Legendary speakers..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Westerp said:
My legends:

Been listening to them for around 35 years now and every time I try
other speakers I get bored and revert to the dynaco's

Just bought a couple of Audiolab (Dutch high-end from the 70's)
speakers and after listening one hour the dynaco's smiled at
me when I reconnected them.

Only thing is I have no clue about the model. There is just a serial
on the back and that't it. I have multiple dynaco brochures and
even some dynaco amp manuals but this model is not listed.

Maybe someone here knows the model and history?
My mother told me only yesterday that they where around Fl 800 each
back then which translates to around $ 460 nowadays

Seems these could be rare ! They are not apparent on this Dynaco tribute site , but I would suggest you contact him about them , http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/components/speakers/index.html

EV Model Four

A few years ago I picked up a nice pair of EV Model Four's at a Ontario Hamfest. The cabinet is SOLID. has a 12" woofer, 4" cone mid and large tweeter horn. I gave them a listen on a 20 watt/ch tube amp when I got them home and was immediately very impressed. I decided these would stay and if I was ever in a position that I had to part with my own designed Ultors in a smaller room, that I could live with these. That is very high praise for a small box (~2 cu.ft.).

technics sb-e100-xg really quite special attack, more than makes up for having to sit on the floor to listen at the right level.

the fact they are technics makes it all the more enjoyable, telling 'audio nuts' who simply buy whatever is expensive that you have

-phillips CD 960
-sharp SX 100 amp
-technics sb e100 xg speakers

enjoy their smirking 'well i suppose that really is not hifi', knowing your system would knock the socks off theirs!

miksin
RCA LC1A.

IMHO, that should qualify as a legend. Sightings, anyone?

My office. They're a bit weak at the top and bottom, but I have never heard a better speaker for voices. Seamless across the vocal range. Strangers in the room. I drive them with an old EL-84 grundig amp, from an old console.

Have been wanting to attempt to add a sub and a ribbon. Not sure I could get them to integrate well, though.

Not only reviving a dead thread, but replying to a year old post. (Ok. I admit it, I am very bored.)

Wilson Watt Puppy and Geddes' Summa have not been mentioned. The latter is not legendary yet, but it certainly has caused quite a stir as of late. Maybe as revolutionary as the Klipschorn or A7? Time will tell as its progeny rear their heads.

Dan

Having heard Patrick Bateman's Summas, I have to say that they're quite good. They're one of the better speakers I've heard and that goes up the food chain quite a ways. Watt Puppies are truely legendary, but I've never heard a pair that I personally liked and I've heard a number of diy speakers that to me sounded better.

Now that you've mentioned Altec A7s, has anyone mentioned John Tucker's eXemplar speakers? Those are also excellent, and are an improvement on the Altecs.

Best Regards,
TerryO

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.