John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined 2014
Paid Member
Definitively not, on my experience. Unless you are using battery powered devices, you cannot avoid leakages across AC transformers, IE currents between grounds of several equipment.
It is sufficient to rely the ground of my computer to the one of my audio system to ruin its sound. Whatever the senses of the AC Plugs i can try.
And the problems you can encounter with digital optical transmissions are easily *suppressed* with an accurate re-clocking.
And yet toslink is often panned for poor jitter performance. I am a single mode fibre fan from working with telco equipment so the bias against multimode fibre is high, but I need to research again to see if there is actually and quantifiable difference between coax and optical.

What's this all about? Was never talking about notch filters at least in the recent past.

Tom Danley mentioned that you had to adjust every different manufacturers' DSP filter set differently for the same loudspeaker. You commented that slope bandwidth Q etc. completely defined a filter and they should be interchangeable. You might not have been thinking of notch filters, but that was inherent in any complete loudspeaker eq.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
And that is most likely single mode with decent connectors. Toslink is nasty plastic fibre with nasty inaccurate connectors and nasty multimode. It can't possibly sound good. At least that is way some paint it. Like I say need to look for any measured data comparing the 2.

wave division multiplexed fibre setups are impressive beasties when you are plonking 64 high througput frequencies down a 9 micron diameter glass tube. Then half the bandwidth is wasted using MPLS. Sob.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012

Didnt think so. Was wondering - Why so many ways to do it suggested and written about? Wiki gives a good summary. Its all the variable filter suggestions that maked me wonder -- what for? Just use one most cost effective way that removes the junk freqs. Seems like it might make most difference with low sampling rate of CD/44.1 by slightly affecting upper end of audio.... depending on filter characteristics. But there have been work arounds for that, also.

just checking.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
It is digital datas. No question of sound. Are they corrupted or not is the only question.
It is stupid to rely to "flow". FIFO (buffers) and reclock is the way.

It wouldnt be the f.o. itself but the interfacing...... reflections off the f.o. ends and gap between f.o. and recver and angle of f.o. cut........ clean square-cut ends, polished and tightly matted and aligned to receiver etc...... BTW -- the dB attenuation at each coupling is the same as in coax. You loose a fraction dB at each coupling. For a cable company that matters. But cheap toslink and f.o. connection are higher loss and more variable. The f.o. receiver may not be the best, either.... all leading to jitter.

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
... all leading to jitter.
You don't care about the edge or length of the bit (OK, in a limited range).
Just put each of bits in a registry. Then read this registry with a perfect local clock. Just the registry has to be large enough to compensate any frequency difference without running out of datas because you are reading too fast or two slow. That you can avoid with some PLL.

Tom Danley mentioned that you had to adjust every different manufacturers' DSP filter set differently for the same loudspeaker. You commented that slope bandwidth Q etc. completely defined a filter and they should be interchangeable. You might not have been thinking of notch filters, but that was inherent in any complete loudspeaker eq.

I don't remember saying that to Tom. He made a comment about loudspeaker design when I simply pointed out a simple correction to a standard peaking equalizer that is defined by gain and Q due to the frequency warping in the Z domain. The original comment was actually just pointing out how a person's correction to his own work can get lost in the shuffle. My comment had nothing to do at all with complex DSP speaker crossover design.

MiniDSP and SoX use Robert Bristow Johnson's Audio EQ Cookbook to compute the basic IIR biquad filter coefficients. He posted a correction for peaking EQ's that neither picked up on even though at 48K you might want to place eq at a substantial fraction of Nyquist.

peakingEQ: H(s) = (s^2 + s*(A/Q) + 1) / (s^2 + s/(A*Q) + 1)

Last edited:
Just put each of bits in a registry. Then read this registry with a perfect local clock. Just the registry has to be large enough to compensate any frequency difference without running out of datas because you are reading too fast or two slow. That you can avoid with some PLL.

Yeah. And as long as upstream jitter isn't sufficient to cause data errors, the only jitter that counts is when the DAC chip does the final conversion.

se

Disabled Account
Joined 2012

Sounds like a good work-around to minimize Toshlink jitter. But, is that what they do to a high standard in a $200-300 CD player?

THx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Definitively not, on my experience. Unless you are using battery powered devices, you cannot avoid leakages across AC transformers, IE currents between grounds of several equipment.
It is sufficient to rely the ground of my computer to the one of my audio system to ruin its sound. Whatever the senses of the AC Plugs i can try.
And the problems you can encounter with digital optical transmissions are easily *suppressed* with an accurate re-clocking.

Nowadays i use a stripped down 250gb netbook running on it's battery and connected to one of these great sounding low power consumption DAC's - HRT Music Streamer III | Hi-Fi+

I get around 6 hours running foobar before it needs charged again. Been there and this is the best solution (bang for buck) i've yet come across.

Worst solution was a desktop PC with it's inbuilt SMPS, a total nightmare of ground loop noise. If that was the only way open to me i'd never have abandoned my CD players and would be among the first to rubbish the whole concept of computer based audio.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sounds like a good work-around to minimize Toshlink jitter. But, is that what they do to a high standard in a $200-300 CD player?

THx-RNMarsh

I believe it is done in ANY transport - the wobble and flutter and wow of the mechanical turntable is horrendous compared to clock stability. I don't think a CD drive would be possible without an intermediate shift register to buffer the data.

This is another reason why many people are skeptical to reports that modifications to CD transports or the use of special drives and platter constructions would make any difference to the sound.

Jan

Nowadays i use a stripped down 250gb netbook running on it's battery and connected to one of these great sounding low power consumption DAC's - HRT Music Streamer III | Hi-Fi+
Been there and this is the best solution (bang for buck) i've yet come across.

Does anyone make a pass through USB connector so one can use an external super battery for power to USB devices while still getting the audio data from the computer.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member

I get around 6 hours running foobar before it needs charged again. Been there and this is the best solution (bang for buck) i've yet come across.

Worst solution was a desktop PC with it's inbuilt SMPS, a total nightmare of ground loop noise. If that was the only way open to me i'd never have abandoned my CD players and would be among the first to rubbish the whole concept of computer based audio.

... but the battery on which that netbook runs just supplies a bunch of internal smps's. So I wonder if that is the big difference?

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.