John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The cite does offer an insight into just how successful you and your colleagues were.

But I'd rather not think about what still may come.

Most of the advances IMO are in the next gen HE required and smaller trigger devices. But, the underground tests data characterized and predicted weapon design so well in developing computer models, that a 'ban' on testing could be done. Now it is all designed in computer models/SIM design. Further modelling is done thru plasma research studies (fusion experiments, etc). Lots of new nuclear toys now... ones with enhanced radiation. Different types of radiation. Ones without radiation. Etc. If we wish, we can kill every living thing in a city without destroying the buildings and infrastructure... with short-lived radiation. What fun the next Big One will be.

We live in interesting times.

-RNM

Last edited:
Most of the advances IMO are in the next gen HE required and smaller trigger devices. But, the underground tests data characterized and predicted weapon design so well in developing computer models, that a 'ban' on testing could be done. Now it is all designed in computer models/SIM design. Further modelling is done thru plasma research studies (fusion experiments, etc). Lots of new nuclear toys now... ones with enhanced radiation. Different types of radiation. Ones without radiation. Etc. If we wish, we can kill every living thing in a city without destroying the buildings and infrastructure... with short-lived radiation. What fun the next Big One will be.

We live in interesting times.

-RNM

It is not the big guys I worry about. It is the small single stage device with only partial yields.

The BF471/472 models are seriously compromised from my experience - I just got very bad sim results. I went through them carefully, but could not find the problems - I ditched them and went with the Fairchild 1381/3503.

The 471/2 family were discontinued many years ago - I think they are only available as NOS.

I used them on my Ovation 250 Amp for the VAS - nice specs.

Just be careful of the models though.

The simulation models show a very low Vaf for all but the BFSR19A and the BF821. Almost all of the rest of the transistors have a Vaf of ~20. Since Phillips didn't bother putting charts in the datasheets those of us who haven't used them are left to speculate that they really are that bad.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
The simulation models show a very low Vaf for all but the BFSR19A and the BF821. Almost all of the rest of the transistors have a Vaf of ~20. Since Phillips didn't bother putting charts in the datasheets those of us who haven't used them are left to speculate that they really are that bad.

which are the remaining transistors that are good compl pairs with low C and high voltage and low Vaf?

THx-RNMarsh

John - what's the difference between the Perseus and Orion phono stages?
The marketing seems to indicate the same circuit was used. I don't expect the schematics until several adult beverages later, ( I suspect that wouldn't help, given the need to match a number of NOS jfets anyway) but some general comments on what differentiates the 2 products would be of interest.

Better device selection?
More parallel input devices?
Better passive components? Tighter component selection?
Teflon versus Polypropelene RIAA caps?
More local power supply regulation?
Bigger raw supply caps and transformer?
The lowest noise selected input devices saved for the Orion?
Better jfets ? (2SK147 / 2SJ72 or?)
More cascoding of devices?
Better chassis shielding and mechanical isolation?
Fewer user adjustments?
Fewer inputs?

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member

These are very, very old devices that targeted TV applications and not audio.

I think Philips Semiconductors, now NXP, never got to be one of the biggest suppliers into the auto and banking industries (your credit card is NXP powered) with shitty data sheets.

Cheap shot in my view.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
My goodness - a lot of JFET's in there.

Did you consider going parallel single ended:-

-potentially less noise - BF862 is the lowest noise JFET available at <1nV/rt Hz with very low 1/f corner. Parallel 8 of 'em and you are in <0.3nV/rt Hz territory. They cost pennies at Mouser
-second harmonic dominates the distortion spectra - not odds - pleasing sonic signature
- certainly easier to source parts
- marry to a good quality 'Scottie' (aka AD797) and all active feedback RIAA EQ for >35dB OLM
- = best of all worlds

See Syn08's website for inspiration and Dennis Colin's LP797 for a good primer.

more l8r ;)

Last edited:
Well I thought I'd give Marce something to laugh about.

Attachments

• Low Noise Preamp.jpg
    Low Noise Preamp.jpg
    514.8 KB · Views: 282
Status
Not open for further replies.