John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr Curl is a close friend, hardly the person one can expect to apostatize.
And for all you know, autographed a piece of paper somewhere in time.
(in my nation, one is 100% guilty until 100% proven otherwise, just no need to be disrespectfull and discourteous)

On a 10-item Quack checklist, the BB gun scores an A+
Doesn't require a brain, preconditioning, or prejudice.

Last edited:
Back when I studied physical geography at the Amsterdam university, quite some time in the fresh years was devoted on reading publications.

One was taught that the various 'academics' had to write and publish a minimum number of articles on an annual basis, as per the contract's small print.
As most rather preferred to divide all of their attention on a personal baby, at the very least, three-quarters of the (research + projects +) publications were one-night stands, and total Duck Smeg. (© Lister, Red Dwarf)

More efficient use of time, instead of wading through piles of paperwork, proved to be checking for remnants of feathers and footprints, listening closely to hear a Quack, and smell the edges for Yucky residue.

(best one can happen, is to stumble on a professor during off-hours, with his dick stuck in a hooker)

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2012
It is becoming ever more clear to me that this particular forum is mostly about bashing something.... usually what is called the High End. So be it. Apparently this has been going on for years here.

There is what is audible and what is not and how to prove either.

I have tested my hearing abilities and know a few things about my hearing limits. On the other hand, I also like to know a lot more in detail about subjects. Even esoteric things that may or may not be audible at all. And, if I were to build something, and it wasnt terribly expensive to use... I would use the best part no matter what. I just like knowing that the total sum of everything going into the project adds up to the cleanest sound and has some feeling/sense that it is nicely made; Bordering on the athetics and arts in me. This is where the High-End is at, IMO. Its more than what is audible and what isnt.

However, in the free marketing atmosphere here in the good old US of A's, just about any claim can and is made. That ruins it for the rest of us. So, now I have to spend a little time on this ByBee thing and decide for myself where it falls. I dont expect the bashing to stop here.... thanks for the other forums!

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
checking for remnants of feathers

You see Jacco, even in these activities, fetishism (aka in need of placebo effect ) and fetish toys (aka snake-oil) prevail.

As for the prof caught-up on action (they too are humans), Mr. Curl has admitted listening to music from a tabletop radio. :D

And I never implied him apostatizing. :nownow: Having a critical eye on a friend is a friendly action

George

Last edited:
This is where the High-End is at, IMO. Its more than what is audible and what isnt.

No-one disagrees with that. It's a fashion business. Where the contentiousness arises is from unsupported and unsupportable claims about physical processes and audibility that transcend the gestalt of the pretty and expensive box with a nice story attached.

I just like knowing that the total sum of everything going into the project adds up to the cleanest sound and has some feeling/sense that it is nicely made; Bordering on the aesthetics and arts in me.

100% agree, and likely goes for any engineer.
Up to that exclamation point, it is not equivalent to fashion, imo.
H'audio Vogue starts where looks and fads gain priority over solid engineering, instead of complementing it.

(Prof's can be caught in metaphors too)

Joined 2007
Paid Member
I agree as well with what is said here.

But I cringe when a popular maker of audio equipment (and who also receives rave reviews in the mags) throws in resistors across the voltage rails of the pre-amp just to warm up the chassis because it is labeled as class A.

IIRC, there was some thread a year or so ago and even a former tech who worked for the company admitted that these were there solely for that purpose. The thread was bashing the company but more from the point of how badly engineered it was.

www.hifisonix.com
Joined 2003
Paid Member
High end audio (i am talking about the very high end, not the mid-fi stuff John is involved in) is akin to Haute Couture.

I was amazed to learn that the whole industry has a clientele of some 200 ( yes 200). But, a single, piece will set the buyer back starting at $50k, with the norm at $500k. No even the Hollywood A list qualify since they simply borrow off the rack $5k or $10k pieces. This stuff is truly aimed at the 1%.

So, $100k for an amp is cheap my friends. Cheap.

Last edited:
This stuff is truly aimed at the 1%.

Likely meant a distortion percentage that's too low to be of any real significance, even a retard as your's truly ranks among the global 0.2% HNWI's.

20 odd years ago, I was at a private home in Germany, that had a +1 million D-mark distributed sound system installed. Place was built like a bunker, had 3' solid reinforced concrete walls (does make one wonder).
It's all relative.

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
No-one disagrees with that. It's a fashion business. Where the contentiousness arises is from unsupported and unsupportable claims about physical processes and audibility that transcend the gestalt of the pretty and expensive box with a nice story attached.

But, SY...

I can say that no one disagrees with that also. There do exist fashion segments in many industries. There are very serious (Stealth bomber) and there are fashion (Private personal jet). And, claims are made everywhere that are not true.... need we just look to our great elected leaders for proof? Some is outright lying and deception. With really truely serious consequences. WE GET IT ! Enough already !
No one will die if they buy a fashion statement audio piece. Even a lousy one with false claims. Its not the world I like but it is the world we live in.... can we just miss an opportunity or two to not bash the known and obvious anymore? because when the moderator does it, everyone thinks they have permission to jump on the bandwagon for pages until nothing serious can be discussed or communicated. Set a better example for us to follow or just moderate.

Thx-RNMarsh

Last edited:
can we just miss an opportunity or two to not bash the known and obvious anymore?

perhaps if it stops being brought up by you know who, despite knowing what happens then, it wouldnt happen.

there are 128 posts by John Curl in this thread alone referencing the word bybee. it fills 5 pages of results. Often actual interesting conversation on audio stuffs is going on and its interrupted to mention bybee, the horrors of digital and opamps (all of which will return similar numbers i'm sure). this happens despite knowing exactly what comes next; some might say because of knowing exactly what comes next. this is completely unprovoked, just periodically dropping the name and its general awesomeness, but refusing to give any details that might halt said criticism; all the while insinuating he has that information.

googleing Bybee+John Curl gives About 688,000 results … now they wont all be Johns doing and they probably wont all be the same Bybee, but from a glance, a heck of a lot of them are.

Last edited:
There do exist fashion segments in many industries. There are very serious (Stealth bomber) and there are fashion (Private personal jet).

The Stealth has to have a demonstrably lower RCS than the Gulfstream. The Gulfstream has to be faster and more comfortable than a Cessna 172. They are not sold with a story about how they use, say, quantum tunneling phenomena to make the engines run better (absent demonstrated performance changes).

Just because a fraud isn't fatal doesn't mean that no-one should call it what it is: fraud. This is an open audio forum devoted to design and construction, with no special protection for bogus storytelling to please the gullible. When a fraud is continually praised by one of the fraudster's dupes, it will get criticized. You'll just have to live with that, I'm afraid.

I'm not moderating this thread. Please reread our rules section.

Status
Not open for further replies.