Legendary speakers..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.

Attachments

• eliminator2.jpg
    eliminator2.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 887
Last edited:
Aloha!
Ok I read through all 23 pages to make sure I didn't post a speaker mentioned earlier. I see multiple references to Klipschorns but no mention of other old school klipsch speakers, many of which are both lengendary and sweet sounding. I'd suggest adding Klipsch La Scalas as a good less-expensive alter alternative to klipschorns. Both use the same Type AA crossover, use the same 3 drivers, and were built by hand in Hope Arkansas. Plus they are probably some of the most efficient speakers ever made; 104 dB @ 1w! Only (major) difference between la scalas and k horns is the shape of the folded horn.

Hi -

I see this is an old thread (6 years old).

I nominate Legacy Audio's WHISPER speakers. I have heard them and they are nothing short of amazing. The best dynamic speakers I've ever heard. I'm working on my own version...

Roger Sander's electrostatic speakers (come with integrated transmission line woofers) are supposed to be very good but I have not had the good fortune to hear them yet...

regret ...

EV Model Four

Pushed a pair of them with a HH Scott 99D. Many years ago. A sound I will never forget. And strive to reproduce to this day.

Absolutely, they are keepers

My wife made me sell my "ugly" EV model 16B's.
Worst mistake so far.
3-way sealed, all cone drivers, but what a sweet sound!

Doug

But I suppose if I'd kept them I'd have never started DIY speaker building ... :)

Last edited:

Originally Posted by davidlzimmer View Post
EV Model Four

Pushed a pair of them with a HH Scott 99D. Many years ago. A sound I will never forget. And strive to reproduce to this day.

Absolutely, they are keepers

I picked up a pair of EV Model Four's at a hamfest about 6 years ago. One tweeter horn driver is open circuit in one and the mid is open in the other. Nevertheless I was very impressed with what I heard when I gave them a test in the living room. I determined that they were "keepers" and hope someday to find suitable driver replacements and time to restore them to their original glory.

Can I chip in with a pair of speakers I have loved since the eighties, Celestion Ditton SL662 s, I have them currently paired up with the Rotel RA1412 I bought them with, the amp lives again thanks to a new and very clever friend.
I have a lot of listening to do to figure out whether the RA1412 is as good as or better than the RB971s and RC972 I bought when the old amp died.
Looking forward to some research!

Walsh Driver Ohm speakers

I heard a lot about these a long time ago. Someone just gave me a pair of them that they inherited from a relative.

I can't say that they sound absolutely fantastic, but they are not all that bad either for a 20 year-old speaker.

My $200 homebuilt GR-Research speakers mostly sound better. For one thing, they have more solid, braced MDF boxes, and probably don't suffer from all the weird cancellations from the omni-directional cone in the Ohm walsh driver. The Ohm's sound a bit boxy sometimes, too, probably because of the large cabinets, which are just particle board, not MDF.

But the Ohms have their moments. Probably when some sound happens to be in one of the many peaks in the response, not so much other times for one of the dips.

But I can probably sell the Ohm's for several times what I can get for my homebuilt speaker.

Great thread, but as Cal suggested many pages ago (post #105) I think we've veered off "legendary" to include "popular", "excellent", and even "favorite" speakers.

Like it or not, I think the most legendary speaker of all time is the Bose 901. Perhaps followed by their predator, the JBL 100. We sold many more Large Advents, of course, because of the price point, but many of those were sold based on another legend - the AR3a. It was such a wonderful story, how Henry left the company and developed something better... pity his true intention was to make as much money as possible to fund the development of that damn TV. ;)

A legend is a story of a great man, widely known, that is (according to Tangherlini) "a reaffirmation of commonly held values of the group to whose tradition it belongs". So yes, Voice of the Theaters are legendary, as are Klipschorns. Quads are legends, simply because so many reviewers compared various tweeters to their highs. The LS3/5a is a legend, Small Advents and EPI 100s are merely popular. I'd go along with the suggestions that Paragons, Maggies, and Wilson WATT/Puppies are legends.

The above, of course, needs to taken with a large dose of 'IMHO', and it's slanted by the fact I sold a lot of gear to members of the BAS in the early '70s. ;)

I think the more interesting question would be "what legendary speakers don't deserve their legendary status", and conversly, "what lesser known speakers deserve to be legendary"?

For the second group I would recommend all of the Castle UK speakers. A good long run of highly evolved and well balanced systems, but a pretty unknown brand.

David S

Great thread, but as Cal suggested many pages ago (post #105) I think we've veered off "legendary" to include "popular", "excellent", and even "favorite" speakers.

Like it or not, I think the most legendary speaker of all time is the Bose 901. Perhaps followed by their predator, the JBL 100.

In Europe (well Germany at least) at that time it was between the 901s and Wharfedale E90s. My maths teacher had 901s while my sisters BF had E90s.
I very much preferred the Wharfedales.
US-made products were priced out of the market by an exchange rate which did not reflect reality at all, the US $ rate was around DM3.50 to one dollar when the goods you could buy for a dollar were only worth about DM1.80.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.