John Curl's Blowtorch preamplifier part II

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/ever...ee-quantum-purifier-measurement-analysis.html

The results were: Fanfare: It measured like a resistor.

Again, would someone please explain why these devices are only sold and marketed to audiophiles?
They are the only two market that price to performance ratio are not the primary driver. The basis of my question was since it just a resistor are there much more cost effective way to get the same result ? In one of the posts the suggestion that the Bybee be placed between the transformer and the bridge for best results . I may have missed some thing but is that tank circuit (secondary and bridge ) that sensitive to very small resistance ? My understanding was that Snubber need to be much larger to be effective.

Last edited:
The basis of my question was since it just a resistor are there much more cost effective way to get the same result ?

From a technical basis, yes, just buy a 30 milliohm resistor from Mouser or Digikey. From a consumer satisfaction point of view, no, the high price and exotic story is the thing you're buying. It's just like getting homeopathic medicine.

By the way, I once ODed on a homeopathic remedy- I didn't take any.

Well what you do is drop a superconductor into a bucket of resistors. Whack on the bucket a couple of times and then remove one of the resistors and place it in another bucket of resistors.

Whack the new bucket a few times and repeat the process till you have 16 times.

The final bucket wil be full of completely magical resistors.

(For those who are confused look at how some homeopathic medicines are made.)

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Now my personal favorites are magical rocks and wine. One clearly improves the enjoyment of music. If only I could remember which one it was.

ES

Haha! BTW Doug Self references and discusses your Linear Audio resistor article in his new 6th edition. That's at least three persons who believe in it! ;)

jan

Last edited:
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Sometimes the Bybee devices change the sound in the wrong way. I was with Jack at a local Hi fi Dealer when his devices took away the sound 'balance'. We quickly packed up and went to lunch.

That’s strange.
A scientist would grab this opportunity in order to investigate the working of his device. With the help of an engineer, he could record all the external conditions of the “incident” and would try to replicate them in his lab.

My real question 1.is the placebo effect stronger than the hard science used to measure changes in a stereo . Or 2. are the wrong thing being measured that have an extremely poor corollary to how human process sound.

My short answers, assuming music as a stimulus:
1. Placebo effects can’t influence measurements, they influence preferences.
Measurements and some listening tests (DBT) neutralize placebo effects and may influence preferences
2. Not wrong but limited.

When baiting the bear be careful the bear doesn't get you.

Simon, thank you but I feel safe now. I drive a 15 y.o. Skoda.
I can hardly convince my wife to get in for a ride.

George

Status
Not open for further replies.