John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I think that the question of perfect tolerance resistors or a trim, should be addressed by worst case analysis using a sensitivity matrix. Does Spice have such a matrix? Sorry, I know ECAP better in this situation.
Would you like to do the calculation, Jannman? Your 'guess' is as good as ours, at the moment.[snip].

I was thinking that even if there is a mismatch and say one half of the amp would have a few % more gain than the other half, that it would be unimportant. Since you mentioned a 'possible improvement' I thought I'd ask. I couldn't think of anything off the top of my head, I thought maybe you could.

jd

It is obvious from direct measurement, that 2nd harmonic drops when using balanced out operation, although not to zero, or unmeasurable. To get the best 2'nd harmonic cancellation, one would expect that uneven outputs would not be as effective in effecting harmonic cancellation. That is why the trimpot might be useful.

This design approach is what we like to call 'elegant' rather than 'sophisticated'. There are thousands of different designs, especially associated with IC's that use lots of cheap parts and design complexity.
We try for 'perfection' with really good parts, well matched, working together to make the most linear transfer function that we can make, especially avoiding higher order nonlinearities that can be generated by more complex schemes, such as tanh, etc.

In fact is a schematic that I sent to courage before stopping to help people who wanted to clone it rather than learning.

I would appreciate if you or anyone else would stop associating me with the practise of cloning, because I have never build any of the circuits presented in this or any other BT thread. Take credit for any circuit you want if it feeds your ego, but please leave me out of it. Thank you!!

Courage, good to see you here. I don't know about you in particular, but some have cloned the design to the best of their ability. In fact, most of my designs do tend to be cloned, sooner or later, it seems. That is why I resist putting up exact schematics of my designs. I think that this is what Justcallmedad was really saying, at least I hope so.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It is obvious from direct measurement, that 2nd harmonic drops when using balanced out operation, although not to zero, or unmeasurable. To get the best 2'nd harmonic cancellation, one would expect that uneven outputs would not be as effective in effecting harmonic cancellation. That is why the trimpot might be useful.

[snip].

Perfect cancellation not only depends on perfect balance between two halves, but also that each half has exactly the same harmonic level and phase as the other. If you have perfect gain but unequal harmonics, it still doesn't 'perfect cancel' and then you're better of with some non-perfect balance. And I guess that would be reality: the two halves never have exactly the same level of harmonics, so best cancellation is with slightly UNbalanced outputs. With a pot, yes, to slightly UNbalance the system to get max harmonic cancellation. So it doesn't really matter whether R19 and R20 are matched, 1% should do.

So it seems that contrary to popular belief, best cancellation results from 'uneven outputs' although you can't predict how uneven.;)

jd

Both matching and selection of proper components - output MOSFETs do make a big difference.

Of course. Look at the gain in http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1930934 it's proportional with the MOSFET transconductance.

This is just another reason why this design is a PITA. High transconductance MOSFET devices are very hard to exactly match at, say, 1% AND over a wide range of drain current. Not to mention the gain which is also proportional to the load impedance (which is, to add insult to injury, never purely resistive). Not to mention the MOSFET AC parameters matching.

Last edited:
Fold the circuit up/down. Then fold again left right. You got a circuit with two transistors. The gain is approximatively G=(Rd/Rs)*gm*Ro where Rd=R5/4, Rs=R19/2, Ro=R21/2 and gm=gm4*4 Total is G=gm4*R21*R5/R19.

Done by visual inspection, so hope I didn't miss anything. Add the distortion cancellation common to all matched symmetrical circuits and you got the entire picture. Offset, drift, PSRR, CMRR are all horrible, that's the reason why the gain stage is 25% of the entire design (rest goes to servos, power supplies), you would also need 0.1% matched resistors. You also need a stiff metal box to keep the **** out of the common mode and keep the temperature more or less constant.

A substandard design by any criteria of the 21st century.

P.S. You could of course cascode the JFETs and get some decent PSRR, at the cost of some headroom.

You forgot about non-linear input capacitances of output MOSFETs that cause signal rectification and dependence of their idle currents on frequency, hence dynamic distortions. Nulls will drift with frequency as well, that would be reflected by 2'nd harmonic distortion dependence on frequency. PS sag, ripples, noise, and non-linearity will be injected in sources, so such simplicity requires PS complexity.
I would not call it elegant, Sorry John and Pavel. It is primitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.