Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

SimontY said:

Excellent mate, I'm really pleased it's worked out so well. Can't wait to get on the case with this. :smash:

And you're putting the signal through electrolytic caps, who'd have thought?! :D

Simon

Well Rubycon claim and i'll use this quote "Better than every film capacitor available, second only to copper and silver foil capacitors".

A bold claim, but I must admit they offer more sonically than the two (LCR & AMPOHM) caps I tried.

Brent

rowemeister said:

Well Rubycon claim and i'll use this quote "Better than every film capacitor available, second only to copper and silver foil capacitors".

A bold claim, but I must admit they offer more sonically than the two (LCR & AMPOHM) caps I tried.

Brent

Just to be clear I wasn't knocking it. I'd like to try them myself. But I probably won't because of the steep price. :bigeyes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Matching the CD63KI to a valve amp?

SimontY said:
Hi Jaap,

I think CAT5 used to be made with PVC insulation, and now it is made with teflon. I think to ensure it's teflon you get you must buy CAT5e, although I can't remember for sure... :scratch:

Hello Simon,

Teflon is not too bad for dielectric and it does not melt when soldering. Exchanging the few decimeters used in the CDP will not impact the reproduction much, but every single bit helps to obtain the best possible. I use an unshielded pair for interconnects, no hum at all when kept away from mains leads. Fitted straight to the output of the buffer and finished with Eichmann Silver Bullet connectors.
Regards, Jaap

rowemeister said:
Here is my report on the discrete pcb using 2SK170 FETs.

I have run it over the weekend.

I always thought my OPA627 / OPA132 combo was very open and natural but after listening to this pcb its not LOL. The sound stage is a little wider and the very delicate splashy treble (from brush on symbols) is more defined and realistic.

Vocal are also cleaner which is nice!

When testing this pcb on a fairly standard CD67 the bass seemed light by comparison to the NJM's. But when the pcb was fitted to my KI the bass was BIG. There is more bass than I had from my opamp combo which pleased me some what.

I supplied the +/- 12V with 2x audiocom super regs and 4x blackgate 16V 470uF caps with ac supplied from the KI TX 20V winding (nothing else on this winding)

Get this discrete pcb built and fitted and you wont be dissapointed.

Brent

Hi Brent,

To my opinion obtaining clear voices from digital is the most difficult part. In that field analogue has the advantage. I think you made a big compliment to the effort!

Regards Jaap

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Matching the CD63KI to a valve amp?

disco said:

Hello Simon,

Teflon is not too bad for dielectric and it does not melt when soldering. Exchanging the few decimeters used in the CDP will not impact the reproduction much, but every single bit helps to obtain the best possible. I use an unshielded pair for interconnects, no hum at all when kept away from mains leads. Fitted straight to the output of the buffer and finished with Eichmann Silver Bullet connectors.
Regards, Jaap

Yes, teflon is a technically good dielectric, although I think it sounds coloured - some sort of upper midrange emphasis, particularly bad with silver plated copper.

I think CAT5 sounds good. I tried an interconnect with it once and it was fine. Might try it again some time but with different geometry. My power lead (before I installed an IEC socket) was 54 strands of CAT5 (I think it was 54 - extreme low reistance and high capacitance I think lol) and it sounded great. I need to somehow wire it to an IEC plug now. Wattgate maybe, hmm, but I have no money.

I've heard nothing but good things about Eichmann Bullet Plugs, I'd love to try them at some point. I'm sure your system is top-notch Jaap.

Simon

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Matching the CD63KI to a valve amp?

SimontY said:

I've heard nothing but good things about Eichmann Bullet Plugs, I'd love to try them at some point. I'm sure your system is top-notch Jaap.

Simon

I have Eichmann Bullet Plugs on my cable talk 'The reference' interconnect and I must say the contact these connectors make is superb. A very simple yet clever design.

Brent

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Matching the CD63KI to a valve amp?

disco said:

Hello Simon,

Regards, Jaap

Jaap
I like the idea of the connectors with a simple contact point.
but why did they only do it for the earth connector.

With their discriptions of why the earth contact area can have problems.
the same goes for the centre pin(+).

allan

ps
Cat5-e cables are designed for network comms eg 100mHz over how many metres of cable.
any decent Cat-e cable,eg (belden) is high quality copper.

The Frequencies reqired in audio is not much of a challenge for the cable.
the reason for Cat5-e is relatively cheap is because of volume manufacture, it's made by the kilometre (hundreds).

Also useful for low power voltage lines, eg +/- 5v,12v (pre-twisted, just pull them out of the pvc shieth)

SimontY said:
Yes, teflon is a technically good dielectric, although I think it sounds coloured - some sort of upper midrange emphasis, particularly bad with silver plated copper.
Well, the properties of an interconnect come down to capacitance (HF roll off), resistance (LF roll off a.o.) and dielectric absorption. The often seen multistrand conductor introduces extra problems w.r.t. electron flow. Because for a short lenght and low power the resistance part is of lesser importance, thin solid wire gives good results, either copper or silver. I use a single strand 0.25mm silver in PTFT sleeve. Plus for silver is that silveroxid has the same conductance as silver, while copperoxide has not.
Silvered copper for an interconnect? Thought it was abandoned 20 years ago :confused:
I think CAT5 sounds good. I tried an interconnect with it once and it was fine. Might try it again some time but with different geometry.
The twisting suppresses common noise (noise is picked up in both leads but is most of the time out of phase, thus cancelled). No sleeving gives lower capacitance what is benifical for high frequency reproduction.
My power lead (before I installed an IEC socket) was 54 strands of CAT5 (I think it was 54 - extreme low reistance and high capacitance I think lol) and it sounded great. I need to somehow wire it to an IEC plug now. Wattgate maybe, hmm, but I have no money.

Simon

The Quest for Reality Reproduction is a looong way which I hope to enjoy for a long time coming. :eek: To arrive at a certain point you sometimes have to invest in expensive solutions, sometimes they are dirt cheap (why keeping RCA's?) and sometimes it needs some elbow grease. Enjoyed the pictures of your ground wire :)
Jaap

SimontY said:

My power lead (before I installed an IEC socket) was 54 strands of CAT5 (I think it was 54 - extreme low reistance and high capacitance I think lol) and it sounded great. I need to somehow wire it to an IEC plug now. Wattgate maybe, hmm, but I have no money.

Simon

Undecided about super-duper power supply cables.
It has to deliver 240volt 10-15amp at 50Hz, standard power here.
Which would be more than adaquate for a cd player.

Interferance, noise, spikes etc would have more of an effect.
So just a decent power conditioner could be an idea but even then
the earth in the building could have more of an influence.

allan

ps this may upset some viewers:D

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Matching the CD63KI to a valve amp?

disco said:
Well, the properties of an interconnect come down to capacitance (HF roll off), resistance (LF roll off a.o.) and dielectric absorption. The often seen multistrand conductor introduces extra problems w.r.t. electron flow. Because for a short lenght and low power the resistance part is of lesser importance, thin solid wire gives good results. Either copper or silver, I use a single strand 0.25mm silver in PTFT sleeve.
Silvered copper for an interconnect? Thought it was abandoned 20 years ago :confused:

I think it's popular! And one of my interconnects is made like this -- Chord Silver Siren. And it's not even cheap (when new), but I bought it cheaply second hand to try out. It will be ok for bass or something when going active in the future. But it's not good as an all-rounder.

Enjoyed the pictures of your ground wire :)
Jaap

lol! I have much to do. (I think good house mains and earth is essential.)

awpagan said:

Undecided about super-duper power supply cables.
It has to deliver 240volt 10-15amp at 50Hz, standard power here.
Which would be more than adaquate for a cd player.

Interferance, noise, spikes etc would have more of an effect.
So just a decent power conditioner could be an idea but even then
the earth in the building could have more of an influence.

allan

ps this may upset some viewers:D

Better to be undecided than to arrogantly state it can't make an audible difference :D In my experience there can be an audible difference, but it's a smaller difference than placing an isolation transformer inbetween the cd player and mains. Very worthwhile.

Simon

awpagan said:
silver gold or copper

http://www.audioholics.com/techtips/audioprinciples/interconnects/silveraudiocables.php

silver might be the best for conductivity but buy how much?

copper doesn't look too bad

maybe it's the oxidation that makes high end use gold rca's

allan

Yes, that's the one. And it looks impressive. Kimber/Russ Andrews like Nickel for their phonos.

If someone said I didn't have to pay I'd have solid silver plugs and solid core silver wires I think. They'd be ohno-continuous-cast (not drawn) and high purity of course. And they'd be insulated with something non-plastic, or maybe foamed PE, that seems like a good idea.

But come on, these are wires, let's not get carried away (I know, I'm guilty). Until we've all got power as clean as Brent has in the player we can't justify spending big money on wiring, in my opinion.