Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

SimontY said:
What mods does yours currently have Lee?

I have black-gates around opamps & dac & decoder, AD827's, 0.1% resistors and 1% polystyrene caps. Monster 6800uF low esr smoothing caps, extra toroid 2x9v for Invisus +5v analog & 4x lm317 digital 5v regs. Lm317 +12v, -12v for opamps. Superclock II. Silmics and Nichicon PL in various other positions. HDAM bypass etc, etc.

As I posted previously I tried the coax mod but that broke it.....

....it remains broken.

When it worked it sounded very, very nice. Fantastic texture to instruments. Detailed and smooth and warm. I also compared it with a current ~£900 quad cd player and wiped the floor with that also :D

Lee.

Take it for granted then, that it will beat most if not all players around the £1000 mark. That quad I compared is one of the current favourites in the hi-fi press (whatever that means).

One really big thing I enjoy about modding, is the way you can tailor the sound to suite personal preference through the use of different components.

I am wondering if it's possible to tailor Brent's discrete output stage to give a "warmer" sound, as he says it's similar to lm4562, which may be a little too analytical for me.

Lee.

Thomo said:
I am wondering if it's possible to tailor Brent's discrete output stage to give a "warmer" sound, as he says it's similar to lm4562, which may be a little too analytical for me.

Hmm, it's warm enough I reckon, very neutral sounding. Perhaps fewer Black Gates and more Elna Cerafines, as well as using a coloured sounding cap in the DC blocking part of the discrete stage, would make a warmer-sounding version. Also he could use copper instead of silver wire. But really it's good as it is, believe me!

Speaking of output stages, has anyone tried transformers (in this or any player)?

Lundahl for example?

What are the pros and cons?

Also, these Zapfilters. A 2nd-order filter with a cutoff at 100kHz?
It's not going to do much filtering is it.
Presumably one can front with some additional RC or LC with little penalty.

awpagan said:
You think your different..........
I hear,,,,,, Ray likes Valves:clown: :clown: :clown:

allan

Don't tempt me... :D

IMSTOOPID said:
I was just wonderign how good a modded 63 sounded compared to a good outboard dac.. someday I'll get around to doing my own..
once I build my premap and crossover.

I can add a little info to this. My modded CD67 (and it is not as heavily modded as some other peoples players here) outperforms a Marantz SA8400, in standard original state that is, at CD playback. I also listened to a Van Medevoort DA333 DAC recently, with my CD67 used as a transport. This nice DAC (retail price around 1200 euros I think) was not able to deliver the music like the CD67 did on its own! Lucky for the owner he bought it for 400 euros...but still, he was a bit disappointed with it. So that tells you something about the level that can be reached with these players.

Regards,

Ray

I just tried to hook up my separate power supply which made the thing go wrong last time. And I've broken it again :bawling:

I'm getting a focus error this time instead of a radial error.

The separate power supply was putting out 5V, so I don't understand it. I only hooked it up to the DAC digital and analogue and removed U200.

In diagnostic mode,
P01 does nothing so the laser does not move up and down as if to focus.
P02 starts to spin clockwise then spins rapidly anti-clockwise.
P03 the laser moves backwards and forwards OK and the disc spins backwards then forwards oscillating every second or so.

I have tried two transports, so the error resides on the main PCB. My guess is the section that controls the transport.

Please, does anyone have any suggestions. If I get it working, I promise I won't try and hook up the separate power supply again.

Thanks,

Simon (Oz)

:bawling: :bawling: This forum is only for the brave and foolhardy!
I should have known...the laser IS the right one. BUT there are all those tiny wires that have to be soldered and re-soldered. And the rubber suspension thing'ys, and getting it all back together again!!! There's a trick, I know there is but I don't dare take any more bits out or I will never get them back in the right order.
Gag sob howl...this better be the fix...I feel like driving the car slowly over a Marantz 67, several times. Nobody talks about the horriblle stuff, only the glowing results :mad: :mad:

Thomo said:

That's a very good guide!

It's not difficult - I've done it on two 63s and a 67SE without incident.

The only thing I will say about this guide is please ignore the bit about greasing up the cogs. That's asking for trouble.

Take a few pictures along the way with a digital camera. Then you can remind yourself what it looked like when you're rebuilding it.

Finally, the last one I did required a LOT of force the get the flat cable connector into the RF PCB, but I got it in eventually.

Good luck.

Just in case you forget where the wires go.
(This is after not before - i.e., the new mech.)

Attachments

• vam1202.jpg
    vam1202.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 699
Thank you guys! that was a good guide. I'm getting some help to do the soldering. The rest should be ok. It can be rather daunting and taking pics was an excellent idea (too late!) Having inadvertently lost my way, torn a wire, burned a componant, forgotten how to put something back together (this happened and I had to junk the cdp in shame), I really didn't want to end up with my 67 in the garbage this time. For some of you this is kids stuff, for others it's like having to fly a plane without pilot, who's just had a stroke...

Re: AD8599, third and last impression

avr300 said:
Hey boys..

This one is a keeper. It does exactly what LM4562 didn't - keeps me listening.

It articulates the music in a way that I'm pretty close to mount the six screws in the lid. :bigeyes: (...easy now...!)

If I ask you to compare to AD8620? I remember voices improved a lot with LM4562, are they still with AD8599? (I mean better than the AD8620). I also want music you know... ;) And my speakers and near to come integrated amp are very smooth and deserve a punchy & dynamic source.

Re: Re: AD8599, third and last impression

Malefoda said:

If I ask you to compare to AD8620? I remember voices improved a lot with LM4562, are they still with AD8599? (I mean better than the AD8620). I also want music you know... ;) And my speakers and near to come integrated amp are very smooth and deserve a punchy & dynamic source.

Vocal sound good with AD8065....:devilr:
Better than AD8610.
AD8066 is dual version.
It's not what I'm using though.

A couple of harrowing hours of very fiddly work and I got the new laser assembly mounted and to my astonishment it not only works
but the mistracking problem seems solved. The LM4562's are in place too. Now to let everything run in (it seems just like I put a new cartridge on a tone arm!) Thanks to Brent for the address. I never would have found the laser otherwise. Special thanks to malefoda for the opamps and the pics (je suis fier de moi, carrement!) In my next life I think I will take up fish instead, less stressfull:xeye: