Kharma, Raidho, Magico

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Too much of anything kills the sound , not too much , not too little.:)

From past experience with cabasse, accuton, you will need Notchville city to tone out coloration and then , yes , of course no life, but ohh so smooooth ...

Hard cones on bass ? yes , thats about it for me .....

Too much of anything kills the sound , not too much , not too little.:)

Hard cones on bass ? yes , thats about it for me .....

You know it's an assumption. The only thing to pay attention on steep slope is the phase behavior.

Distortion at low frequency is not as severe as at high (I'm not talking about amplitude but fatigue or perceived quality). I have a success with aluminum, but I think Peerless makes good bass.

Yes , agree, thats is an assumption , paying attn to 4th order phase slope, must be the best way to correct all that signal induced rotation ..:)

I'm using currently, alloy cone for bass, I no likey , it's character changes due to temp, it's annoying, ok you can work and make things acceptable , IMO, that is not the way, water runs best downstream ... :)

So not a fan of aluminium drivers for bass , paper composites or straight composites for bass thank you.

:snail:

Last edited:
At least I don't believe in second or third order slopes, I don't believe in speakers without notch filters.

Yes, people will argue that notch filters kill the sonic. Of course. I have been there. That's why you need good ears.

Yah I believe that to be true, so that means gonna have holes lasered through the cone then weight them killing two birds with one stone. I can kill ringing and pending on how much weight and/or what material can improve/change tone quality

Last edited:
Jay has some very valid points.

This is gone sound awfully subjective. I think a good loudspeaker tricks your brain into believing you hear the real thing. All Accuton does with my brain is setting off alarm bells. I have heard: Marten Design, Avalon, Kharma, Ayonaudio and some others. I think most would agree these are representative of good Accuton implementation. I do not mean to offend Accuton lovers. It's really not my cup of tea. Another parable might be this. Cinema has gone digital. Analog film had grain and noise. Since all (from camera to projection) digital is posible i have seen some movies with all the grain and noise removed, my brain keeps screaming not real, fake. Makes it very hard for me to be immersed in the movie. For those interested the 48 frames a second polemic is interesting. Scientifically and objective 48 frames per second is the best there is. Somehow it makes people nauseous...makes you wonder.

Lets agree it's a taste thing and don't start a flame about each others hearing capabilities. We all have a different set of ears and software to process sound.

Jay could be right about x-over orders.

Last edited:
It's audio, concensus is rare ... :)

The reason for such high slopes is the out of bandwidth coloration on those type of drivers. The additional high slopes kills dynamics , you end up with at best a very polite sounding speaker. You need dynamics to sound live , its why people like horns with their coloration and fullrange drivers , with their bandlimit coloration.

If the drivers have poor voicing sans xover , i walk , it tells me the xover will require too much to make them work and yes too simple has its issues too, it depends on what you favor , polite over dynamic ...

I try to balance both ...

The additional high slopes kills dynamics , you end up with at best a very polite sounding speaker. You need dynamics to sound live , its why people like horns with their coloration and fullrange drivers , with their bandlimit coloration.

Cooorrreeecctt..... That is where steep slope has gone wrong. Actually, when a sound is dull, it is a sign of mistake, but a common one, because the real sound is bright, but not offending like full range speaker.

I have compared side by side with expensive full range, amazingly you cannot hear the crossover one, which is very complex. That's the first time I believe in steep slope. It started with my finding in my documentation of many crossovers that the best sound has specific phase behavior. So I set a standard in phase behavior and went with complex crossover. Yes, it is difficult to achieve this phase standard. But no, I'm not going to discuss technicality here.

You have my full attention. I would not mind hearing more about this.

Unfortunately I'm not ready to discuss about this. Basically to pay attention to minimum phase overlap. Plus minus 2deg down to 300-400hz for most room. The use of multiple coils to shape the midwoofer roll off, which is my own idea. That's all, no more details.

Add: of course, common wisdom that I follow is matching directivity (when choosing fx). Off axis performance is important, so is smooth response above 20kHz

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm not ready to discuss about this. Basically to pay attention to minimum phase overlap. Plus minus 2deg down to 300-400hz for most room. The use of multiple coils to shape the midwoofer roll off, which is my own idea. That's all, no more details.

Add: of course, common wisdom that I follow is matching directivity (when choosing fx). Off axis performance is important, so is smooth response above 20kHz

Those are not new ideas Jay , sorry to disappoint , just think about all those coils and caps before a driver and what it does to the signal in the time domain, notch filters kill dynamics too, one want to use as minimum as possible , with careful selection of drive units for each specific bandwidth less is required, this is what is critical imo, selecting the right driver after voicing ...

Those are not new ideas Jay , sorry to disappoint , ...

yes there are too many old ideas. But you don't know which one that works. But I have my own ideas, sorry to disappoint, but no speakers have crossover structure like mine (that's why I won't show it).

Tell me the relationship between the 300-400Hz with room if you think it is common sense. The only difference is I can relate numbers with Perceived sound because I have good ears. If you can't hear it, you never know.

Funny thing was the owner was talking about new line of
speakers using different kind of cone material saying
now is everything much better than before when he was
using poly cones. Off course, back then he did not find
anything wrong with them. God almighty!

yes there are too many old ideas. But you don't know which one that works. But I have my own ideas, sorry to disappoint, but no speakers have crossover structure like mine (that's why I won't show it).

Tell me the relationship between the 300-400Hz with room if you think it is common sense. The only difference is I can relate numbers with Perceived sound because I have good ears. If you can't hear it, you never know.

Must be lonely being the only one who can relate numbers with perceived sound
:rolleyes:

Don't be so naive Jay .... :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.