Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

Dave,

Sorry if this is OT, but what are the recommended enclosures for CHP-70? I can think of FH MK3 and Pensil for CHP-70. Blue Planet Acoustics has the CHP-70 on sale and have the opportunity to sweep some up. But would not want to get stuck with a driver that has limited cabinet options. Read that the current CHP-70 is also gem of a driver and very smooth (mainly from folks who have done the FH MK3), and is probably more finessed than the CHR-70 in mid and high frequencies. So would love to give it a try in a good design ala CHR-Ken or Twin CHR-Ken type of enclosures.

-Zia

If there is sufficient demand (ie 1 person buys plan-set for EL70) for CHP-70 i will adapt Mar-Kel(s) for it. It is in the boilerplate.

dave

Dave,

On Twin CHR-Ken I am fighting a losing battle; peeps who want the speakers seem to value grunt over finesse and Micro Towers being favored more.:scratch:

Again OT (sorry), will CHP-70s work in MT with EL-70 port tuning?

-Zia

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
On Twin CHR-Ken I am fighting a losing battle; peeps who want the speakers seem to value grunt over finesse and Micro Towers being favored more.:scratch:

For serious grunt, perhaps time to introduce them to the big twin driver CHR MTMs (there is an upcoming EL70 variation and all will be adjusted for CHP as time goes on). If my experiement with EL166/#6 woofer is any indication, converting to a high aspect ratio slot port can gain you some finesse.

Again OT (sorry), will CHP-70s work in MT with EL-70 port tuning?

No. I have already looked at the mMar-Kel70 and tuning is quite different. Existing CHP looks like it may also take advantage of a larger box so for instance a true floorstander Twin might be possible (ie no high heels needed)

dave

For serious grunt, perhaps time to introduce them to the big twin driver CHR MTMs (there is an upcoming EL70 variation and all will be adjusted for CHP as time goes on). If my experiement with EL166/#6 woofer is any indication, converting to a high aspect ratio slot port can gain you some finesse.
dave

"Big twin driver CHR MTM" - what is that?

No. I have already looked at the mMar-Kel70 and tuning is quite different. Existing CHP looks like it may also take advantage of a larger box so for instance a true floorstander Twin might be possible (ie no high heels needed)
dave

This sounds sweet indeed.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
also like smaller floor standers

small was one of the motivations for the microTower. I spurred Chris to suggest "cloning" the original microTowers after i had the idea of doing a miniTower tribute (still have drivers for that althou i haven't settled on the driver for the built in subwoofer -- if an on-going experiment turns out, maybe 4 12s in a pushpull-pushpush isobarik arrangement.

dave

Dave,

You are playing with the TLAs today - WFW - Woofer Full-range Woofer - at least I managed to decode that :).

The WFW EL66 MLTL - is 14' x 12' too small for such a system? I have tried to provide a diagram - speakers kept roughly 10-11 feet apart, toed in approx 45 degrees, listening distance comes to roughly 9.5' for position 2, approx 6.5' for position 1.

-Zia

Attachments

• spk_plan.jpg
    spk_plan.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 181
Dave, was studying the EL66 ML-TL plans - single woofer MLTL design also looks good - dimensions are very room friendly.

With HF+Mid Range duties passed on to a 4 inch FR, there still should be enough bass impact to beat an EL70 Micro Tower? Or am I expecting too much from 6.5" woofer with 5.5 mm xmax?

-Zia

EL166 has ~3.25 times the Sd as EL70. Take ~ 4 EL70 to move the same air. Plus the lower Fs means capability for more extension at the low end.

dave

Dave,

I will kick off the EL166/Woofer #6 MLTL project with 1 x woofer and 1 x FR unit per cabinet then.

If I feel need for more impact, then will move on to the bigger cabinet with 2 x EL166/side.

BTW, I have seen pics of your prototype with 2 x EL166 white cone/side with Fostex mid-tweet. Did you find the time to do the smaller cab with 1 EL166/side?

-Zia

Dave,

I will kick off the EL166/Woofer #6 MLTL project with 1 x woofer and 1 x FR unit per cabinet then.

If I feel need for more impact, then will move on to the bigger cabinet with 2 x EL166/side.

BTW, I have seen pics of your prototype with 2 x EL166 white cone/side with Fostex mid-tweet. Did you find the time to do the smaller cab with 1 EL166/side?

-Zia

I'd really like to see the results!

For the moment i am planning on using some more expensive woofers. Like Peerless HDS EXCL 830884 or something similar. Although the 2x EL166 would probably have more impact but i guess the 830884 sounds a little better.