable to me.

Regards

Ricardo