Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Separate TX questions

Hi there!
Is there any benefit if I use one of these (wich I've got):
A toroidal 2X(15V 0.5A),
A std 2x15V 3.2VA
A std 2X9V 3.2VA
(my 2X9V 2.5VA is used as my Flea's PSU).

Do you think they are a good idea to use somewhere, I mean get a real benefit of it and maybe unload the main TX and improve its behavior?
Maybe toroidal for opamps and regs close to the opamps?
Any use of others?

Thanks all!

AD8599 first impression

The initial feeling based on max 2 hours of "running them in" time is very different from the one the LM4562 gave.

This is a very "fast forward" chip. Right in you face. Martin, you'll like it !

It plays the bass hard, opposite the LM4562.

It's involving. It's dynamic. Dianne Reeves really do sings loud.

Whether it's neutral hey I don't mind. As long as I'm not bored and my foot is tapping, I'm listing.

More to come later.

Well gents,

I had a good look at the broken CD53 I bought off EBay, and found that the 5V reg was broken. Music is emanating from the player as I type.

Now comes the arduous task of transferring all the goodies from the other PCB (CD63KI) to the new one. In addition, I was going to look through the service manual and where it defines a difference between 53 and 63KI parts, to replace those as well.

Also, for the transformer CD63KI 240V replacing CD53 120V, I was going to wire it to the new PCB identically to the way it is now. Will I blow something up using this method? Are all the circuits identical?

I was hoping for these and any other comments to warn me of any pitfalls that will cause me to go without good music for a longer period of time.

Thanks,

Simon (Oz)

P.S. Since killing my old PCB (or at least beyond repair for my meagre skills), I plugged my Pioneer 626 DVD player into the audio system to play music and listened to it ONCE!! I could not handle the lack of space and the sterile sound compared to my modded 63KI.

For those new AD, beside de "behavior", the background noise (silence) and detail level is the same?

And about my Toroidal TX 2x 15V, any good use of it?
Does it makes sense to wire it instead of the OEM 12V supply (I mean instead of the OEM TX pins), put a 7815/7915 instead of the 7x12; and then put Raygulator or other super regs just at opamps?
Without split 5v rails, without 5V super regs, without BG at opamps, does it make sense?

WHY MOD

ok..MY CD63SE IS STILL SITTING ON THE SHELF..

I was never impressed with it at all.( i like vinyl)
I hooke dup a Cheesy Cheesy AA DDE V1.1

BLEW THE 63SE AWAY!!!

My phillips dvd 763 SACD sound about the equal to the AA unit.

so would I be better of MODDING..COST??$200..

of just buy a good cheap dac??
For $200..

I do have a good 75 ohm impendence matched Apature digital cable.

I guess at my age I barely have time to listen, much less tweak..

And I will tweak anything from lawnmowers to drills to amps..

I was just wonderign how good a modded 63 sounded compared to a good outboard dac.. someday I'll get around to doing my own..
once I build my premap and crossover.

Now I'm timed limited to just modding stuff and learning..and listening!!

Oh yea and that air bearing tone arm still sitting on my bench..

IMSTOOPID said:
I was just wonderign how good a modded 63 sounded compared to a good outboard dac..

The simple answer is "the sky's the limit" if you're prepared to spend money and time on it.

To contrast with your comparison between CD63 and a cheap SACD player, I will tell of my experience here.

I listened to Dark Side of the Moon (dual layer) SACD on a cheap Pioneer universal player. The sound was relaxed and spacious, detail was reasonable, vocals were pleasant. This was the SACD layer.

Then I played it (CD layer) on my very modded CD63. Immediately obvious was the sheer impact and dynamics available: gobsmacking after the now lacklustre SACD player sound. Instruments are tangible and potent, with glorious texture and real body. Interestingly, even with all these mods, the sound was not as relaxed as the SACD layer on the cheap player. But the gutsy, dynamic and richly detailed sound is nothing at all like what the DVD player could manage, even playing the "super" format.

The slight lack of absolute refinement appears to be fixable, as I have heard the most highly modded CD63 round here and with that one you've comparing it to real life, not other CD players. You'd be laughing if you had an outboard DAC like that (maybe they exist, I don't know!).

Simon

IMSTOOPID said:

I was just wonderign how good a modded 63 sounded compared to a good outboard dac..

Hi. I suppose it depends on the dac.

I have a mate who owns tons of hi-fi. He let me take my modded 63ki round and play through his lovely old meridian monoblocks and 15" tannoy monitor golds. We swapped out a Kenwood transport and about a grands worth of Meridian dac. My 63 came out well on top. Better detail, bass and everything. Less "digital". My mate agreed with me.

I was very happy to say the least. He now wants me to mod one for him!

Lee.