Mar-Kel70 in Sweden

TerryO,

Thanks for putting this very meaningful response together. I was starting with your first line, but lack the insights into Dave and DIY fest among other things. My journey on this path has started more recently and in this short span of time, Dave's inputs have been invaluable.

Regards,
Zia

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Any cabinet tips?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mark...woofer-1-silk-tweet-combo-16.html#post2337734

195454d1289116224-marks-proto-6-5-woofer-1-silk-tweet-combo-el166-mtm-front.jpg

195455d1289116224-marks-proto-6-5-woofer-1-silk-tweet-combo-el166-mtm-close.jpg

Some small differences in the woofers. The TL was designed for the dark cone, but works (really) fine with the white.

dave

TerryO,

Thanks for putting this very meaningful response together. I was starting with your first line, but lack the insights into Dave and DIY fest among other things. My journey on this path has started more recently and in this short span of time, Dave's inputs have been invaluable.

Regards,
Zia

Zia,

Dave has been a great source of help and information for many years. I remember his presence on the old "Bass List" along with Greg Monfort (GM) and a number of other worthy individuals.

Best Regards,
TerryO

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Looks like i haven't got this up yet, if i have noted it, it must be buried in a thread somewhere. I just uploaded it and updated the box-plan pages.

http://homepage.mac.com/tlinespeakers/Woden/downloads/EL166-MAno6-ML-TLs-280411.pdf

Any FR could be used as a mid-tweet in-between... or they could be used as stand-alone woofers, or folded and used as stands.

dave

Interesting. I would prefer having the woofers in the same physical structure.
What if i'd like 4 woofers per side?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Cross-section?

A TL is a height x a cross-section (area of the pipe sliced perpendicular to the length)

Use another vent or double area?

Either works

Where would the woofer be placed?

Placed in your room, or placed in the box?

Where would be a good XO point?

80-250 Hz (depending on whether we are talking still in the Mar-Kel or in a dedicated chamber in a monolithic box). The higher you go the louder you can play with greater dynamics, lower gives more coherence, more of the music coming from the mid-tweeter.

dave

Rullknufs, I see all these posts and notice the complaints about not being able to hit 100dB volume levels and I think to myself, aren't you a little young to start down the path of hearing loss?

Seriously though, it sounds like you are asking for a beastly speaker setup to hit very low notes with authority at very high volume levels. I am also somewhere between a month or two from having finished twin EL70s but I can bet right now that I wouldn't dream of testing them for your intended use.
I am interested in what you find as a solution though, and how badly it hurts your wallet.

A TL is a height x a cross-section (area of the pipe sliced perpendicular to the length)

Placed in your room, or placed in the box?

80-250 Hz (depending on whether we are talking still in the Mar-Kel or in a dedicated chamber in a monolithic box). The higher you go the louder you can play with greater dynamics, lower gives more coherence, more of the music coming from the mid-tweeter.

dave

So i basically double the depth of the speaker?
Placed in the box i was thinking. In a dedicated chamber in a monolithic box.
Will go for workout now and later today i'll hook up the S-1

That would work

dave

Would not be doable for the "thin-baffle" version i was thinking of. And where on the baffle would i place the drivers?

It feels like 4 drivers per side would be difficult to achieve. 2 seems like a better deal. Or do like the DTQWT, place low-subs (like 80Hz down) on the back and a woofer in front?
That would lead to three amplifiers though :S

By the way, any simulations on those?
Where would the f3 be?

Would not be doable for the "thin-baffle" version i was thinking of. And where on the baffle would i place the drivers?

It feels like 4 drivers per side would be difficult to achieve. 2 seems like a better deal. Or do like the DTQWT, place low-subs (like 80Hz down) on the back and a woofer in front?
That would lead to three amplifiers though :S

Where would the f3 be?

sounds like deja-vu all over again - remember how much over-thinking took place before you settled on your current set of speakers?

how well did simulations on those reconcile with what you're actually hearing?

FWIW, my advice is to keep in mind the room(s) in which you anticipate being able to use this next system, and start small

sounds like deja-vu all over again - remember how much over-thinking took place before you settled on your current set of speakers?

FWIW, my advice is to keep in mind the room(s) in which you anticipate being able to use this next system, and start small

That's true. Well, my current room can't be changed in any way, unfortunately. And my next room will take atleast another 2-3 years and maybe more, and i got no clue of what it would look like.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
And where on the baffle would i place the drivers?

At the specified Zd, or if displaced vertically (as in the MTM) with a centerline at the Zd

Where would the f3 be?

I probably have some. From listening in my room, it suggests useful response to the high 20s, low 30s.

dave

Don't stop the heavy music...

That's true. Well, my current room can't be changed in any way, unfortunately. And my next room will take atleast another 2-3 years and maybe more, and i got no clue of what it would look like.

Rullknufs,

Go ahead and build the 2 woofer per box MLTL that Scott's designed - if it is underpowered then let's get back to the drawing board!

Head banging should not wait! :D

I am trying to find ways to get these drivers here. Otherwise will just buy some local stuff and throw them in cabs.

Dave, Chrisb,

You have any prototypes/plans on any FAST with a FR unit and 12"/10" woofs? I have a pair of 12" woofs lying (actually still in the sealed box of 3 way) and can play around with those ideas while I get the MA Woofer #6s.

-Zia

Rullknufs,

Go ahead and build the 2 woofer per box MLTL that Scott's designed - if it is underpowered then let's get back to the drawing board!

Head banging should not wait! :D

Maybe it sounds simple for you adults who have jobs and good income. I have little cash (well not really, i've been saving for years) and i want to spend it wisely, not just throwing it away on bad stuff/stuff i wont use.

Do the woofers integrate well with EL70? If not i don't want them, no matter how loud and deep they play.