Krill - The little amp that might...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Fanatic alike all of us.... the man has no transistors

He cannot use them or will ruin the collection!

You see the faulting one!.... he migth had lost some nigths sad because the collection is not complete.

ahahaha.... has not transistors!

Carlos

Attachments

• box of xsistors.jpg
    box of xsistors.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1,498
I wish i could have one Mill machine alike this one

My amplifiers panels would be back ligthed using non transparent glass.... would have inscriptions alike the Pharaohs..... would be very beautifull art fine piece.

Congratulations.... digital control, numeric programming...sequencial operation pré programed...great!

regards,

Carlos

Attachments

• mill.jpg
    mill.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,462
Joined 2006
Paid Member
Re: Oh!.... nice transistors!.... Thomas has not captured some

destroyer X said:

to me...ahahahahaha.

I think Steve show them to Thomas very fast and removed from his sigth to avoid to be Hipnotized.

regards,

Carlos

While I was busy picking my jaw up off of the floor :hypno1: and wiping the drool :drool: away Steve twirled his magic wand :wiz: and - presto - they disappeared back to the stock shelf! :bawling:

Joined 2006
Paid Member
troystg said:
It looks as though Steve already HAS PCB's for his amp..

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1685764&stamp=1229341482

Would you be interested in a GB of those? Obviously they are already tested and working.

Hi Troystg - those boards are for Steve's old monoblock amplifiers. I forget the output - but I think he said that they are 100 watts @ 8 ohm. Still - pretty small unit so you might be able to fit two into a case for 2 channel operation. Let's see what he has to say about doing such a thing as using the old mono boards. I think his intention here is to share his design and create a new two channel amp that is suitable for construction by the average DIY'er that would not cost a fortune to build. Either way - if there is enough interest in getting some group buys done I'm Steve would be open to ideas and suggestions.

:cheers:

Attachments

• dunlap monoblock inside shot small.jpg
    dunlap monoblock inside shot small.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,340
I'm back. I took yesterday off to spend time with my wife on our 36th wedding anniversary.

I have looked through the new posts and will answer questions and make some comments on the pictures.

OFF TOPIC:

You will see that Tom got me to stand next to an amp for one picture. I have been learning to walk again (short distances) and stand for short periods. I don't fall as much any more and with the addition of a very high dose regimen of steroids I feel stronger and have much better pain control, even without the narcotics. This makes me steadier on my feet and I have even attempted stairs again. I always believed I would walk again and it is nice to do so. I still don't have use of me hands, but I haven't given up. It has only been 15 months. The steroids seem to be helping with the hands also but I have only been at this dosage for 2 weeks. It will take time.

As Carlos noted, I do appear somewhat red in the picture. This is a result on the steroids. I can live with any color I turn if I can regain use of my hands.

I am in better spirits now than at any time in the past year. Most of this change has been in the last month and I attribute much of my improvement to finding this forum and having people like you to converse with. I'm starting to feel human again. Thank you all for your interest in my amp project as well as the well wishes I have received.

Steve

"I am in better spirits now than at any time in the past year. Most of this change has been in the last month and I attribute much of my improvement to finding this forum and having people like you to converse with. I'm starting to feel human again. Thank you all for your interest in my amp project as well as the well wishes I have received.

Steve"

I for one am VERY happy you feel better and that you graced us with your presence. If there is anything I can do to help...

I also thank Carlos for making all of this possible.

EDIT:

Oh yeah, and HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!! :D

Steve Dunlap said:
OFF TOPIC:

You will see that Tom got me to stand next to an amp for one picture. I have been learning to walk again (short distances) and stand for short periods. I don't fall as much any more and with the addition of a very high dose regimen of steroids I feel stronger and have much better pain control, even without the narcotics. This makes me steadier on my feet and I have even attempted stairs again. I always believed I would walk again and it is nice to do so. I still don't have use of me hands, but I haven't given up. It has only been 15 months. The steroids seem to be helping with the hands also but I have only been at this dosage for 2 weeks. It will take time.

Good to hear you are getting better :)

I posted a simulation of transconductance a while back, could you have a look at it? Now, with real parts the problem will probably not show up on many amplifiers as it needs pretty good matching between PNP:s and NPN:s. If there is enough mismatch (and there will probably often be) the deadband will be outside the normal output currents the amplifier is asked to deliver.

Do you use feedback around the whole amp or is it always just around the front end?

So, Alex & Troystg, thanks for offering the pcb but maybe we should all wait for what Steve says.

One suggestion - I would be interested in an output stage only pcb as I would run this from a tube front end.

I have no problem with anyone making boards for their own use. I do not feel it would be fair to produce the boards in quantity for sale. Perhaps that is selfish of me, but after the years of work and tens of thousands of dollars I have invested in trying to get this amp to market in an affordable package, I would not feel right seeing someone else profit from my sharing this information here. If it hadn't been for the cancer and the spinal damage afterwords I might have made a go of it. I didn't and that's life.

I will do an output stage only PCB layout for you. But please be patient. I work slowly these days.

Steve

Carlos:

Tom will be sending you boards as used in the amp in post 119. I also sent matched outputs to stuff two channels as well as the diode boards to mount on the heat sink.

I will have to find the documentation for those boards as they were done over 10 years ago and will certainly not match the schematic I posted. They ARE ALMOST the same except for two pair of output transistors as these were 100W at 8 ohm, 200W at 4 and 300W at 2ohm. The only problem will be the silk screen part numbers will not match the last posted schematic. This should not be a problem as the documentation for these old boards is here somewhere and I will send it to you when I find it.

Steve

The picture in post 120 is one of the heat sinks used on the 100W amp. I mounted power resistors and a thermocouple so I could accurately evaluate temp rise verses power into the sink. No point putting more heat sink than you need.

With this heat sink the 100W amp could deliver 100W at 1KHz sine wave for one hour and reach a temperature (measured at a point opposite an output where I had drilled a hole to insert a probe against the transistor) of 123 deg. F or 37C.

troystg said:
It looks as though Steve already HAS PCB's for his amp..

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=1685764&stamp=1229341482

Would you be interested in a GB of those? Obviously they are already tested and working.

Yes those are the boards I just described to Carlos. If I recall correctly these are at least 2oz copper or perhaps 4oz. Not sure. They are double sided, plate through holes, solder mask both sides and silk screened. While Tom was here yesterday we uncovered a box of 100 boards I had forgotten I had. I guess they are for sale If I can figure out what they cost me. I have no great desire to LOSE money.

These boards are left over from a production run by an independent contractor so the documentation has to be somewhere. These were built 10 years ago I have had only one failure (other than bolwn AC fuse) in the 50 that were built for me. That one was dead out of the box from the manufacturer.

I feel they are tested and proven.

"I have no problem with anyone making boards for their own use. I do not feel it would be fair to produce the boards in quantity for sale."

Mr. Dunlap-

My ONLY goal here is to make what ever design you decide to share with this community available to to this community. It is done as volunteer work in good intentions. I have no desire nor need to profit from someone else's work.

If you have any doubts please review the GB I did for the Krell KSA-50 clone thread. I ran a GB for PCB's and parts.

I enjoy building things when I have time / chance but unfortunately I am not an Engineer able to create them. So I do my best to enable myself and others to be able to build what the true talent (too many to list, and I would be afraid to leave someone out) on this forum offer to us.

"IF" I were to do a GB it would be WITH your permission and blessing, on a PCB that the GROUP decided was ready and it would be AT COST. I would suggest a donation to DIY Audio and to you for sharing the design but again that would be at the group and your discretion.

"While Tom was here yesterday we uncovered a box of 100 boards I had forgotten I had. I guess they are for sale If I can figure out what they cost me. I have no great desire to LOSE money."

Don't lose money! Sell them at cost + a little.

My offer again would be to help get them to the fellow DIYers. Since you are restricted in movement, I would be happy to mail them out for you.. Everyone can paypal you directly..

For me to get a set and and a chance to build a new different type of amplifier might be worth cost + a little.. And I will do the work to help make it happen.

I almost forgot. As Tom mentioned in one of his posts I also have a few hundred transformers that are perfect for 50W amps (one per channel would be better) or a 50W integrated amp. These would also make killer PS for preamp!

The transformers are 120V 50/60Hz primary with dual 24V/4A secondaries. That gives 196VA at 50Hz and approximately 220VA at 60Hz. I need to look up my cost on them also if there is interest. The single 120V primary will not work many places outside the US. Keep that in mind if considering one.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.