John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it is done in ANY transport - the wobble and flutter and wow of the mechanical turntable is horrendous compared to clock stability. I don't think a CD drive would be possible without an intermediate shift register to buffer the data.

Jan

Yes it was there in the very first Philips chip set (along with the never toggling uncorrected error pin).:rolleyes:

But, is that what they do to a high standard in a $200-300 CD player?
Richard, the CD player is the source. What we have to care of is the quality of our DA converters.
Here a digital central unit, the digital equivalent of our analog preamp ?
In an ideal multiway system, i should consider to build for each speaker a separate amplifier+ DAC + analog remote volume control + PSU.
Feeding each of them with an optical link from a digital multiway filter system / switcher. And this central unit receiving optical digital signals (or wifi radio signals) from the sources. No one ground connection between any AC powered unit.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Thank you kindly, George. While that's not exactly what I'm after, it has its merits and is welcome.

What are you after Dejan?

I'll have to test it to see if they do or how good/bad they do in my player before I believe it applies to my unit.

Which is your CD player?

Does anyone make a pass through USB connector so one can use an external super battery for power to USB devices while still getting the audio data from the computer.

A good idea. I haven’t seen such a product but you can modify a USB cable or the USB input of the DAC
>Edit. In case that the DAC box has inside a DC/DC switching converter, there will be not much of an improvement

George

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
My back-ground music CD player is a Sony DVP-CX985V Its toslink output goes directly to BenchMark-2. It plays thru my main system amps/speakers. The comparison is USB/SSD stored HD files plugged into an Auraliti Pk100 and its's digital out to a dig in on the BenchMark-2. Same amps/speakers/room.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
... but the battery on which that netbook runs just supplies a bunch of internal smps's. So I wonder if that is the big difference?

Jan

Possibly not, HRT boasts of greatly improved isolation in this device so that might be closer to the mark. I wish i could properly measure the output but it must be quite clean, it certainly sounds that way to me. Maybe there is something to the asynchronous hype after all. It's an impressive little device and a noticeable improvement over my other DAC which uses an external supply.

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Possibly not, HRT boasts of greatly improved isolation in this device so that might be closer to the mark. I wish i could properly measure the output but it must be quite clean, it certainly sounds that way to me. It's an impressive little device and a noticeable improvement over my other DAC which uses an external supply.

Possibly not what?
Even with the external smps there is still smps-s internally.

And that is most likely single mode with decent connectors. Toslink is nasty plastic fibre with nasty inaccurate connectors and nasty multimode. It can't possibly sound good. At least that is way some paint it. Like I say need to look for any measured data comparing the 2.
The fact that it is multimode and plastic doesn't necessarily means it is nasty: multimodes can easily manage 10Gb/s nowadays, which should be sufficient for most not-too-demanding-customers, that is non-audiophil(iacs) listeners.
What counts is the actual error rate, from an end-user perspective: if you get one unrecoverable code violation for every 24h of program, that is probably acceptable, nasty plastic or not: that is the way digital links have to be evaluated.
Of course, for transatlantic cables and terabit backbones SM fiber is required, but they are dimensioned to have a (corrected) BER comparable to MM on shorter distances.
No transmission medium has an obvious, intrinsic all-round superiority: for example, the FTTH model is now seriously challenged (or complemented?) by copper alternatives, like G.fast, the next-gen DSL.
In short, don't jump to conclusions based on ugly looks only... it could be seriously wrong

Toslink requires extra circuitry at each end to process the signal, opinions vary online as to the effect this has on signal purity. I did my own comparisons and my impression was that toslink produced the kind of sound that the original detractors of CD called 'artificial digital sound'. I got the impression that coax sounded more natural in the system i was using at the time.

Pros and cons as usual - http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/Intro/SQ/Toslink_Coax.htm

Last edited:
Toslink requires extra circuitry at each end to process the signal, opinions vary online as to the effect this has on signal purity. I did my own comparisons and my impression was that toslink produced the kind of sound that the original detractors of CD called 'artificial digital sound'. I got the impression that coax sounded more natural in the system i was using at the time.
As long as you are in the digital domain, there is no "Kind of sound". Just datas, with errors or not. And you can compare it objectively comparing them. No room for poetry. As said Scott, any error, executing a program at GHz in your computer can, most of the time, lead to a blue screen. Is-it so often ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.