Kharma, Raidho, Magico

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
These four speakers are easily, in my opinion, the best in stand-mounted(well the Kharmas aren't) two way mini monitor I've have yet to hear...
1. Raidho D1
2. Magician mini II
3. Khama mini exquisite
4. Evolution acoustics mmmico1
I would like to combine the best elements of these in an attempt at a cost no object DIY mini monitor, assuming I have some time this summer.

Sorry to destroy any illusions, but most of the sound of a given loudspeaker system is created by the designer, not the drivers or enclosure. There are a lot of variables in designing a multiway system, and it's up to the designer to pick and choose what they want to emphasize and de-emphasize. Here are just a few:

* Is constant-directivity important? If so, in what frequency range?
* Is linear-phase response important, or is an allpass phase response acceptable?
* Select (or design) rigid drivers made from high-tech materials, or choose drivers that are optimized for self-damping? (This affects the type of crossover required.)
* How far do you go to reduce diffraction? (To reduce it as far as possible, the enclosure will approach a large-radius sphere, particularly the part of the enclosure that is closest to the drivers.)
* What measures are taken to reduce standing waves in the enclosure?
* What measures are taken to reduce cabinet-wall resonance?

These are just a few of the choices that face a loudspeaker designer, and well-known designers are not in agreement what the best choices are. The disagreements between designers are a big part of the reason that loudspeakers sound different from each other.

This could be interesting ATD driver and Visaton ceramic tweeter in a Transmissionline.

hypergraph_tl.jpg

Strassacker: Speaker Building, Components
Could be inhouse modified to a ported design.

2 way TL, sounds like Fail to me ........ :drink:

I'm very satisfied with the performance of the Accutons in my speaker.
They match very good with the Raal, together they throw a large holographic sound.
It's more than a year since they're finished and I still listen a lot to them, that's a good sign :)

For a two way I would probably use an Accuton 7" bass-mid together with Raal 70-20XR (if you can find it) or one of the ScanSpeak beryllium tweeters.
Another nice 2-way is the XTZ divine 100.33, Accuton bass-mid + Visaton ceramic tweeter.

Yah EA uses a Raal tweeter because of how well they again match spectral decay very well may use a modified version of one of their tweeters, another curiosity what about this tweeters by sb acoustics SB Acoustics SB26STAC-C000-4

Well since I happen to live in the Bay Area, why not take a ride over to 932 Parker St, Berkeley, CA to the Magico factory and listen to the best...see what I can learn.

Lucky duck... Anyway in terms of a cabinet was reading a review of MLB 101 X treme in TAS and I though about a phrase I've heard many times, the best baffle is no baffle. Thoughts?

Baffle was never and never will be a problem. If anyone says
otherwise, it's pure marketing or ignorance. People get bored
all the time. One thing I don't get with flagship speakers, is there
a rule that says most of them have to be ugly ? If one is to build
high priced speakers, would not it be worth hiring someone that
can do a good job on the appearance ?

Lynn Olson brought up some good points. To be strict, this thread is going nowhere if you don't come up with a list of physical properties this new superspeaker has to have. I would like to add these to the list made by Lynn, -3dB point bass, max spl needed. This sort of settle's the cone diameter & x-max needed. Cone diameter would settle your directivity if you want to use a "dome" like tweeter. Even a super exotic and expensive Raal does not like to be crossed @ 1500Hz.

You do know what x-max is?

Last edited:
Yah EA uses a Raal tweeter because of how well they again match spectral decay very well may use a modified version of one of their tweeters, another curiosity what about this tweeters by sb acoustics SB Acoustics SB26STAC-C000-4

That SB Acoustics is a soft dome, when using a rigid bass-mid I prefer to use also something rigid or a ribbon for the tweeter.
I find that hard coned drivers are better in micro detail retrieval, especially those Accutons are very good in reconstructing the ambiance sounds of the recording.

That SB Acoustics is a soft dome, when using a rigid bass-mid I prefer to use also something rigid or a ribbon for the tweeter.
I find that hard coned drivers are better in micro detail retrieval, especially those Accutons are very good in reconstructing the ambiance sounds of the recording.

So it comes down to the Raal tweeter vs. Accuton's cell concept ceramic drivers, I think will probably use either the Accuton

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.