Low level body/weight presence wanted: Can 12" full range deliver?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For a wide cab to 'disappear' requires it to be acoustically indistinguishable from the rear/side walls, so it will depend on its depth and how far from the rear/side walls it is to find where it blends into the room's gain curve. As a rule-of-thumb it's in the 30-48" wide range depending on the speaker's F6 and roll off slope.

GM

planet10 said:

Both Demetri & Mileva are in this vien. They would only need fancy cabinet work...

Even with a full-range the wider cabinets don't seem to dissapear as well as their narrow heavily champhered counterparts. EnABL experiments are on-going to see if that can remedy the issue.

dave

Hi Dave,

I sincerely appreciate the suggestion but I fear I'd be strung up if by this point I didn't go with a switchable damped vent semi-aperiodic BR/Tapered TL! :)

I know the Strad/Elipsa/PMS are supposed to be an ideal between ghostly apparition and solid presence, so I'm OK with not entirely disappearing. Especially if, as GM says, it would cost me an ironically imposing 30-48" to "not see them."

Out of curiouslity, if they could be made near aperiodic for a Cast 12, how much volume would ML Voigts still need?

No - wait a second! - After 401 posts this is a test isn't it? :)

Jerry

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
VanJerry said:
I know the Strad/Eclipsa/PMS are supposed to be an ideal between ghostly apparition and solid presence, so I'm OK with not entirely disappearing.

I do know the Elipsa have been the only speaker thru the local hifi emporium that i really enjoyed sitting down and listening to for an extended time, and the angled back baffle certainly has to help things... they were good enuff that i was very tempted to haul a set of Fonkens down to see if the SF could keep up thru the midrange.

dave

Dave,

You are the person I would most want to ask about the diffraction aspect of this. You've been using truncated pyramidal baffles on a few designs.

If I were to make an ellipse I would use Troels Gravesen's method of approximating it with a few segments. Though I would then smooth the exteriors of these angles off a bit more.

So, may I ask these perhaps redundant questions:

1. Considering this is for a very large and likely directional FR driver, is such an ellipse going to be worth the bother over a truncated byramidal baffle?

2. If the elliptical front were built, is the addition of constructing the rear half worth the extra effort?

I'm thinking in terms of externals. I don't know, were you also thinking the internal curve was significant to what you heard as well?

Jerry

So, to make the front baffle bend he had to cut long and deep on the rear of the front baffle to then glue them together in a curve. How are you going to approach cutting these? If you go on a tiny diagonal you will probably be alright but even the slightest bit left or right of straight and your cut wont fold. Its a fine design. I really love the way it looks. It looks, also, like a very very tough build.
Uriah

edit. On second thought maybe it would fold, not idealy if you goofed a cut, but probably would still work. Nevermind :) Great looking speakers.

Interesting discussion here. Can 12" light coned _coaxial_ be the ultimate solution for rock music at low listening levels? I think large cone makes whole lot better sound "wall" than little cone thought little could produce more lower frequencies.

Do you know many reasonably priced 12" coaxials which give some bass in 40 l enclosure? Hemp, Radian, Eighteen Sounds...
They are often so sensitive that lowest bass lacks. 90-92 dB/W would be enough.

I have thought is it waste of time to seek for the finest tone hifi sound if you listen to heavy metal / rock? If you lose gutsy bass slam at same time, at least with same amount of money.

Last edited:
I love the Audio Nirvana 12". One of the best speakers I have heard, but I am biased to it anyway.
I heard a speaker recently that had decent bass at low levels.
Visaton 200B with 2 3" aperiodic vents.
Uriah
I was quite impressed with your AN12 speakers Uriah :) The Visatons did surprise in the bass area, I think the room was unkind to both, and made me wish I could compare in a home setting. I think in my listening room I would still prefer your AN12.

Cheers
Ed

Argh! I erased my response.
Anyway, my dad is visiting. He is blown away by the system but I wish he could hear your tubed RIAA and Bruce' amps. SS is nice with these speakers but tubes, man, tubes have sounded so da&* good.
If you remember names of guys and equipment at the meet please email me. I know of Fred and his stuff and Bruce and his and I have your info but I am at a loss for the other equipment like what Lee brought. Email me please if you know.
Uriah

Can someone describe how full range in back loaded horn gives bass and lower mids compared to bass reflex/sealed 2-ways? Could back loaded horn, even small one, be good for rock and metal listening at quite low levels? Do they give "slam" and thawk of guitars and drums. I am not seeking for gut twisting grunt but speed and attack to bass slams.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.