John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
So, this is what you want to discuss John?

OK, what's your point? What do you want to mention? What do you want to hear from us?
Or did you have another circuit in mind? Which one?

Lets start the discussion!

jd

Attachments

• folded%20cascode%20line%20stage%2001.gif
    folded%20cascode%20line%20stage%2001.gif
    7 KB · Views: 347
No, I'm not joking, I really support Syn08's idea, and am ready to contribute to the thread as soon as he starts it.

I think that a new thread probably would have less chance of controversy if there is no name associated with the title.

I think a new sticky thread like "Solid State Design Principles" should be started by a moderator.I will certainly contribute, time permitting.

This thread has to die, its a waste of time, database space and electrons/holes required to post. JC would be of course welcomed in the new thread, but shouldn't expect any special treatment.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Syn08, nobody wants for you to contribute in this thread, if you do not like it. You can fully display your views in the new thread as you are recommending.

Yes indeed. Nobody needs JC's authorization to start a new thread on any subject. If it is interesting enough, posters will flock to it. Those who find this thread interesting (or exciting :D ) will continue to contribute here.

jd

Last edited:
PMA, why don't you put your version of BT like schematic, up? What I was hoping for is a comparison of the folded cascode vs the non-folded cascode (2 stage) 4 quadrant topology in a relatively simple form to discuss how to make each one better. I think that it might be refreshing to have some engineering discussed relative to these topologies.
It is the heart of the CTC Blowtorch, vs the non-cascode being the heart of the JC-80 preamp that somebody is making some circuit boards for, somewhere. Or the double cascode 2 stage 4 quadrant, topology that is the heart of the Parasound JC-2, can be compared to the CTC 4 quadrant folded cascode.
Then the only criticisms will be of the circuits related to the same designer, not others who might not want a comparison made on this thread.
Of course, I invite your improvements, as well as Charles Hansen's (of Ayre) as you both have extensive design experience with this set of topologies.
It would be refreshing to get back to the Blowtorch and its relatives.

Last edited:
Syn08, nobody wants for you to contribute in this thread, if you do not like it. You can fully display your views in the new thread as you are recommending.

Thanks for pointing this out.

This thread is technically useless to anybody but snake oil merchands, looking for ways to promote their crap, and people looking for cheap entertainment (including myself).

One alternative to a new thread is to drop by occasionally and trash, within the moderation limits, all the technical ** for the benefit of the sane people, looking to get something useful out of this mess. Based on the reactions that I usually get, I guess I'm pretty good at that.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Actually the best simplified schematic that I have seen so far, was put up by Courage, years ago, as #678. While some of the resistor values need optimization, it is a very clean simplified schematic.

John, this again will lead nowhere. I know, in a few postst you will again complain that people don't follow your advice and go off topic, but its predictable.
IF you are interested in discussing a circuit, pick one and stick to it. We'll help to put it up.
But if you keep wandering around, how can WE keep OT??

jd

Status
Not open for further replies.