Low cost ES9018 Dac - Builders Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
Good news and bad news to report. I managed to fry the TPS regs. I'm getting +22volts/-1.2volts. I connected an external lm317/lm 337 supply and am getting really nice music despite less than ideal psu. Sound is very detailed. I noticed vocals are particularly nice and this is only after playing a few tracks.

I'm new to smd soldering, but is it possible to remove the tps regs by hand without an air gun and to solder new chips without specialized tools?

Thanks. Regards.

I am very curious how it compares to Subbu V3. I would not be surprised if they sound alike.

Jean-Paul,
It seems very detailed like the Subbu imo. With just an hour of listening with a very simple psu, I was struck by the nuanced vocals. I am listening to Cassandra Wilson and can hear inflections and details I've never heard with other dacs. With my inferior psu (I hope to have better soon) the bass and other qualities are not as good. Will keep you posted of progress when broken in with upgraded psu.

I hope other builders can give you better comparisons. I hope you, GaryB, and Eldam can build this dac. Syllable is starting New GB. Can we sign you up? Kind regards.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Jean-Paul,
It seems very detailed like the Subbu imo. With just an hour of listening with a very simple psu, I was struck by the nuanced vocals. I am listening to Cassandra Wilson and can hear inflections and details I've never heard with other dacs. With my inferior psu (I hope to have better soon) the bass and other qualities are not as good. Will keep you posted of progress when broken in with upgraded psu.

I hope other builders can give you better comparisons. I hope you, GaryB, and Eldam can build this dac. Syllable is starting New GB. Can we sign you up? Kind regards.

No I did not like Syllables envious comments and the apparent lack of communication skills/support so I won't build it. Let's say I am curious it it sounds better than Subbu V3 (if at all) as it should sound better considering cost/part count. We also thought of using K2M but it sure needs a lot of surrounding electronics. Maybe that is the advantage of ES9023: no output stage necessary.

Last edited:
I am very curious how it compares to Subbu V3. I would not be surprised if they sound alike.

Jean-Paul,
Listening continues albeit with makeshift psu I had on hand when the tps regs did not cooperate. The treble is really special with this dac. already competitive with the subbu in that department. I'm going to find a better psu asap and continue listening. Have you replaced QFN package before? Im wondering if I can use the exacto blade technique with these. Sorry about the fuzzy photos.
Thanks.

Attachments

• P1030836.jpg
    P1030836.jpg
    980.9 KB · Views: 650
  • P1030837.jpg
    P1030837.jpg
    1,000.2 KB · Views: 618
  • P1030838.jpg
    P1030838.jpg
    900.5 KB · Views: 575
Last edited:
No I did not like Syllables envious comments and the apparent lack of communication skills/support so I won't build it. Let's say I am curious it it sounds better than Subbu V3 (if at all) as it should sound better considering cost/part count. We also thought of using K2M but it sure needs a lot of surrounding electronics. Maybe that is the advantage of ES9023: no output stage necessary.

I know you don't like us fans bothering you about the next big design, but let me tell you this much. IF (and i realize it's a big if) you and Subbu would ever make a Subbu & J-P DAC:K2M Edition i would sign up in a heartbeat, it's the only thing that would make me want to upgrade beyond my v2.6 at this point.

Well, that and winning the lottery and going for a MSB Diamond IV Select...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.