• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Lateral Mosfet Amplifers 250W - 2000W RMS Power Amplifier modules

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These SMD's are done by hand (not by me) on a similar amp PCB and is how a good job should look.

Attachments

• ah_smd_3.jpg
    ah_smd_3.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 466
SpeakerScott said:

Originally posted by Class-D Design

Would,nt it be much easier to send you some samples you can then assess yourself

Just give us an address

Wow, I wasn't expecting that. I'll send a private message. You do realize I'm in the U.S.A. right?

Scott

So after our exchange way back when regarding efficiency and heat dissipation (which is not rocket science...just thermodynamics...;) ) Class-d made this offer.

I knew the samples would probably not show up...which they haven't...but hearing that other folks haven't gotten their samples, and seeing the solder quality...I'm going to officially cross them off my list of potential sources of supply for anything.

Scott

richie00boy said:

Considering the boards are hand assembled and soldered I they they are pretty good really. Have you tried doing SMD by hand?

there's nothing wrong with the SMD soldering on the boards, the solder is very neat, the components aren't perfectly placed, but it still meets the standards perfectly :) and yes, I personally have soldered SMD by hand, often using two irons to place components onto pads that already have solder on them. Or soldering one component onto another... I'll get some pics later..

udailey said:
You use a drop of glue, place the nice little resistor on it and wait. Then you solder it. Looks much better.

glue... lol

standard superglue won't even withstand the temperature when you solder it, it will just make the job even harder and messier!!!

rabbitz said:
These SMD's are done by hand (not by me) on a similar amp PCB and is how a good job should look.

sorry, but that soldering isn't really very neat. perhaps its just a bad pic... but it doesn't look that great.

looking at the pics again, it isn't a good job, and the "class d" amplifier is much better surface mount soldering.

sure, both will work, but the pic you posted isn't what a good job should look like at all.

ThyDntWntMusic said:
sorry, but that soldering isn't really very neat. perhaps its just a bad pic... but it doesn't look that great.

looking at the pics again, it isn't a good job, and the "class d" amplifier is much better surface mount soldering.

sure, both will work, but the pic you posted isn't what a good job should look like at all.

I beg to differ but I'm not going to get into an arguement over it.

Prompted by an email from jkeny (reply currently stalled in Outlook jk) I phoned Class-D today and my free module should now be on the way, along with another one to make a pair, which I have purchased. My good friend The Guitarist has now got his pair running and has been unable to resist upgrading the onboard caps. The sound is good, but so far the amps have only been run below 300Hz in an active system. No problems with spurious noise or any other issues in use so far.
Communication certainly has been poor- Two emails I sent went unanswered- but Class-D do appear to be getting themselves sorted out with these modules. I'll report back when I get mine and on any subsequent experiments with them.

Aha, now we're getting past the visuals and onto the sound (I thought that's what this forum was about?). Great to hear that you & The Guitarist got the modules - keep us updated as you progress in your listening.

I'm perhaps biased as I live in this part of the world but I was delighted to see a local company offering a very reasonably priced range of amplifier modules. You know in this neck of the woods, we consumers are used to being gouged financially by companies pricing of their products particularly in the audio arena. I felt & still feel that this company should be given a fair hearing and their products evaluated - not their confusing name or their soldering skills or whatever. It's the sound of their amps & the lateral mosfets that they offer which I'm interested in.

I know I sound like their PR function but I just felt that there has been a predisposition of negativity toward them (admittedly their communication problems has not helped)

I had a similar communication problem with Guido Tent, whom I had paid for a clock module & delivery was extremely slow (i.e no delivery - so I canceled order) with no answer to my emails. When I posted my experience here there were lots of defenders of his business suggesting that I give him lee-way, etc, etc. The antithesis of this thread.

Anyway, lets get on with the reviewing of theses modules, who knows they might turn out to be complete rubbish & not worth the postage costs?

I should perhaps point out that The Guitarist doesn't post on this forum and that he paid for his modules, only receiving them after quite a bit of chasing up Class-D. He's happy with the sound and built them into a pair of dead Moth 100w monoblocs, using the Moths' PSUs without trouble.

I thought that you would understand my sentiments, Richboy :) , coming fron the UK - you think you're prices for audio are high? When equipment gets to Ireland it has gone through another currency conversion, a number of middlemen and of course the shipping costs for such a long distance( hehe!) are enormous.

Over here, you know we're seeing the beginnings of the fall-out from the greed that is endemic in our society & I'm not just talking about the credit crunch - expect to see more revelations of corruption in high places being exposed soon!!!

I think Bob Geldof stated it well once "Banana Republic, Septic Isle"

For those of you that are interested and have made comment about the NX200 and NX400 amplifier boards, these are from the latest batch ready to have the FETs installed.

Feel free to post comments on quality and / or recommendations. :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

rabbitz said:

I'm surprised we still have electronics assembly in Australia.

there are quite a few places.

some places do large volume of fairly low quality items.

while the place I do does lower volume, smallish runs, for multiple companies that require quality!

medical, military, some test equipment, but nothing in the way of consumer electronics.

we've just started lead free, which really isn't going as well as we might have hoped :xeye:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.