John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
well as JC has quoted that same wine tasting on this thread thought it would amuse.

Yes, he still hasn't quite figured out what that article says (in fact, exactly the opposite of the points he is attempting to make when he cites it), but it's now a meme, so has a life of its own. It's a bit sad to see such shabby cheerleading proffered as a substitute for rational and open-minded approaches to advancing the audio art.

My updates. Ignoring protocol.

Daylight savings time exists for a good reason. The silliness of standardizing clocks for noon as mid-day is the issue! In winter if you have 8 hours of daylight that would be about 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M. So kids can go to school in daylight and it overlaps the usual work day fairly well. Now in summer with a 16 hour day that would be from 4:00 A.M. to 8:00 P.M. not exactly when most folks would find the light useful!

Older methods used the sunset as the end of day or when you could tell a white thread from a black one inside a tent as dawn.

Scott,

Q is not a uniform descriptor for a notch filter. It is the 3 dB bandwidth vs the notch depth. The slope description of single, double etc. pole is only accurate well past the center frequency. So you can have narrow band filters with the same Q but quite different areas over the curve. As an example you have played with using a sub critical Wien bridge oscillator filter. It is only a single pole-zero filter, but as you approach the resonant frequency it behaves as a very sharp filter providing greater than 40 dB of filtering.

Now on to dithering, there are many schemes for what the optimal dither should be. There are clean mathematical answers as to optimizing it for maximum resolution. But that is not the same as optimizing it for perception weighted artifacts.

Last edited:
Yes, he still hasn't quite figured out what that article says (in fact, exactly the opposite of the points he is attempting to make when he cites it), but it's now a meme, so has a life of its own. It's a bit sad to see such shabby cheerleading proffered as a substitute for rational and open-minded approaches to advancing the audio art.

There's no interest in advancement. It's all about "clinging to their guns and religion."

By the way, Brisson/MIT is now entering into the aftermarket headphone cable market. Complete with their whole "articulation" gibberish.

It's sad. The headphone folks used to be a pretty sane bunch.

se

It is the standard response to any request for more information/measurements... My grandchild has perfected it, she sticks her fingers in her ears and yodels... but she is just over 2 years old so I can forgive her.... Same thing just done by Oldish men in jeans....
One advantage I seem to have over many is I am content with all my music replay systems and don't have to hunt for the next gremlin, but then again I am to unsophisticated to really tell the differences between wines especially as my chosen method of imbibing is to quaff...:)

RNMarsh -in my opinion, fibre optic signal transmission does no favours to digital reply, coaxial is more direct and sounds better to my ears. Grounding issues are better solved by using well designed equipment or even isolation transformers.
Definitively not, on my experience. Unless you are using battery powered devices, you cannot avoid leakages across AC transformers, IE currents between grounds of several equipment.
It is sufficient to rely the ground of my computer to the one of my audio system to ruin its sound. Whatever the senses of the AC Plugs i can try.
And the problems you can encounter with digital optical transmissions are easily *suppressed* with an accurate re-clocking.

Last edited:
Scott,

Q is not a uniform descriptor for a notch filter. It is the 3 dB bandwidth vs the notch depth. The slope description of single, double etc. pole is only accurate well past the center frequency. So you can have narrow band filters with the same Q but quite different areas over the curve. As an example you have played with using a sub critical Wien bridge oscillator filter. It is only a single pole-zero filter, but as you approach the resonant frequency it behaves as a very sharp filter providing greater than 40 dB of filtering.

What's this all about? Was never talking about notch filters at least in the recent past.

Status
Not open for further replies.