Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Matching the CD63KI to a valve amp?

awpagan said:
Undecided about super-duper power supply cables.
It has to deliver 240volt 10-15amp at 50Hz, standard power here.
Which would be more than adaquate for a cd player.

Interferance, noise, spikes etc would have more of an effect.
So just a decent power conditioner could be an idea but even then
the earth in the building could have more of an influence.

allan

ps this may upset some viewers:D

Hmmm, thinking of a dedicated generator in the garden :D
Makes the 200kg filter superfluous.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Matching the CD63KI to a valve amp?

disco said:

Hmmm, thinking of a dedicated generator in the garden :D
Makes the 200kg filter superfluous.

Ahh that reminds me of something I read in a hi-fi mag... Some guy had a boat with an active ATC speaker system on it. The power was of course coming from a large generator and huge battery pack. Needless to say he claimed the sound was superb! :D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Matching the CD63KI to a valve amp?

awpagan said:

Jaap
I like the idea of the connectors with a simple contact point.
but why did they only do it for the earth connector.

With their discriptions of why the earth contact area can have problems.
the same goes for the centre pin(+).

From what I have read in hifi mags and on forums the center pin of an RCA does not suffer from the problems like the ground does. It apparently makes much better contact compared to the gnd.

Probably why Marantz only used RCA connectors with gold gnd and standard centers. Yes changing these does help I know!!!

Brent

SimontY said:

Yes, that's the one. And it looks impressive. Kimber/Russ Andrews like Nickel for their phonos.

If someone said I didn't have to pay I'd have solid silver plugs and solid core silver wires I think. They'd be ohno-continuous-cast (not drawn) and high purity of course. And they'd be insulated with something non-plastic, or maybe foamed PE, that seems like a good idea.

But come on, these are wires, let's not get carried away (I know, I'm guilty). Until we've all got power as clean as Brent has in the player we can't justify spending big money on wiring, in my opinion.

It depends on the weakest link in the audio system being,-
cdplayer, preamp, amp or speakers.

Interconnects speaker cables power lines etc are so far down the list.

allan

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Matching the CD63KI to a valve amp?

SimontY said:

Ahh that reminds me of something I read in a hi-fi mag... Some guy had a boat with an active ATC speaker system on it. The power was of course coming from a large generator and huge battery pack. Needless to say he claimed the sound was superb! :D

Well he would wouldn't he LOL

SPAM

Brent

awpagan said:

allan

Yes and no, I believe the interconnect is part of the link.
I have found interconnect change the sound so much from cable to cable. The dearer I go with interconnects the more open and more natural the audio becomes.

You really dont want a crappy standard lead between even a bog standard 63 and equivalent amp, you are veiling the sound so much

Speaker cable also changes the sound but not to the degree interconnects do.

:soapbox: LOL

Brent

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Matching the CD63KI to a valve amp?

rowemeister said:
Probably why Marantz only used RCA connectors with gold gnd and standard centers. Yes changing these does help I know!!!

Ahh! Extra detail and lower distortion with these changed, worthwhile.

awpagan said:

Agreed! But something really crappy or inapropriate will muck up the sound to some degree. (like DNM Reson speaker cable did to mine)

Originally posted by rowemeister

Well he would wouldn't he LOL

Yes, he would say it was good ;)

Enough off-topic malarky for me now. :apathic:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Matching the CD63KI to a valve amp?

awpagan said:
Jaap
I like the idea of the connectors with a simple contact point.
but why did they only do it for the earth connector.

With their discriptions of why the earth contact area can have problems.
the same goes for the centre pin(+).

allan
Theoretically I'm with you. Probably they have tested the results in practice as implementing two pins won't be problematic.
Shall I ask? Asked Philips the other day how long digital info will hold on a Compact Disc. Got a polite answer :)Pinoc: they had not experienced digital information was lost after 30 years...).

awpagan said:
silver gold or copper

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/silveraudiocables.php

silver might be the best for conductivity but buy how much?

copper doesn't look too bad

maybe it's the oxidation that makes high end use gold rca's

allan

I use Cardas silver, shines too :)
Jaap

disco said:

Good job Dave. Will you build on the CDP board or are making my PCB?
Jaap

Thanks Jaap
I am looking building PCB's a friend of mine works for a company that designs their own equipment. I spoke to him about maybe getting him to do some boards made if there are other inserted in PCB's. I can see how many I can get and how much they will cost. I will be giving him your lay out tomorrow then he is going to check into for me.

Regards'

Dave

Gooch said:
Thanks Jaap
I am looking building PCB's a friend of mine works for a company that designs their own equipment. I spoke to him about maybe getting him to do some boards made if there are other inserted in PCB's. I can see how many I can get and how much they will cost. I will be giving him your lay out tomorrow then he is going to check into for me.

Regards'

Dave

The reason I asked is because there are two flaws in it. At first all FETs need to be rotated (180 degrees in the vertical plane) with respect to the layout I published. Second, if absolute phase is to be obtained the LO and LON wires coming from the DAC need to be exchanged (same for RO and RON).
Jaap

Brent
the rca problem was contact area and multiple contact points, centre pin has a better contact.
but still as multiple contacts.

cables are relavent to price.
decent quality cables(ofc) and connectors are standard upgrades.
Manufactured specialty cable costing more than a decent cdprayer is someting else.

Jaap
Shall I ask? Asked the other day Philips how long digital info will hold on a Compact Disc. Got a polite answer (they had not experienced digital information was lost after 30 years...).

I remember cd being new relaesed new.
statement then was, "they are indestructable"
the hifi "experts" said "better than Pink Triangle turntables"

well then, we have to believe them don't we:D

allan

ps
listen to what your own ears can hear,
everyone's hearing training in sound is different.
unless price is no importance, then buy the best of everthing, every 6 months as to what the experts(mags) say:cool:

disco said:

The reason I asked is because there are two flaws in it. At first all FETs need to be rotated (180 degrees in the vertical plane) with respect to the layout I published. Second, if absolute phase is to be obtained the LO and LON wires coming from the DAC need to be exchanged (same for RO and RON).
Jaap

So just swap LO and LON and the same for RO and RON
Do you have the original file that you used for the lay out that you could e-mail me?

Regards,

Dave

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Matching the CD63KI to a valve amp?

disco said:

Theoretically I'm with you. Probably they have tested the results in practice as implementing two pins won't be problematic.
Shall I ask? Asked Philips the other day how long digital info will hold on a Compact Disc. Got a polite answer :)Pinoc: they had not experienced digital information was lost after 30 years...).

I use Cardas silver, shines too :)
Jaap

Jaap
ask philips "how long is a piece of string"
should give them something to think about
If they are experts:D

allan

awpagan said:

Jaap
Shall I ask? Asked the other day Philips how long digital info will hold on a Compact Disc. Got a polite answer (they had not experienced digital information was lost after 30 years...).

I remember cd being new relaesed new.
statement then was, "they are indestructable"
the hifi "experts" said "better than Pink Triangle turntables"

well then, we have to believe them don't we:D

allan

The very first cds were very hard to scratch indeed but has production increased and the music industry became greedier they started to produce cheap cds. So now we are left with discs that scratch if you look at them funny.

Also the old philips cd players with the large cast swinging arm lasers would play through most scratches where as we know modern lasers (well ever since sony brought out the KSS-150 KSS-210 lasers) will skip easily.

Brent

rowemeister said:
The very first cds were very hard to scratch indeed but has production increased and the music industry became greedier they started to produce cheap cds. So now we are left with discs that scratch if you look at them funny.

Also the old philips cd players with the large cast swinging arm lasers would play through most scratches where as we know modern lasers (well ever since sony brought out the KSS-150 KSS-210 lasers) will skip easily.

Brent

Agreed, discs scratch when handled without great care. But how about loosing the pits in the dye layer?