John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
because when the moderator does it, everyone thinks they have permission to jump on the bandwagon for pages until nothing serious can be discussed or communicated.

Afaig, SY isn't attending this thread in his capacity as a moderator.
Secondly, I doubt anyone on this thread assumes to require his permission.
Speaking on my own behalf, I pay more attention to SY's utterings from his vast global knowledge databank, than his comments on fraudulent matters. As far as I know, this has been my 1st offense of posting on snake related issues at this thread, in over half a decade.

(in a world of borderline intelligence, salvation from boredom lies in humorism)

Last edited:
diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
An 'on topic' input is that I sold a CTC Blowtorch this week. Some people have the money and the interest for what they think of as the 'best' in audio equipment.
That's great news!

I have a feeling that many of us are going to die leaving behind drawers full of those special parts we're saving for those special projects. Our heirs if any will sweep through and not know what they are, and have better things to do with their time than get competitive bids. How many will end up in landfills and lost forever?

High end audio (i am talking about the very high end, not the mid-fi stuff John is involved in) is akin to Haute Couture.

I was amazed to learn that the whole industry has a clientele of some 200 ( yes 200). But, a single, piece will set the buyer back starting at $50k, with the norm at $500k. No even the Hollywood A list qualify since they simply borrow off the rack $5k or $10k pieces. This stuff is truly aimed at the 1%.

So, $100k for an amp is cheap my friends. Cheap.

Fascinating !
Can you post links to some of those very high end products ?

Joined 2002
Paid Member
That's great news!

I have a feeling that many of us are going to die leaving behind drawers full of those special parts we're saving for those special projects. Our heirs if any will sweep through and not know what they are, and have better things to do with their time than get competitive bids. How many will end up in landfills and lost forever?

I was just thinking that the other day as I placed a one pound box of #4 washers on a shelf the other day knowing they won't all be used by me. Now somebody else can use washers but little black things with legs will get tossed.

diyAudio Member RIP
Joined 2005
The ones I bought from you Brad, I have still not done anything with as of yet! Just another project waiting it the wings like alot of you I suppose.
I wonder what the antique road show would bid someday when we are all gone...
Regards
David
It's a bit like buying a really good book. If you're not taking a course, or desperately needing the information, it sits on the shelf and adds to the decor. But there is no great sense of urgency --- you can read it any time, right?

Now lose it or loan it out (usually the same thing), or put it into storage that's relatively difficult to access (my situation with much of my library). Now the desire to read it is increased, sometimes drastically.

Another was delighted to buy as well some SJ and SK duals (the heart of the CTC Blowtorch as I understand it), and last told me to hold on to the second purchased sets. I was and am happy to do so, but evidently the ones sent have been more than adequate to date.

I'm also about to experiment with some eBay sales of non-electronic collectibles and see just how much below "catalog" they go. I've got to fund the wine drinking somehow. Actually my fixed costs are very high right now due to all the storage needed, mostly for books. Those are also likely to be sold when I leave for a few pennies on the dollar, although I've done a pretty decent job of getting their descriptions and current values into a database.

Fraud is "the crime of getting money by deceiving people". By that definition everyone is guilty of such at some point in their lives, some do it most of the time, like the advertising and marketing lot, ;). But they are allowed to ply their trade, because the product they push, in the end, does actually do something useful.

So, this device either does something, hopefully useful, when inserted in the place it's meant to be, or it doesn't - putting it on the testbench and applying tests one thinks are appropriate is not the point. The only meaningful test is to do, yes, a DB, in situations where people have these units in their system and state very positively that they are beneficial, and randomly have them in place, or removed, over a period of time the listener is comfortable with. If every single listener fails to discern the difference then one can call them a fraud ...

I'm a lot like you, bcarso. I have a LOT of textbooks, and virtually thousands of audio publications, scattered or shelved in my apartment. I also buy extra storage for even MORE stuff that I hope to use before I go.
My problem is: I am getting old, and I feel it. I have little energy, lousy eyesight, just enough to read text, and expensive techs. I fear that I am going to die with a lot of parts and books, some mostly unread, that my family will have to get rid of somehow.
I still LOVE to look up something from my journal collection or from textbooks on my shelf somewhere. I think it is about the ONLY thing that keeps me enthused. Of course, I have to answer technical questions almost daily for my employers. I am a resource for them, so that they don't have to hire a resident engineer to design their products. Works for me.

I think somebody has! '-) I don't completely understand the 'violation of the second law' in regards to Bybee. I think of it as more a filter that converts some electrons and takes the extra energy from them and turns it into heat.

That would be a perpetual motion machine of the second type (since it's not a resistor). That's a different kind of Second Law violation, but the part about decreasing local entropy is the more damning (to my way of thinking). Sorry but can't buy it, no way, no how.

Thanks, as always,
Chris

Last edited:
some do it most of the time, like the advertising and marketing lot.

No, they don't.
If anything is mentioned in an advertisement, which is false or can be proven to be false, the company is liable to be fined, and sued.
That does not imply that the ad has to tell the truth.

And as you say, the washing powder does something good, it cleans the clothing.
It can also be proven, that the powder actually cleans the garments. You can bet your hiney, that PowderPal corp. has loads of documentation from their lab, as substantiation. Basically, all they have to do is wash with powder, and without.
Now any hick will agree, that is child's play and doesn't prove that PowderPal washes better than the cheapest bar of soap, or the competition.
But PowderPal never said it will, and the customer did not ask.

Try getting a written promise from Mr. BB that his gun will do the trick better, than without.

If he had a money back guarantee, or a service where you could try a 'used' one for a period that would probably help his credibility to some degree for those upset. In the end everyone just wants solutions to an issue, and if they've already spent big money to get so far then there's really no harm in asking some significant sum for an apparently simple device which improves things, if it truly does for that case ...

Status
Not open for further replies.