Making out the Pink Floyd lyrics, or how much can you really hear?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Could be print through on recycled tape, If I'm not mistaken (somebody should check) they were both recorded at Abby Road. I think Allen Parsons may have been an assistant engineer on both projects too.

Perhaps the reason we keep coming back to these recordings is that they were done so well. The equipment they were using wasn’t fully evolved, but the engineers would stop at nothing to make things work well. I’ve often thought that they did a lot of recordings at 30 IPS, or they did some kind of a Robert Johnson, crossroads deal with El Diablo.

Alan Parsons was born in London, England on December 20, 1948.

After showing early promise as a musician - learning piano, guitar and flute as a child, Alan started to take on the role of listener rather than the player. Although still working as a musician in the late sixties he turned his attention to a career at the famous Abbey Road Studios in London, where he was fortunate enough to have participated in the last works of The Beatles. He was assistant engineer on "Let It Be" and the brilliant "Abbey Road" album.

This was only the beginning however; As the engineering mastermind behind Pink Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" album, Alan became highly sought after as one of the new breed of creative engineers.

http://www.theavenueonline.info/site1/bios/parsons.htm

But what the hell do now I'm just an old fart with a failing memory and a google tool bar in my browser.

My point about the equipment was that it was OK, but it didn’t make great recordings on its own, the level of intimacy that those guys had with the engineering of the recordings was phenomenal and still reeks to me of a Faustian bargain.

I have contended for years that it takes great engineers and producers to make great recordings. These guys can make good recordings with almost anything. The engineer to the media they have available.

Getting back to the lyrics (of the 'hidden' kind), it's interesting that for all our collective efforts, we still haven't agreed on what is exactly said in the airport sequence.

I have always heard the flight number as 215. Interestingly, after reading somebody else stating it was "flight 255" I listened again and heard it as "flight 255". However the next day I listened again and heard "flight 215"! Just goes to show how much influence the power of suggestion has!

Now, if the three destinations are Rome, Prado and Naples, that means the flight goes to Rome then Spain and finally back to Italy. which is not logical or likely.

Of course, the flight announcement could be a recording of the real thing or 'manufactured'in the stdio. The current BA flight 215 goes from London to Boston.

There's little doubt that the first is Rome. I say that the second is probably Cairo but could also be Chicago. And no matter how many times that I listen, the third sounds more like Phoenix than anything else.

Yes, there are web sites with these details on but are they correct?

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Nuuk said:
Just goes to show how much influence the power of suggestion has!
Correct. In one of my
earlier posts I stated that the word 'whispering' was the only correct one. Till then I never listened to "The Great Gig..." to hear that word. I simply took it from the net.
In the following post your attempt includes the word.
Now I'm pretty sure that "If you can hear this whispering you are dying." was never used in the song.
Only "I never said I was frightened of dying." is very understandable. (To me)

The flight announcement was (According to the Floyd forum ) 'Originally recorded for a comedy show'

IMHO the best way to find out is a good record and a good cartridge. One of these days I try the Stanton 881. :)

/Hugo

IMHO the best way to find out is a good record and a good cartridge. One of these days I try the Stanton 881.

Well I had better get my TT back into the system then. At present it is sitting on a shelf immediately behind my Open baffle speakers so I had better re-locate it.

I am certain that "whispering" is one of the words on the 'Great Gig' track.

Well, if the flight announcement was manufactured then it need not conform to logic! So could it be "Rome, Chicago and Phoenix"?

Come on guys, there must be more than a few of us with this album - that I am certain of!

Nuuk said:

Come on guys, there must be more than a few of us with this album - that I am certain of!

I connected my CD-Pro transport and had another listen;) I still hear 255 and it's definitely Rome, Prado. The last destination sounds like dales, gales or whales and I can't figure it out.

The whishpering is "I never said I was frightened of dying" (pretty much distinguishable now).

BA215. British Airways didn't exist until 1974 (When BOAC and BEA merged), so I guess that BA215 would have been a BEA (British European Airways) flight, ruling out Chicago.

PS There is also a version of On The Run on the EMI 75th Anniversary complilation record "A Voice To Remember". Sounds much better (more deep bass for one thing) than either my pressing of DSOTM or the remastered CD version.

Mastermind!! What mastermind??

I heard an interview with the Floyd, many years ago. They were not amused that Parsons was trying to take so much credit for DSOTM. He started at EMI as a kid who loaded tape onto the machines, and slowly worked his way up the chain.

EMI rotated engineers on their projects, and it just happened to be Parsons turn on that recording.

The producer is the one responsible for the sound and "feel" of the recording, not the engineer.

Jocko

fdegrove said:

Wouldn't it be easier to listen over a good headphone set?

Yes. I gave it a quick play on my bedroom system and decided the main problems were ambient background noise (not least screaming 2 y.o. daughters) and possibly room reverb masking the details. Headphones solved both of these.

My other finding was that the foreground VCS3 noises are in the way, and you get much better intelligibility with some drastic EQ (bass and top cut, as mentioned previously). It's worth trying this if you have the facilities, or maybe I can post a WAV file snippet.

The point is that you may well find this particular piece more intelligible if you played it over, say, narrow-bandwidth PA horns than a decent full-range system. Tweaking your system on the basis of this test may well make it more unpleasant for music listening.

Cheers
IH

One of the problems of this thread is a lot of the resolution and sensitivity of a detectable signal is largly speaker dependant(and source naturally).A faster light cone large magnet (lower Qts) driver naturally has more resolution.I have done A/B with different speakers and IMHO the winner is single driver lower Qts horns.Of course ths may also be dependant on the quality of the speaker , lets face it Wilson audio puppies vrs some POS from walmart?
ron

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I too have a pretty decent filtered piece. It's about 500k so someone should be able to post it on a website, I can mail it if you want.
Of course we don't want trouble with copyrights.
Any thoughts?

We could always mail Roger Waters himself of course. :clown:

/Hugo :)

The whishpering is "I never said I was frightened of dying" (pretty much distinguishable now).

Peter, we were not talking about that bit on the intro to the track. About two and a half minutes into the track (if I remember correctly) a female voice says something.

BA215. British Airways didn't exist until 1974 (When BOAC and BEA merged), so I guess that BA215 would have been a BEA (British European Airways) flight, ruling out Chicago.

Thats right Richard. I had the same thought while out this afternoon. However, if the announcement is manufactured as has been reported here, then it would not rule out any destination as they could have said what they liked.

BA 215

Here's a heavily filtered WAV of the flight number. Make up your own mind, but I'm pretty convinced this is 215 rather than 255.

Cheers
IH

As for the copyright, I'm led to believe posting this counts as 'fair use' - under at least some jurisdictions you are allowed to use small excerpts for the purposes of criticism (in the 'literary' sense).

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.