Status
Not open for further replies.
Jc-2

:cool:

Attachments

• jc2 Line Stage.gif
    jc2 Line Stage.gif
    64.8 KB · Views: 553
Pavel, we are getting bogged down answering random concerns. Perhaps we can go forward, instead. What have you found that works pretty good for mosfets?

As you know, I have not built this circuit discussed. My results are based on simulation only, in this particular case.

My simulation shows that both bandwidth and distortion (and spectral distortion content) highly depend on output mosfets. This is no surprise, for sure, as this is an "open-loop" design and change in mosfet's capacitance and their transfer functions (of both halves) contribute to resulting BW and distortion significantly.

Thanks Pavel, as well. It would appear that 2nd harmonic is very sensitive to single ended drive vs balanced drive, interesting.
I realize that this circuit is also limited by the (4) 220 ohm (or so) resistors which provide current to the stage quadrants. What if those resistors were turned into (ideal) current sources? Would that remove the mosfet from adding significant distortion or noise to the final output?
I think that we realize that the 220 ohm sources provide a sneak path that upsets normal cascode behavior to some extent, including noise gain in the mosfets, etc.

Last edited:
...................I realize that this circuit is also limited by the (4) 220 ohm (or so) resistors which provide current to the stage quadrants. What if those resistors were turned into (ideal) current sources? Would that remove the mosfet from adding significant distortion or noise to the final output?
I think that we realize that the 220 ohm sources provide a sneak path that upsets normal cascode behavior to some extent, including noise gain in the mosfets, etc.
Nelson Pass had also an opinion about replacing these resistors with ccs:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=723517

Tino

As many here may have come to realize: The CTC type circuitry is impractical in many ways, and that is why Parasound products do not use it.
In fact, the typical JC designed, Parasound preamp input and second stage, while still balanced in 4 quadrants, is much more forgiving on parts selection, especially Idss, and certainly has much more gain potential, almost too much for open loop operation.

Status
Not open for further replies.