Low cost ES9018 Dac - Builders Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
Good news and bad news to report. I managed to fry the TPS regs. I'm getting +22volts/-1.2volts. I connected an external lm317/lm 337 supply and am getting really nice music despite less than ideal psu. Sound is very detailed. I noticed vocals are particularly nice and this is only after playing a few tracks.

I'm new to smd soldering, but is it possible to remove the tps regs by hand without an air gun and to solder new chips without specialized tools?

Thanks. Regards.

It's may be because the PCB is false!
A connections to ground of the C22 and C23 missing!

Attachments

• gnd_error.jpg
    gnd_error.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 837
There were a bunch of Indians who got the boards first who reported successful builds and favourable SQ... You don't have a closeup photo of the board. That should reveal if the trace was there. Does it show on the photos syllable or someone else uploaded...

I believe syllable and heartwinter is the one and same...

Regards

This version of the board clearly hasn't been tested, so it's worth checking the rest very carefully. A couple of other things that perhaps are not bugs, but are less than optimal:

1. The output balanced to SE opamp doesn't have a buffering resistor on its output - it needs 47 - 100 ohm.

2. All opamps have the ground plane covering them. This will add capacitance to the inputs, possibly making high speed parts unstable, although it will probably be OK for the listed LME49720. I'm planning to use ADA4898 for I/V, so have cut away the ground plane.

I got 2 boards and one for my friend. I have not started the build but my friend did during the last weekend and just fry the 4700 too, he check all the soldering had not discovered any mistake. He left the jump open first and check the 4700 PS reg and both were outputing fine on + and - rails, he finally soldered the SOIC 4562 opamp and the neg rail is not producing the correct voltage and seems dead.

Now, how can he dismount the 4700? Can anyone share the experience ?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
2. All opamps have the ground plane covering them. This will add capacitance to the inputs, possibly making high speed parts unstable, although it will probably be OK for the listed LME49720. I'm planning to use ADA4898 for I/V, so have cut away the ground plane.

If it is "probably OK" for LME49720, then you don't need to remove the GND plane (even if you use another opamp). Better first build it according the BOM, then measure and listen before doing any mods at all.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.