Legendary speakers..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What defines or makes a Legend? In my opinion is a Legend something that set new standards, use new and never seen before technologys, uses extremly well working marketing strategies like one of the very often named ,,Legend" in this thread or all of that together!
Surely one part of that legend building is also the personal taste and philosophie of the poeple that tell about these Legends!
And I do also have me personal Legends!

Mr. Klipsch`s wonderfull Horn for example, the OhmF with its legendary Walshdriver for the mid and high. The old Quads, a Infinity Servostatic 1A, the Infinity Reference Standard, Dave Wilson`s WAMM, Mark Levinson`s HQD, the 43xx series of JBL, John Dunavys Souvereign, the old Onkyo ScepterSpeakers like the
Grand Scepter in a post before or the Scepter500 and so many more!

But my absolute Highlights are the old Apogee Fullrange, that I owned myself and truly regret that i have to sell one sad day and then the incredible Acapella AudioArts Sphäron that I have heard very, very often!

Attachments

• Sphäron.jpg
    Sphäron.jpg
    442.7 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:
Haven't heard these for ages, but the Totem Mani-2s were awesome.
Ditto for the M&K S1C/Push pull sub satellite combo my boss had.
All these years later, I made a set with the same NOS midwoofers, in a lossy "cabinet" and some small AMT tweeters.

With dual 10" subs in u frames, they're about as good as remembered.
Pretty sure they sound better than I can hear, after 30 odd years of power tools and banging scaffold.

You know, it's odd. I had the M&K S-1B's. They had the same dual tweeter/dual mid-woofer arrangement but were not push/pull and they were so very bland. No matter how I tried to arrange them they never quite did anything for me except fetch a good price on e-bay. Very good measurements though. Used a B&K frequency/pen based FR plotter.

Best,

Erik

So, of legendary speakers I've actually heard it would be the large Snell A/III and Martin Logan single-panel electrostat's whose name now eludes me and how about the Polk SDA line with the acoustic-cancelling cross-feed tweeters and mids?

431464-vintage_polk_sda_srs_23_speakers.jpg

Of legendary speakers I have never seen, much less heard I would include any Apogee, the AR MGC-1

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

And of course the Yamaha NS-1000 with Beryllium tweeter AND midrange.

yamaha_ns-1000_loudspeakers.jpg

I can't help but think this thread is about your 'favourite' speaker, rather than 'legendary.'

Legendary doesn't mean you like it or that it is spectacular in some way, legendary means that everyone knows it, many have an opinion, and chances are a whole bunch of them were sold.

What about the various iterations of "The Uber-Legendary Weldon Super-Speaker"? Everyone around here has heard, seen or thought about the incredible sound of those!
:rolleyes:

I can't help but think this thread is about your 'favourite' speaker, rather than 'legendary.'

Legendary doesn't mean you like it or that it is spectacular in some way, legendary means that everyone knows it, many have an opinion, and chances are a whole bunch of them were sold.

Agreed.

Let me present to you my friends, a truly legendary speaker. A legend... with no name.

Attachments

• Legendary Speaker.jpg
    Legendary Speaker.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 211
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.