John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't completely understand the 'violation of the second law' in regards to Bybee. I think of it as more a filter that converts some electrons and takes the extra energy from them and turns it into heat.

You also apparently don't understand electrons and basic quantum mechanics (which is OK, most people don't, but they don't try to talk about it, either). If you want to learn something, there's lots of layman treatments of indistinguishability of electrons, exchange, and antisymmetry. Likewise, Feynman is an excellent source of understanding of first principles in thermodynamics (see Vol 1 of the Lectures, one of the finest books ever written, and if memory serves, you said you had it). His treatment of the Brownian Ratchet is particularly germane.

If every single listener fails to discern the difference then one can call them a fraud ...

It is actually rather amusing what you just did.

Your personal opinion is that advertisers and marketers are frauds, by your definition of 'Fraud'.
Yet you find it acceptable, as the pushed products do something good.
Your definition of 'doing something good' is that it suffices if a single individual claims that the product is beneficial.

This arguement you then use to legitimise a device, as that too only requires a single person to state it does something good/usefull, to prevent it from being labelled as fraudulent. What thousands of others think, or claim about it, is of no consequence.

In your line of thinking, I could market a stone with the voice of the devil.
I'd only need to advertise for 1 satanist on the web, who will state the stone talks to him.

Secondly, if all advertisers and marketeers were to be sued and jailed next month if the law changed, that would be in accordance with your personal opinion about them.
Implicitely, you'd then have to be of the opinion that the maker of the device is a fraud, and should be sentenced too.
Therefore, if your personal opinion of advertisers and marketeers is that they're are actually frauds, but allowed to slip through within the boundaries of the law, you're basically saying ByBee is a fraud but get's away with it.

Example of your irrational mindset.

there's really no harm in asking some significant sum for an apparently simple device which improves things, if it truly does for that case

If only one person finds it improves things, there's a lot of harm in asking a significant sum for an apparently simple device which costs virtually nothing to manufacture, compared to the retail.

Irrational reasoning example two.

Last edited:
Well, the jibe about the sales promotion was meant to be humourous ... :)

If one is attempting to promote, shall we say, a cure for a very rare disease then the single success case doesn't appear quite as "ridiculous". Promoting a product is legitimate, and if you know your target audience well enough then hyping to the max may be part and parcel of that environment - just look at the perfume trade, and the prices charged there for what you get ...

Every indication is that the maker of the Bybee believes his product has value, and that many others also believe after having tried it -- I would find it astounding that every person has taken it on board purely because of the force, the charisma of Jack's personality

If only one person finds it improves things, there's a lot of harm in asking a significant sum for an apparently simple device which costs virtually nothing to manufacture, compared to the retail.
If the person is trying to make a living, not quite so simple. If one is talking of a bespoke situation then the costs always do seem terribly high, as in having a unique, architect designed home. The manufacturing may be relatively only a small portion of the 'costs' - the overheads of promotion and value of IP also come into it ...

If there is "nothing in it" then there is nothing stopping someone else doing the equivalent, with as much placebo effect, and halving the price, etc -- the bottom would fall out of the market very quickly.

Actually to meet the closer tolerances they do need to use different materials. Going from tempcos of 100 PPM to 50 to 25 is not a trimming effort since the materials define the tempco.

I am not convinced that you are entirely correct there. Look at, for example, Vishay CMF series. I do not believe (nor does the data sheet support) that different tempco or precision values are achieved within that one product line by using different materials or construction, but those resistors are available with rated temperature coefficients of 200, 150, 100, 50, and 25 ppm.

Now sure, between different lines (like CMF vs PTF, where PTF is offered in tempco ratings of 5, 10, and 15 ppm) there are material and construction differences - you can see that just by looking at them. But again, the PTF resistors rated 0.02% tolerance and 5ppm tempco are made of the same alloy as PTF's rated at 1% tolerance and 15ppm.

So, this device either does something, hopefully useful, when inserted in the place it's meant to be, or it doesn't - putting it on the testbench and applying tests one thinks are appropriate is not the point. The only meaningful test is to do, yes, a DB, in situations where people have these units in their system and state very positively that they are beneficial, and randomly have them in place, or removed, over a period of time the listener is comfortable with. If every single listener fails to discern the difference then one can call them a fraud ...
You want to learn electronics and how to design things, I would also look up how a.c. signals travels, again your post show naivety in these areas.

Sorry, I worry about system integrity - not single component, or single part behaviour. It's the belief that the components behave exactly as one expects them to within the context of the total electrical environment that seems to undo a lot of good effort in optimising sound - I have heard too much comparatively poor sound from "highly engineered" audio gear to believe otherwise ...

Edit: I'm not interested in designing 'my' amplifier, or 'my' DAC - I'm interested in achieving the highest quality sound ... and I'll use whatever means necessary to achieve that ..

Last edited:
That's up to you Chris.
As much as I said I was done, this does require some mention; it isn't "up to....Chris".

He doesn't set, or define, the Laws of Physics or Thermodynamics. As SY explained, they are set in stone and are some of the most intuitive laws of the universe (putting aside what a true understanding of what entropy and enthalpy actually mean). Simply put, as soon as the principles of thermodynamics are violated, the universe ceases to exist. Yep, pfffffft, all gone.

Now, let's get down to the operations of the BBs (hereafter referred to as the FFs, as reference to the Fraudulent F.....s). If they violate the Laws of Thermodynamics, we all cease to exist. Hands up anyone who wants that?

Joined 2005
Paid Member
Meanwhile back at the ranch.
A review and internal photos of the "budget" Constellation Audio pre/power amp. While the construction seems untidy compared to some the proof of the pudding is in the measurements and reported audio quality. NOS parts and a combination of surface mount and through hole components it shows what John, Demian, Bascom, and crew can do when budgets allow. Where is my Power ball ticket?

http://absolutesounds.com/pdf/main/press/Virgo:centaur_HFN_June_2013.pdf

Last edited:
One of the interesting comments in the review is the 'transformation' from "good-to-bad and back to incredible" of a recording, purely dependent on how the power amp is used. This is the 'nightmare' world that one has to deal with when aiming high - the gap between abysmal, disposable sound, and superb quality, can seem so tiny at times that it seems beyond comprehension. Yet, that's how it is a lot of the time - the frustration of tracking down that last little thing which is still an issue can drive one crazy ... :spin:

If one is attempting to promote, shall we say, a cure for a very rare disease then the single success case doesn't appear quite as "ridiculous".

OH YES it is !

You're quite welcome to challenge me to a medical duel.

The manufacturing may be relatively only a small portion of the 'costs' - the overheads of promotion and value of IP also come into it

It appears as if you have not seen the guts of a ByBee

Last edited:
I was referring to a 'valid' medical potion or procedure, not some "quackery" ... ;)

The size or apparent complexity of the guts has little to do with it, it's the package as is that counts. Yes, there have been "destroyed" units - what needs to happen, say, is to subsitute the "dumb" resistor inside one of those, stripped of the surrounding bits, into a system where the owner uses and 'believes' in them, for the untarnished one - does he notice ...?

To me, it's just doing the work of a ferrite bead in some fashion, from the sound of it ...

Last edited:
I was referring to a 'valid' medical potion or procedure, not some "quackery"

For a medical potion to be Valid (aka legitimate), requires a minimum succes rate percentage, and it's way way above 1%.
There are various reasons for the above mentioned, try if you can come up with just a single one.

just look at the perfume trade, and the prices charged there for what you get

Yet another example of your irrational state of mind.

Even I, before buying perfume, spray a little on the inside of my wrist, and rub it in my skin, then scent the fragrance.
No-one in his right mind would wear a smell he/she doesn't like.
No cure, no pay : 100 out of 100 !

(standard price/cost ratio of the perfume business is not even near the one for a BB gun, btw)

Time and again, you demonstrate that your reasoning is totally subjective, mainly governed by your emotional intelligence :
- You lack rational analytical thinking capability.
- Yet you master a substantial English vocabulary.
- You adore to write in a lengthy prozaic style, with the use of voluptuous and succulent words.
- You prefer to include your feelings and sentiments in your posts.
- You can get overwhelmed by emotions, when twitching audio gear.

In the professional medical business, by the checklist, you have what is phrased a disharmonious intelligence profile.

Last edited:
For a medical potion to be Valid (aka legitimate), requires a minimum succes rate percentage, and it's way way above 1%.
Before we were talking about a single instance, now we're talking about 1% ... :scratch:

Time and again, you demonstrate that your reasoning is totally subjective, mainly governed by your emotional intelligence :
- You lack rational analytical thinking capability.
- Yet you master a substantial English vocabulary.
- You adore to write in a lengthy prozaic style, with the use of voluptuous and succulent words.
- You prefer to include your feelings and sentiments in your posts.
- You can get overwhelmed by emotions, when twitching audio gear.

In the professional medical business, by the checklist, you have what is phrased a disharmonious intelligence profile.
Aw, gee ... you're just saying nice things to please me !! ... and, I like you too, :D ...

Before we were talking about a single instance, now we're talking about 1%

Irrational example Cuckoo (Chanel) Numero Cinq.

Usually, 1% is more than 1 single instance.
If 1% is valid, and 1% is more than 1, then 1 instance is also valid. (Complete Mathematical Induction 101)
Validity of 'medical potions' is measured in percentages, not in instances.
Various reasons for me to know, try if you can come up with just a single one.

The reason you choose to believe otherwise, and not take Marce's advice, in reality, is that you're not able to, you lack the basic requirements.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
John, can you send me any samples to listen/measure? After I read the technical paper you are sending to me, I'll get a 'feel' for what tests I would like to try. And, though my hearing isnt a reference by any means, I'd like to try listening to them in my system. If I find anything interesting, I'll say so here.

Thx-RNM

Status
Not open for further replies.