Making out the Pink Floyd lyrics, or how much can you really hear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think I gave credit to the producer too. I only mentioned AP because of the coincidence that he had worked with both acts in the same studios. Its a bit of trivia (apparently more common knowledge than I had thought) that’s always amused me as did Peters print through comments that lured me into this conversation.

I think I read the same article. REP or Mix or something like that.

But... Ive always been suspect of the artist who claims to have made a great album in spite of their producer/engineer. Ive heard a lot of whine-ning from some artists (not the Floyd boys in this case) about how the label made them work with some hack that doesn’t understand their vision and whose only qualification to be in the room with them was their dozen or so platinum albums. Funny though its usually the only decent recording that they will ever make.

In this case I still believe, that this recording is what it is because the artists, engineer and yes what’s his name the producer too all did their things very well and at the same time.

I'm getting the feeling here that I'm just reiterating stuff that everyone else has already considered and doesn’t care about. The conversation thread was centered on the lyrics not how they got there.

-Ciao

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Here's a heavily filtered WAV of the flight number.

This is really tough...I had it on a loop for a while and somehow I hear "gate" 255 or 215 (not sure).

Does anyone know whether Heathrow or Gatwick have that may at all?

Iv'e no idea if that subtrack was recorded live somewhere but it sure does sound like an airport PA system to me.

Cheers,;)

RichardN said:
Talking about airport announcements..

This is quite a funny thing. Some people posing as taxi drivers went up to the announcements desk and asked for some ficticious people to be paged. (apologies to everyone who has heard this before..)

http://www.frigger.de/humor/airport.doc

Geez you read my mind. I tried attaching that very one last night as a zip file but it was too big.

:D

Well I contacted some friends of mine who perform in a PF tribute band and their three destinations are Rome, Prato and Naples.

I understand that Prato is near Rome so the flight could go to Rome then Prato then Naples. or maybe it went to Rome, Prato in the same way that flights to London can be London, Heathrow or London, Gatwick!

Interestingly my friends did not know about the 'whispering' on 'Great Gig In The Sky'!

Interestingly enough: I was listening to this on my Sennheiser headphones plugged into my scumbag computer soundcard, and found it was more intelligible if I EQ'd out everything under 500Hz and above 6Khz! I think this demonstrates that maximum intelligibility is equivalent to maximum listening pleasure.

now if hearing certain words and whispers defines the quality of a system yet its easier to hear these words getting rid of certain frequencies then perhaps these high quality systems are devoid of some frequencies in the first place which surely means they're not so high in the quality stakes as first thought!;)

As for one system being better than another it makes absolutely no difference as we all hear sounds through differently shaped ears of varying ages in different rooms in assortments of air pressures backed up with a plethora (lovely word:) ) of background noises!!

Advice!!! Build a IGC get a m8 to go buy you a cd player and speakers(getting him(or her) to remove all manufacturers identification marks) set up system, pop a Floyd disk in the tray, sit back, take a long draw from your Doobie, pipe or cup of tea, close one eye and what happens next is called music! enjoy!!

now if hearing certain words and whispers defines the quality of a system yet its easier to hear these words getting rid of certain frequencies then perhaps these high quality systems are devoid of some frequencies in the first place which surely means they're not so high in the quality stakes as first thought!

No, the mark of a 'good' system is to be able to present the detail despite other information coming off the record or CD (at any frequency).

To say that a system can reveal the details discussed in this thread only because it removes other information (at the frequency extremes) is not necessarily correct!

And to state that the Gainclones are good enough to make any source/loudspeaker sound good is nothing but an advertisement for the 'box shifter' brigade.

Goosey, you have heard the IGC's that you built (which are exact copies of mine) in your friend's system. Are you saying that it sounded the same as my IGC system (with different CDP and speakers)? :whazzat:

Joined 2003
Paid Member
No, the mark of a 'good' system is to be able to present the detail despite other information coming off the record or CD (at any frequency).
The correct term should be analytical IMHO.

I just sent the ‘airport’ piece to a technician from the Belgium radio.
I happen to know the guy and asked him to filter out the voice. :cool:

Let’s wait and see.

/Hugo :)

Tsk Tsk Tsk Nuuk

The removal of manufacturers id is not saying that anything will sound good its taking the p**s out of psuedo blind test conditions( hence one eye shut ) ;-)

Unfortunately as your reply only amplifies, the problem is taking things far to seriously, the more serious you are to music the more analitical it will sound as your concert pianist chum and many people i know in music tend to find, i think the most amazing thing is that most muso's don't give a toss to sound quality as its the music they listen to not the carrier( not that i agree in the slightest ) The majority of live music sounds awful at best quite good in the sweet spot (tricky getting 5000 peeps in that spot) but you go because of the atmosphere, most musicians have been sat to close to a loud monitor or p.a. for too many years anyway they wouldn't know a good sound if it came up and bit them and i'm sure if Dave Gilmour decided to offer us another colaboration of agreeing Floyd members to another album he would make sure there were some barely audible samples for us to argue over for many years to come ( here's hoping )
So sit down relax take a chill pill and listen to the rythmn!! ( its between that cough and the engineer scratching his balls sound or is he eating a packet of crisps!!)

The removal of manufacturers id is not saying that anything will sound good its taking the p**s out of psuedo blind test conditions( hence one eye shut ) ;-)

I'm not quite sure why we would want to ridicule blind listening tests!

As for one system being better than another it makes absolutely no difference as we all hear sounds through differently shaped ears of varying ages in different rooms in assortments of air pressures backed up with a plethora (lovely word ) of background noises!!

Agreed to a point. But if the other factors that you quote have such an effect that you cannot differentiate between different equipment ("systems"), then why have you ever changed it?

The reason for this thread was to demonstrate the clarity of the IGC amps although there has also been a healthy academic interest in what the sounds on the DSOTM album did actually say.

Nobody has suggested (AFAIK) that this is the only yardstick for measuring hi-fi or the only way to listen to an album.

If it is a case of just listening to an album and enjoying the music then I can't see much reason for coming on a hi-fi forum.

I agree that musicality has more to do with rhythm and timing but I would also suggest that we listen to different types of music slightly differently.

For instance, listening to Diana Krall the main thing that you notice is 'the music' (ie melody) while listening to parts of PF albums, or Massive Attack etc, we are more entertained by the various aspects (ie sound effects) of the piece as much as the musical effect.

So while clarity is important in both types of music, it is for differing reasons.

If something is recorded not to be understanded, then it won't be.
No matter what system.
But you can have an equalizer on your system with the midband pushed to the top and it won't make it a better system.
You may understand some sounds (voices) better, though.:D
But the whole thing will sound like crap.:bawling:

Pink Floyd, On The Run lyrics

After reading the posts on this topic and my own careful listening I think I've finally discerned the the following as the complete lyrics to "On The Run":

(Female airport announcer, announcing flights:
"Have your hand baggage and your passports ready and follow the green line to customs and then to immigration."
"BA215 to Rome via Prato, Naples."

"May I have your attention please."
"Cleared through customs will be recieving these passengers for BA215 to Rome, Prato, Naples."
"Then proceed to Gate Number Six."
"Have your tickets, hand baggage and your passports ready.")

"Live for today, gone tomorrow, that's me, ha-ha-haaaaaa!"

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.