Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
221325d1304354367-what-fr-250-pair-driver-works-best-bookshelf-sized-speaker-el70-sealed-sim.gif

A midRange TL, done well, will flatten impedance and "suck the back wave away"

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
If done well... Do you think that's something i could do inside that box?
Sucking the back wave away, what are the benefits?

You'd have to get quite creative to fit a TL inside the ML-TL oriented with the narrow side as the baffle.

If you can suck the back wave away then none of it comes back thru the cone, eliminating time-smeared extraneous signal from being added to the music.

dave

You'd have to get quite creative to fit a TL inside the ML-TL oriented with the narrow side as the baffle.

If you can suck the back wave away then none of it comes back thru the cone, eliminating time-smeared extraneous signal from being added to the music.

dave

Quite creative, what's the problems i would be facing?

The reward sounds fine. It sounds like it's well worth spending a couple hours on it.

These speakers play hiphop well. One might not think that a 4" full-range speaker would sound good to hiphop but it does.

Caught In The Hustle (Bonus Track) - Immortal Technique - Spotify
The bass sounds like from an 8" woofer or something. I can't play that super-loud but quite loud and it sounds good. There's no really physical bass, but it is definately audible :)

Quite impressive. The drivers barely move but it makes loads of bass :)

The larger woofers like the Eminence 15" is tempting.

I've read about the dry and nice bass by people using them. That's something that would certainly be nice. I can live with not having full pressure to <35Hz. The bass depth in the EL70 are pretty okay (maybe a little deeper would be nice) but i lack the headroom.

And since i guess they require a box the size of a house it might be able to use it as stands for the Mar-Kel70?

Dave, has any guy contacted you about plans? Not Max, but some other guy.
I have uploaded a video on YouTube of my Mar-Kel70 playing some music and some guy sent me a message wondering about plans and if they're good to electronical music and so. I told him to contact you for plans and that they, in my opinion, work great for most electronic music :D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The current CHP-70 (not the new one Mark is making) is interchangeable with EL-70 in enclosures?

No. Close but not quite. I haven't looked at them extensively and will likely concentrate of CHP70.3. The original A6 is interchangable with the EL70 in the mMar-Kel (large enclosure for A6, small enclosure for EL70). Appropriate driver fixing changes.

dave