Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

rowemeister said:

You will get an almost instant improvement with the BG on the opamps. Yes they do get better over time (but so did the pana fc in yours). BG take longer to run in when used for signal applications. For the op amp the four you change are on the 12V rails. Saying all BG take ages to run in is wrong, there are about 8 different types of BG and it also depends on your application. It's like saying all Panasonic caps take ages to run in, some may some may not.

If you have to bang your player to get it to read its the connectors.

Before you swap the laser I would hard wire between pcbs.

Brent

Hi guys,
I just finished to fit 4 BG (470uF/35V) in the op amp,....yes !! I got instant improvement in the all area, more weight,more warm and more detail.
On hand, I have 1 pr 11 R Allan Bradley and 1 pr 4R7 Tantalum, I will try to replace cheap metal film in the output, what the best?

Regards
aquar

"SINCE I;'M STOOPID AND LAZY..

Does ANYBODY have a cool mod list that starts at
#1 TO THE LAST INFINTESIMAL MOD..

Like when I crack open the case..

What is the 1st thing to do to improve sound..
and the last tweak??

besides cover everything in lead??'

Get a dog and take long walks. OR get a printer, a lot of black ink cartridges and print out 600 pages. When you've finished reading them, call the dog and take a really long walk.:angel:

Re: LAZY

IMSTOOPID said:
SINCE I;'M STOOPID AND LAZY..

Does ANYBODY have a cool mod list that starts at
#1 TO THE LAST INFINTESIMAL MOD..

Like when I crack open the case..

What is the 1st thing to do to improve sound..
and the last tweak??

besides cover everything in lead??

Firstly look at the output section and its power supply.

Change C801 C802 for a larger value cap (Pana FC 25V 4700uF is not bad). Then change the 4 caps between the op amps (Black Gate is best here). Listen for a week.....

The you can change opamps to something better + bypass dc blocking caps and HDAM.

Brent

Hi Brent! The new laser (thanks a lot) seems to have solved the problem. That's a relief! I just love the 4562's. What a change! In spite of your reassurance, I MUST have compromised the 627's by running them backwards (silly blighter) because there's no other explanation for the difference I'm hearing. In my machine the 627's just don't work. But the 4562's bring the music back, the Marantz comes totally alive. It's suddenly a new machine, more like a musical instrument. Maybe what people here have said, that
the best op amp is no op amp, is true but until I have heard a better one, these are top-of-the-crop. I have them only running for 12 hours so I expect further changes. They have an astonishing level of texture. Honestly I can hear no down-side (nor do I want to!) In your opinion could a new laser have any affect on the sound quality? I can imagine that the amount of mistracking I was getting meant that the error correction was working too hard, but this is maybe totally unfounded.
Great service from that uk laser shop:)

SimontY said:
With my almost complete lack of techincal knowledge on the subject I would say that a new laser may improve the sound over an old one (and all that "old" implies). Ray heard a difference when he swapped his too. ;)

Probably the improvement is due to better tracking - less 'stickyness' in the mechanism due to old grease, wear in the sliders, gear train backlash etc as well as better output from the laser itself(better RF signal). This will ease the strain on the servo system so less induced noise on the PSUs.

Remember, a cd-player is not digital ! The front end and audio stages are ANALOG !

Andy

shepperd said:
Hi Brent! The new laser (thanks a lot) seems to have solved the problem. That's a relief! I just love the 4562's. What a change! In spite of your reassurance, I MUST have compromised the 627's by running them backwards (silly blighter) because there's no other explanation for the difference I'm hearing. In my machine the 627's just don't work. But the 4562's bring the music back, the Marantz comes totally alive. It's suddenly a new machine, more like a musical instrument. Maybe what people here have said, that
the best op amp is no op amp, is true but until I have heard a better one, these are top-of-the-crop. I have them only running for 12 hours so I expect further changes. They have an astonishing level of texture. Honestly I can hear no down-side (nor do I want to!) In your opinion could a new laser have any affect on the sound quality? I can imagine that the amount of mistracking I was getting meant that the error correction was working too hard, but this is maybe totally unfounded.
Great service from that uk laser shop:)

If the laser was really bad then maybe it could affect the overall sound. But I doubt all that difference has come from the laser. I would say the 627 were knackered and the LM4562 have brought it back.

Brent

YoungSC said:
I just tried to hook up my separate power supply which made the thing go wrong last time. And I've broken it again :bawling:

I'm getting a focus error this time instead of a radial error.

The separate power supply was putting out 5V, so I don't understand it. I only hooked it up to the DAC digital and analogue and removed U200.

In diagnostic mode,
P01 does nothing so the laser does not move up and down as if to focus.
P02 starts to spin clockwise then spins rapidly anti-clockwise.
P03 the laser moves backwards and forwards OK and the disc spins backwards then forwards oscillating every second or so.

I have tried two transports, so the error resides on the main PCB. My guess is the section that controls the transport.

Please, does anyone have any suggestions. If I get it working, I promise I won't try and hook up the separate power supply again.

Thanks,

Simon (Oz)

whimper............help

YoungSC said:
The separate power supply was putting out 5V, so I don't understand it. I only hooked it up to the DAC digital and analogue and removed U200.

I'm a bit confused by what you've written.

U164 takes the 5V from the 7805 to the DAC analogue and digital.
U200 takes the 5V to the DAC analogue after this point.

If you are using one new supply you need to remove U164 and put back U200. Feed the new supply in at the DAC side of U164.

If you are adding two new supplies, remove both U164 and U200. Insert digital feed at DAC side of U164 and analogue feed at the DAC side of U200.

Ensure U261 and U192 are intact as these feed the digital 5V to the pull-up resistors RD15 and RD16 and also the clock inverter via RD01.

Where have you connected your ground? U203?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
I'm considering the installation of DIY Paradise's Monica2 1545 Dac Kit into my CD67SE. The only technical issue I have left unanswered is where to take to SPDIF input from. Can I tap into C514/R514 at the output of the SAA7345GP Decoder?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Or

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Do I need to go further downstream to the true digital output?

Regards,
Dan