Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Re: Re: KI 63 with KI 66 (and chums)

6h5c said:

But the first thing is to get your '63 playing again. So a replacement of the laser-transport seems a good idea to me :D. That is likely to be the culprit. The original CDM12.1 doesn't have a very long lifespan. It is now replaced by the VAM1202 unit.

After that, we can take you by the hand and lead you into modding-wonderland :clown:.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for your response. Most helpful :D
Having had a look at the VAM1202 on the web I see that there may be another variant thehttp://www.daisy-laser.com/products/CD/mechanisms/VAM1250/vam1250.htm . It describes the http://www.daisy-laser.com/products/CD/mechanisms/VAM1202/vam1202.htm as a low cost CD mechanism and the VAM1250 as a "Professional Audio CD Mechanism". Any thoughts? I know frm reading this thread that there is nothing "low cost" about the kit and results you folks are getting. Wonder if the VAM1250 will slot into the KI63?
You're right, in terms of getting through this thread to get all the details and pictures along the way is difficult. About page 97 i started to get info overload and acronym fatigue. No matter I will persist. I would need to find a way to download the whole thread and review offline.

He he, got Kens old copper coated 63 out of the box. Forgot what the remote looked like. Little does it know!

Cheers,

Justin

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What will it match ?

avr300 said:
I'll think they're up to the job. All the FC are bypassed with WIMA film at the bottom.

I would like to put in matched caps for the filter (the AD8620 stays! ;) ). I do have a bunch of cheramics, so many that I can match the 100p, 120p and 1000p filter caps around the opamps - just wonder how they sounds?

Nah, I wouldn't bother with ceramics if I were you, they are the worst choice for audio. They have all sorts of nasty side effects (like piezo-properties). Go for polypropylene (MKP), polyphenylene sulphide (PPS), polystyrene (Styroflex) or silver-mica. Here's a post with a PDF that shows the differences between some commonly used caps.

Ray.

Re: Re: Re: KI 63 with KI 66 (and chums)

JustIN8 said:
Hi Ray,

Thanks for your response. Most helpful :D
Having had a look at the VAM1202 on the web I see that there may be another variant thehttp://www.daisy-laser.com/products/CD/mechanisms/VAM1250/vam1250.htm . It describes the http://www.daisy-laser.com/products/CD/mechanisms/VAM1202/vam1202.htm as a low cost CD mechanism and the VAM1250 as a "Professional Audio CD Mechanism". Any thoughts? I know frm reading this thread that there is nothing "low cost" about the kit and results you folks are getting. Wonder if the VAM1250 will slot into the KI63?

Cheers,

Justin

You're welcome Justin! I don't know the VAM1250 mechanism, it looks like it's part of the VAL1250 loader that is often used in DVD players. I don't know if it is compatible with the VAM1202, anyone else? Brent maybe?
Would make a nice replacement :yes:

Ray.

mickie said:
Hi again,
after having pumped up my cd67 with Black Gates, i'd like to do a "minor" upgrade regarding voltage regulators; now here's the beginner-question: which types are directly interchangeable? I want to install some LT Reagulators if possible. What do you recommend?

Yours,
mickie

Hi mickie,

Why don't you start with something like this? It's easy to build, low-cost and gives good results, better than most of the common three-pin fixed regulators. On the following pages you'll find more pics and a schematic.

If you want directly interchangable types, you could try LM2940/2990. LT1086 is nice, but it doesn't have a negative counterpart.

Ray.

CD63KI CDM Replacement

Thanks Ray,

I will give the local Philips distributors a call and see if their techies have some insight into the compatibility of the VAM1250.

I see that throughout this thread a lot is mentioned about insulation of the chassis in terms of vibration etc. I am assuming that the sound/vibration from the speakers is the primary incentive for this tweek. If one were using headphones would it really still be necessary to mount the source on wooden (OAK) feet etc?

The other question I have is about the use of CAT5 cabling or CAT6 for that matter. I come from a IT background and it would probably be at the bottom of my list of mods. I dont think the quality of the cable is so good a quality (OFC etc) and if anything the only upside is resistance to interference. In that case I would rather get some good cable and twist it manually.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers

Justin

Hi Justin,

The damping of the chassis is also done to get rid of the mechanical noises the transport generates itself, and vibrations from outside. Those are not just speaker vibrations, so I think damping the player is useful, even if you listen through headphones. Special attention is needed to the player, because the headphone section is something that "we" have always taken out.

The CAT5/CAT6 cable can be very successfully used to make good speaker cables. A friend of mine did it and it sounds very good. So if you have a few lengths left, you may give it a try. Be sure to get some without PVC as insulation. See TNT-Audio for some nice projects.

Regards,

Ray.

Re: Re: Re: Re: KI 63 with KI 66 (and chums)

6h5c said:

You're welcome Justin! I don't know the VAM1250 mechanism, it looks like it's part of the VAL1250 loader that is often used in DVD players. I don't know if it is compatible with the VAM1202, anyone else? Brent maybe?
Would make a nice replacement :yes:

Ray.

Well looking at this I would say NO.

The laser its self may well work but the spindle motor is a much better quality one and I do believe the control for this maybe beyond the capabilities of the 63/67. Never mind the ribbon cable from it.

Brent

Attachments

• vam1250a02x500.jpg
    vam1250a02x500.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 375
Re vibration dampening and speaker cables.

6h5c said:
Hi Justin,

The damping of the chassis is also done to get rid of the mechanical noises the transport generates itself, and vibrations from outside. Those are not just speaker vibrations, so I think damping the player is useful, even if you listen through headphones. Special attention is needed to the player, because the headphone section is something that "we" have always taken out.

The CAT5/CAT6 cable can be very successfully used to make good speaker cables. A friend of mine did it and it sounds very good. So if you have a few lengths left, you may give it a try. Be sure to get some without PVC as insulation. See TNT-Audio for some nice projects.

Regards,

Ray.

Hi Ray,

Thanks for that explanation. I will do all the vibration dampening when I fit the new CDM. (should find out more about that today).
As for the cabling, well I am much the wiser now having read through the TNT pages that you directed me to. :bigeyes: Looks like the mains power cable and other dedicated speaker cables would be fun to build. :)

One challenge I have found is the availability of good components like the Black Gates and Brown Dogs etc in South Africa. Even Elna caps are not that common here. I'll be doing some more fishing around locally before doing the mail order thing.

Many thanks

Cheers

Justin

Matching the CD63KI to a valve amp?

Hi folks,

Having done quite some reading I would like to know whether a CD63KI with many of the mods and tweeks listed in this thread would be a fair match/good pairing with a valve headphone amp. I am specifically referring to a replica of the EAR mini headphone amp found here .

If you know of something similar (headphone amp) which does not necessarily have to be valve based that works very well with the CD63KI I would greatly appreciate it.

The main reason for this is because a good late night listening session does not always go down well with other family members :devilr: so I would also be looking for something a little more discrete.

Many thanks,

Justin

Re: Matching the CD63KI to a valve amp?

JustIN8 said:
Hi folks,

Having done quite some reading I would like to know whether a CD63KI with many of the mods and tweeks listed in this thread would be a fair match/good pairing with a valve headphone amp.

Many thanks,

Justin

Hey, it surely is a good match with my amp :D. Not a headphone amp though...
You should try the JJ ECC99, very nice tube for this purpose.

Ray.

Attachments

• audio setup.jpg
    audio setup.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 363

Hi Justin,

Originally posted by JustIN8 ... I would like to know whether a CD63KI with many of the mods and tweeks listed in this thread would be a fair match/good pairing with a valve headphone amp.
:att'n: Why not?
If you know of something similar (headphone amp) which does not necessarily have to be valve based that works very well with the CD63KI I would greatly appreciate it.
:bigeyes: Have a look at The Headwise website for diy projects.

Which words we use are not in your vocabulair? Make a list and I'll do an attempt to translate them.

Regards, Jaap

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: What will it match ?

avr300[/I] I'll think they're up to the job. All the FC are bypassed with WIMA film at the bottom. I would like to put in matched caps for the filter (the AD8620 stays! ). I do have a bunch of cheramics said:
Nah, I wouldn't bother with ceramics if I were you, they are the worst choice for audio. They have all sorts of nasty side effects (like piezo-properties). Go for polypropylene (MKP), polyphenylene sulphide (PPS), polystyrene (Styroflex) or silver-mica. Here's a post with a PDF that shows the differences between some commonly used caps.

Ray.

Absolutely. Besides, ceramics age.
Be aware that not all Silvered Mica have equal quality, some have a nasty dielectric absorbsion (worse than polyester). It would be made from mica with a high degree of impurities.
Jaap

6h5c said:

Hey, it surely is a good match with my amp :D. Not a headphone amp though...
You should try the JJ ECC99, very nice tube for this purpose.

Ray.

Thanks Ray, your amp looks the buisness. If one had to build such an amp, how long would it take to set up etc. From the little I have read the single ended is good but expensive and the push pull has more power. If you can recommend a good thread/site to follow with respect to your amp it would be greatly appreciated.

disco said:
Hi Justin,

:att'n: Why not?

Sorry, just my ignorance coming through. I have till recently associated tube amps with turntables so was not so aware of mixing tubes with cd decks. :eek:

:bigeyes: Have a look at The Headwise website for diy projects.

Thanks Jaap, looks great. Tons of resources here. :)

Which words we use are not in your vocabulair? Make a list and I'll do an attempt to translate them.

Regards, Jaap

Thanks again Jaap I will do.

Cheers,

Justin

Here is my report on the discrete pcb using 2SK170 FETs.

I have run it over the weekend.

I always thought my OPA627 / OPA132 combo was very open and natural but after listening to this pcb its not LOL. The sound stage is a little wider and the very delicate splashy treble (from brush on symbols) is more defined and realistic.

Vocal are also cleaner which is nice!

When testing this pcb on a fairly standard CD67 the bass seemed light by comparison to the NJM's. But when the pcb was fitted to my KI the bass was BIG. There is more bass than I had from my opamp combo which pleased me some what.

I supplied the +/- 12V with 2x audiocom super regs and 4x blackgate 16V 470uF caps with ac supplied from the KI TX 20V winding (nothing else on this winding)

Get this discrete pcb built and fitted and you wont be dissapointed.

Brent