John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps you have only heard instruments that have been amplified and passed through effects boxes, and so have no frame of reference for the sound of acoustic instruments played in a domestic environment. Perhaps an exaggerated sound of fingers sliding on steel guitar strings is all you are familiar with
What do you imagine was the life of a sound engineer, touring during decades with groups, musicians who cannot stop playing music during all those hours in the van on the road with all kind of acoustic instruments that you can imagine ?
Jamming in the rented houses where we were all living together during all the month of a recording project.
With all kind of musicians, all brands of instruments (including hundreds of different percussions from all the countries across the world), all kind of strings and all kind of mediators on them and all kind of way to play them you can imagine, some very unconventional ?
It is like to ask a sailor who sailed for 40 years if he knows how behave waves and winds ;-)
Do you think we are stuck between our mixing desks in studios and our beds ?
The first thing we do, when new musicians arrive for a studio session, is to listen to them in the studio. Because, before to begin to record, the first thing we have to do is to ... improve the source when it is possible... try to find the best mic for each instrument and the best place for them. Sometimes very close, sometimes at some distance when it is possible. And understand their feelings to serve them ...

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
John - what's the difference between the Perseus and Orion phono stages?
The marketing seems to indicate the same circuit was used. I don't expect the schematics until several adult beverages later, ( I suspect that wouldn't help, given the need to match a number of NOS jfets anyway) but some general comments on what differentiates the 2 products would be of interest.

Better device selection?
More parallel input devices?
Better passive components? Tighter component selection?
Teflon versus Polypropelene RIAA caps?
More local power supply regulation?
Bigger raw supply caps and transformer?
The lowest noise selected input devices saved for the Orion?
Better jfets ? (2SK147 / 2SJ72 or?)
More cascoding of devices?
Better chassis shielding and mechanical isolation?
Fewer user adjustments?
Fewer inputs?

Last edited:
Ticknpop, you have made some pretty good guesses. Primarily, the input devices were changed from the 2SK170-J74, to 2SK146-J73 devices to achieve a 3dB improvement in noise, more EQ flexibility, and a different case. Teflon is used as well as polystyrene. Vishay bulk metal instead of Dale in many cases. etc.

Last edited:
So how do you calibrate a TV with that? Serious question as they work with SW on the PC to adjust the PC settings.

I use a Munki, I also have the color passport that I use when taking photos where I want correct colours such as macros of plants or portraits. Don't work with TVs unless you view it via the PC all the time. It sets a colour profile for the screen in the PC.... I wish you could plug them into the Sky box or DVDs save plenty of messing around.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
So how do you calibrate a TV with that? Serious question as they work with SW on the PC to adjust the PC settings.

It displays the color temp numbers, ref a standard, picked up by the sensors. And, other affects as per a test disk or generator. There are many brands for sensor/SW/test disk. I use a German made system.

The hand-held model J18 by TEK has its own built-in display to read the 3 color sensors. Might still find one on eBay. But with a portable computer, the cheaper PC/sensor is just as good and maybe better in some ways.

-RNM

Last edited:
Set the TV up manually for brightness etc. then calibrate using in my case the ColorMunki, this creates a custom ICC profile for the TV/Monitor that the PC uses in conjunction with the graphics card. It is all automatic one you set the base contrast and brightness. The better ones have an ambient light sensor, you can leave then plugged in all the time, so they automatically adjust for ambient light.
For TV via Sky etc. I use a calibration disk and set it manually not my preferred choice but better than just leaving it to chance or what you perceive to be correct, because often what we perceive is flawed.

Real instruments recorded onto analog tape. Mixed in analog domain. Cut from analog to vinyl. Now THAT is rare these days and has been for about 25 years.

Most recording engineers just except the sonic meat grinder that Pro Tools and similar ilk are.
Again this preconceived idea against Digital ?
"Most recording engineers" are so happy with it, because they are always comparing before and after tape sound. And, if it is quasi impossible to make a difference in Digital, the difference is obvious with analog tape recorders, not to talk about vinyls: You can just cry when you listen to them, and compare with your original master.

Everything that happens in the digital domain don't destroy anything, and great care is taken, in all the serious studios i know, to chose the best AD / DA converters available.

About mixing desks, Digital is an obvious plus, as, after conversion, there is no added intermodulation or noise, as opposite to analog desks. The main problem is about "correctors". If frequencies correctors are very transparent in digital domain, very good to eliminate unwanted frequencies and clean the sound, they are very inefficient to change the "Character" of an instrument. So, we continue to use analog frequencies correctors when we need that kind of deep sculpture, where phases changes are the matter.

Last edited:
I want to know too, because I have a Colour Monkey as well, and a TV I want to check.
What about using a set-top box to watch the TV ? And your TV set as a monitor ?

There is a fantastic and very cheap program for the TV "DVB viewer". You can use PC sat cards or TNT ones to receive broadcasts.

The only problem for me is that the satellite signals I use for French TNT programs by satellite (only way to receive them where I am) are coded in such a way that NO PC card accept the CAM CI+ card for the moment. It is FRANSAT, with a card you buy forever. So, i would be obliged to chose an other alternative, on an other satellite, with a card you have to renew each year, against money, of course ;-(

This said, the PC based deinterlacing programs you can use in set-top boxes are not so good than the hardware ones inside the your TV. Once again, complicated and flawed technology.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.