Legendary speakers..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I can't help but think this thread is about your 'favourite' speaker, rather than 'legendary.'

Legendary doesn't mean you like it or that it is spectacular in some way, legendary means that everyone knows it, many have an opinion, and chances are a whole bunch of them were sold.

Legendary could also mean that no-one has heard or seen them but many know the stories - most legends are like that.

Wow ! just read the whole thread and saw Tannoy's original Mercury model mentioned but not a single listing for their polar opposites at the time , the Heybrook HB 1 .
Back in the day these were two of the main contenders for budding audiophiles , i had both but the Heybrooks , for my tastes , were more exciting especially when hooked up to the classic Nad 3020 amp.

Full size Klipschorn with Altec Lansing VOTT drivers. Fine if you have the room!

You can build your own if you are good at compound cuts on the table saw. (This cabinet actually an exact copy of Electro Voice Georgean).

Rattles the windows at about 20 Watts!

Attachments

• ALTEC K HORN.jpg
    ALTEC K HORN.jpg
    888.7 KB · Views: 191
How about the Lowther Acousta:

Acousta

Something of a cult speaker, available in more or less the same version since the late '50s. I heard a pair of Super Acoustas in the mid-'70s - these had a pair of side-by-side mounted PM6's in place of the usual single. Very loud and "alive", but somewhat coloured and poor bass.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.