Kharma, Raidho, Magico

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have heard both the DDD and the plasma tweeter on several occasions. But i am sort of the ignore list i believe. -edit- that's a bit harsh... Anyway, the plasma tweeter is impossible to integrate with drivers availabe to use mortals. Needs a plasma mid and woofer, and in the end you will end up in the hospital like Nelson Pass of Ozone poisoning.

Last edited:
Eh there's a big difference in WANTING to spend big money and HAVING TO spend more money to achieve performance. Trust me if there was a 1500$ "super speaker", I would be the first in line ;), but at the same time don't forget the truest equation u will ever hear in high end audio: performance=2price

You are going about this wrong, you dont need expensive drivers , I had mentioned it before and Lynn , recently layed out a solid plan for you to follow. Buying those drivers dont mean you are going to get hi-end performance...

This could get me a warning or ban. But the topic starter keeps pilling up unique selling points of highly reviewed speakers. Unique selling points like exotic materials don't make excellent speakers. A very earthy aproach of physical dimensions does. Like directivity, hard cone behaviour and it's problems, x-max and needed spl. etc, etc.

Last edited:
I have heard both the DDD and the plasma tweeter on several occasions. But i am sort of the ignore list i believe. -edit- that's a bit harsh... Anyway, the plasma tweeter is impossible to integrate with drivers availabe to use mortals. Needs a plasma mid and woofer, and in the end you will end up in the hospital like Nelson Pass of Ozone poisoning.

Then why'd u bring it up!?! And the makers of the tweeter use it with horns, and it wouldn't be on the market if it wasn't safe right? No, u r not on the ignore list:rolleyes:

This could get me a warning or ban. But the topic starter keeps pilling up unique selling points of highly reviewed speakers. Unique selling points like exotic materials don't make excellent speakers. A very earthy aproach of physical dimensions does. Like directivity, hard cone behaviour and it's problems, x-max and needed spl. etc, etc.

No I hope u don't get banned, I'm just looking for the best aspects of each and trying to mix the strengths of each and minimize the weaknesses

Buying those drivers dont mean you are going to get hi-end performance...

But if you know how to make a good crossover and you want that holographic sound then you'll need hard coned drivers.
Here's a nice writeup of what those Accutons can do, read the part 1/3 down "The Sound"
In fact the two Accutons Troels used could make a nice two-way, his crossover and cabinet shape could be used as a rough guideline.

Last edited:
But if you know how to make a good crossover and you want that holographic sound then you'll need hard coned drivers.
Here's a nice writeup of what those Accutons can do, read the part 1/3 down "The Sound"
In fact the two Accutons Troels used could make a nice two-way, his crossover and cabinet shape could be used as a rough guideline.

You dont need hard drivers to get holographic sound , baffle , xover design and correct driver alignment is whats important for retrieving recording details and imaging , accurate recreation of time and space has nothing to do with cone type.

a.wayne. Agreed nice write up of Troels about the Accuton's. A must read when you are planning to use these drivers. Call me an infidel, i don't care at all about the accutons. Cold toneless drivers. And no i don't like coloration. But imho something is seriously wrong with the presentation of the accuton's. It's like seeing the world in high resolution and completly missing the point about what seeing is really about. Ok, ok, this is vague...I never got the memo about the need for ultraresolution in speakers beeing the absolute truth.

Last edited:
Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Cold toneless drivers

sounds like you have heard poor implementations
but I also suspect most are

they are indeed exstremely 'dry' drivers, yes

but the big tweeters reproduce the body of a cymbal in way that will be very hard to beat

though admit you may be about half way right, and I will probably not go that way again either ... no
but have to say, I am often tempted to try it again :clown:

I think I have clearly mentioned about two qualities needed. First the designer to get the most out of the drivers, second the driver itself should have the highest potential. Hard cones do have potentials, but if the first requirement is not fulfilled, what you will get is the garbage, I mean it. I don't even believe TG can do it.

The only reason I love hard cones is because I have good ears. You need to know the relationship before assuming anything about my statement.

It's all about personal preference, I really like the sound that the Accutons can give.
In my speakers I definitely wouldn't call them "cold toneless drivers", it makes a big difference how they are used and the speaker is voiced.
"cold toneless" is more a description of the implementation than the driver itself.
The sound from my RefSpeakers is less aggressive (softer) than from my Focals 1027s, although both have rather the same voicing (frequency response).
With the RefSpeakers I get that holographic soundfield, with the Focals not.

I also have some other speakers with paper, poly and alu cones, of those the alu Visaton AL130 are also able to give a holographic soundfield.

Last edited:
I think I have clearly mentioned about two qualities needed. First the designer to get the most out of the drivers, second the driver itself should have the highest potential. Hard cones do have potentials, but if the first requirement is not fulfilled, what you will get is the garbage, I mean it. I don't even believe TG can do it.

The only reason I love hard cones is because I have good ears. You need to know the relationship before assuming anything about my statement.

So if bad ears , hard cones are not to be used ... :)

It's all about personal preference, I really like the sound that the Accutons can give.
In my speakers I definitely wouldn't call them "cold toneless drivers", it makes a big difference how they are used and the speaker is voiced.
"cold toneless" is more a description of the implementation than the driver itself.
The sound from my RefSpeakers is less aggressive (softer) than from my Focals 1027s, although both have rather the same voicing (frequency response).
With the RefSpeakers I get that holographic soundfield, with the Focals not.

Lower resolution will sound softer , high resolution speakers are very sensitive to whats in front of it and can sound hard and aggresive, because of such. Be careful here , best to use 1 preferable 2 different pr of good cans when listening and comparing for resolution ..

Lower resolution will sound softer , high resolution speakers are very sensitive to whats in front of it and can sound hard and aggresive, because of such. Be careful here , best to use 1 preferable 2 different pr of good cans when listening and comparing for resolution ..

No, my RefSpeakers sound less aggressive compared to my Focals, but the resolution of my RefSpeakers is much higher.
So what's left ? Better THD ?

So if bad ears , hard cones are not to be used ... :)

May be so. After all, I don't believe you can be a good speaker designer if you don't have good ears. Speaker design requires voicing skill that is more or less not required in amp design.

Speaker design is about compromise. The worst compromise I have ever taken is to avoid complexity, because of incapability. Who can prove that complex crossover sounds worse than simple one? People avoid complex xo because of incapability not a believe that simpler sound better!

With hard cones, there's no other way but you have to take the complex route!

Now, with complex crossover, do you think even with paper cone you don't need good ears?

Now I always find complex crossover is better than simple, even with paper cones. It has been my standard.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.